Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
ericr

Default Lloyd Young Car Auction Today

I went to this today in Central Ohio. The restored Model "A"s I saw sold were a '29 roadster for about 25K, a closed cab pickup truck for about 18, and a '29 Tudor for about 12.

Every time I go to an auction I swear it will be the last. Lloyd was experienced and honorable but I would prefer to drive a car and ask questions before buying.

Also there seems to be a phenomenon where guys are there bidding for somebody on their cell phone. Nothing illegal immoral or fattening about it, maybe not a new practice, just leaves me with a suspicion that a trillionaire somewhere is dominating the market and driving up prices for the rest of us. That's life I guess.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Lloyd Young Car Auction Today

Maybe the phone is the new method of a shill bid.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I have been on the phone many times with customers who were at Barrret and other auctions where they as a bidder are asking last minute questions and my opinion. Nothing shill about it. I also would expect some bidders have called a friend and told them about an A that was up for auction, and the person on the other end of the phone told the auction attendee to bid for them.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #4
[email protected]

Did the pile of Borg Warner Overdrives sell... ? A new source of B/W ODs for the Model A hobby in the future?
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:39 AM   #5
ronn

Maybe the phone is the new method of a shill bid.

absolutely!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:01 AM   #6
Duckfarmer27

I'm not a big poster on here but this time I have to speak up - and I agree with Brent.

I've been on both sides of the block selling things - I'm not an auctioneer but was an owner in a business that heavily used auctioneers. There are disreputable auctioneers out there who will use a shill - or those who will bump you without a shill. You had better have your wits about you and be observant, no matter what you are buying at an auction - or anywhere from anyone for that matter. But I know many auctioneers who I trust implicitly - I'll leave a bid on something with them if I can't be at the auction and not worry one bit about it. But that trust goes both ways because I stand behind my bid. Over the years I've seen all kinds of weaseling going on from someone who had 'buyers remorse' after the fact.

A week ago I was on the phone at an auction - not during the bidding - doing exactly what Brent said. There were numerous cars there and I was comparing notes with my brother to determine how much I was willing to bid on one particular vehicle. Ended up I never raised my hand as other people wanted it a whole lot more than I did! And I have at times in the past during the bidding been on the phone during the actual bidding.

Personally, I enjoy an auction. But then I know many people who are nervous about it - I think because it puts them out of their comfort zone. The risk you take on 'being taken' is versus the chance to 'get a deal'.

All that said I have never seen a buyer get a 'deal' cheap enough nor a seller get what the article is 'really worth' at auction. That is just human nature.

And lets face it - a person with the best of intentions can end up misrepresenting a 90 year old vehicle unintentionally. You can test drive, dicker, have 'your mechanic' look over an old car - and it can blow up loading it on the trailer. Most of us don't have perfect x-ray vision.

My 2 cents on the subject.

Dale
Duckfarmer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #7
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Did the pile of Borg Warner Overdrives sell... ? A new source of B/W ODs for the Model A hobby in the future?

all the parts were sold the day before I got there, though not all removed. Lloyd was a huge collector and the yards were full of piles of things, including what I assume were overdrives.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
holdover

really need to do your homework at an auction. Most auctions where I live have a preview day if there is equipment or vehicles for sale, it is your one chance to check something out before you bid. Unless you know the owner of the vehicle and are sure about the restoration etc, it is best to get other opinions about value before laying out large sums of money. lately it has been my experience that some people will pay a lot more money than I feel things are worth or selling for. I have seen tools sell for more money used and abused than the same name brand item can be bought new. I go for the entertainment...
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:37 AM   #9
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdover View Post
really need to do your homework at an auction. Most auctions where I live have a preview day if there is equipment or vehicles for sale, it is your one chance to check something out before you bid. Unless you know the owner of the vehicle and are sure about the restoration etc, it is best to get other opinions about value before laying out large sums of money. lately it has been my experience that some people will pay a lot more money than I feel things are worth or selling for. I have seen tools sell for more money used and abused than the same name brand item can be bought new. I go for the entertainment...

oh auctions do attract sidewalk superintendents that are not even registered to bid. better than going to a bar, I guess.

I was there to try to buy back a car I had sold to Lloyd but I would have needed the German Army to get me close to the auctioneer. Auctioneers should ask non-bidders to clear a path.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #10
Ted Duke

An item is worth what a buyer is willing to pay. A deal is when the seller and the buyer is happy. Auctions may or may not satisfy both the seller and buyer, BUT, the item has a new home. Enjoy!
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #11
Duckfarmer27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I was there to try to buy back a car I had sold to Lloyd but I would have needed the German Army to get me close to the auctioneer. Auctioneers should ask non-bidders to clear a path.
You need to make sure you can 'yip' - give a yell to get the auctioneer's attention, especially if he is not using any ring men. All you have to do is get noticed once - unless the auctioneer is totally incompetent he will keep you in the running on the bids. You can't be bashful. And as far as asking people to move out - you never know who is going to stick up their hand. Don't want to insult potential bidders.

On the other hand are those on the ego trips who like to wave both arms continuously so as to be noticed while running up a bid. Related to the buyers being 'stroked' by ring men/women on the televised auctions. Those are the ones I like to chuckle at. But I guess the minute of televised fame is worth the price, at least to them. And it increases the sale price, to the benefit of the auctioneer/company/seller so I can't blame them one bit.
Reminds me of the scene in the movie Pretty Woman when getting the sales gals to 'suck up'.

Dale
Old 08-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #12
Gene F

I was there too. Give me a day or two to cool down, before I comment. ERICR, what car were you interested in?
Gene F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:35 PM   #13
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
I was there too. Give me a day or two to cool down, before I comment. ERICR, what car were you interested in?

I had sold Lloyd a 1920s oddball assembled car named an Elcar, made in Elkhart Indiana. I was the second owner and I had dissembled it and restored various components but never had the time-funds-to completely restore it.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #14
ronn

"On the other hand are those on the ego trips who like to wave both arms continuously so as to be noticed while running up a bid. "

sometimes this maneuver works in chasing all of the bidders away.

worked for me once and bought a pair of beautiful violins for squat.............
Old 08-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #15
Duckfarmer27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
"On the other hand are those on the ego trips who like to wave both arms continuously so as to be noticed while running up a bid. "

sometimes this maneuver works in chasing all of the bidders away.

worked for me once and bought a pair of beautiful violins for squat.............
Yep - can be a real fun mind game at times. Extra fun when the 'other bidder(s) are screaming in your face accusing you of being a government agent - that happened to me once. Made for an amusing day. More than once I've got in the bidding to either snag a deal or make them pay what the item is worth.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #16
Jeff/Illinois

I lean towards the 'shill bid' philosophy too. I've been around too many crooked auctioneers and have seen too many 'deals' flying around. Too many shady things going on. Pulling bids out of thin air from bidders in the very back of the crowd that don't exist. All kinds of crap.

Trust no one.

Or at a Model A cars and parts auction I was at two years ago, where the auctioneer would call out a bid for one dollar and then immediately close the bidding 'Well, Mike buys another one today....' Mike was buying NOS radiators and excellent blocks, fenders, rims, you name it. Several of us had our hands in the air, and were complaining loudly. But the auctioneer didn't 'see' us even though we were right in front of him. He stopped the sale and said 'if you want to bid boys, get your hands in the air so we can see you. '

I walked away and will never go to another one of his sales.

So in answer to the first post, 'YES" all kinds of crooked crap happens at auctions. You have to be aware of what is going on around you. Phone bidders don't ride well with me at all.

Oh yes one other thing. Just look at all the junk cars trading hands on E-Bay and even the major auction houses and classic car consignment shops. Many are mis-represented. People are buying them sight unseen, the sellers are stating that they are 'mint' and such when many are pure junk. Barn Find don't you love that one, it was probably a problem car is why it got shoved in a barn in the first place. Anyway, the buyer finds out too late when they drop this junk off at his/her house.

Today's world. No shortage of liars and con men out there.

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 08-13-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #17
Tom Wesenberg

What Jeff just explained is exactly what happened to me a few times. I only knew one auctioneer back in the 70's and 80's that was a great guy and could be trusted to run an honest auction. I'm sure Paul Wagner has passed by now though.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:56 AM   #18
Wick

The future of auctions is online now during the week. You can inspect the items a few days before.
I attend maybe 2 live auctions a year now.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:32 AM   #19
ronn

Trust no one.

a lesson everyone needs to learn early on...............!
Old 08-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #20
divcoone

The auctioneer is working for the seller, not the buyer.
divcoone is online now   Reply With Quote