Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: PCV VALVE SYSTEM for 8BA with Early Intake Manifold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunateson View Post
Yep, that's the oil pan I have... a little different from my other one where the engine came out of truck. That one was rebuilt at one point but it doesn't have the 8RT casting mark so I presume they fitted a car block into the 1/2ton truck.

I'll be checking on the oil pump...

Remember this one rule: SAME BLOCK...Ford, Mercury, truck or automobile!

Here is that oh-so-rare (hard to replace) Mercury oil pump 'pick-up' assembly that goes with that oil pan. DD

…………………….

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #22
Fortunateson

I knew about "the same block for all!" company edict which makes sense except for the different block identification marks. Now that oil pump doesn't look familiar. If I use the Merc oil pan is it essential to use that pump or would theFord pump work OK? I do have the truck oil pan...
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:32 PM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
I knew about "the same block for all!" company edict which makes sense except for the different block identification marks. Now that oil pump doesn't look familiar. If I use the Merc oil pan is it essential to use that pump or would theFord pump work OK? I do have the truck oil pan...

It's the pump 'PICK-UP' and the attached, round baffle that are the oddballs. These pics show how the round baffle fits snugly into the round hole in the MERCURY pan baffle. The pumps are essentially the same, physically. What kind of car are you putting this in? ALSO, what type of transmission are you going to bolt-up to? One more thing to remember....you can use whichever oil pan you choose, but you MUST have and utilize that pan's MATCHING 'starter plate'. DD

………………………..

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #24
Fortunateson

The engine will be going into my '32 5W. Have the starter plates for both engines along with everything else. Can the Ford oil pump be used in the Merc pan?

By the way I hade the extra Ford cam reground to a Isky Max1 twin by Shadbolts cam service here in Vancouver for a very reasonable price. I thought it would be better to save the Merc cam.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:12 PM   #25
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
The engine will be going into my '32 5W. Have the starter plates for both engines along with everything else. Can the Ford oil pump be used in the Merc pan?

You MAY (or may not) have to trim that baffle in the Mercury pan to clear the Ford pick-up tube. You also should beware of the possible difference in proximity of the Ford pick-up with the bottom of the Merc pan. Do you know if that "Merc" engine does IN FACT have the Merc oil pick-up? If it does, I'd say that IS likely a REAL Merc engine.

Are you using an old Ford 3-speed trans? DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-13-2020, 12:24 AM   #26
Fortunateson

Been busy again but better late in replying than never...

I believe both engines have the same oil pickup but have to 2x check. The tranny is a post war truck which will be converted to closed drive. I need the main shaft and possibly second gear if I want to use my LZ setup. I've read pros and cons on this. Rear end is 3.78.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #27
19Fordy

V8 and Heard: You guys are a great team. Thank you very much for all that hands on research and posting a truly exceptional tech article. Taking the time to take photos and then your detailed and clear explanation sure makes this an exceptional piece of info.
You hit a grand slam.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:18 PM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
V8 and Heard: You guys are a great team. Thank you very much for all that hands on research and posting a truly exceptional tech article. Taking the time to take photos and then your detailed and clear explanation sure makes this an exceptional piece of info.
You hit a grand slam.

Awe shucks, Jim! Coming from you, that is VERY much appreciated!

Dick D (DD)

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-13-2020, 02:26 PM   #29
Ol' Ron

I agree.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #30
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Been busy again but better late in replying than never...

I believe both engines have the same oil pickup but have to 2x check. The tranny is a post war truck which will be converted to closed drive. I need the main shaft and possibly second gear if I want to use my LZ setup. I've read pros and cons on this. Rear end is 3.78.

The DIFFERENT oil pick-ups are each shaped to work with the different pan configurations for different applications, like Ford cars, Ford trucks, Mercurys….all use differently-configured oil pans. In fact, this list below from Mac VanPelt's catalog shows the number of different 8BA-type oil pans.

8BA- 6675-C Oil Pan (49-50 Ford V8) - Mid sump - horizontal drain plug
1BA- 6675-A Oil Pan (51 Ford V8) - angled drain plug
1BA- 6675-C Oil Pan (52 Ford V8) - Mid sump - angled drain plug - 2 side ribs
1BA- 6675-D Oil Pan (52-53 Ford V8) - Mid sump - angled drain plug - 3 side ribs
8CM- 6675-C Oil Pan (49-51 Merc) - Rear sump - stud reinforcement at bottom)
1M- 6675 Oil Pan (51 Merc) - Rear sump - w/o stud reinforcement at bottom)
AE- 6675-A Oil Pan (52-53 Merc) - Mid sump - rear drain plug - 3 side ribs
8RT- 6675-B Oil Pan (48-53 Truck V8) - rear sump with cleanout
8RT- 6675-D Oil Pan (53 Truck V8) - long rear to mid sump without cleanout

The Lincoln-Zephyr gear sets require their own, unique 2nd gears and cluster gears. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-13-2020, 03:45 PM   #31
Fortunateson

That's a heck of a lot of oil pans! I have what came with each engine. I'll try to look at the Merc pan today.

I have the LZ cluster gears in great shape. Second may just need a little judicious filing but the main shaft has one tooth removed better than a dentist could do!

Last edited by Fortunateson; 08-14-2020 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:06 PM   #32
blucar

Excellent write up with a lot of work to solve a very simple problem; how to get good ventilation into an engine.
The one problem I see with placing the PCV adjacent to the oil fill tube is that in order for crankcase ventilation to work you have to have a fresh air source that is drawn through the engine and into the intake manifold to be burnt off in lieu of escaping into the atmosphere.
Placing the PCV so close to the fresh-air source will draw the fresh air into the PCV and not through the engine.
Placing the PCV into the manifold in front of the carb will create a better path/route for air circulation with-in the engine.
I like the PCV system that the '63-64 292 V8 truck engines used. The rear draft tube is eliminated in favor of a metal bonnet that fits into the block, a line runs from there to a location in front of the carb. The PCV screws into a hole in the manifold. Fresh air is drawn into the engine block via the oil fill pipe at the front of the engine.
I have attached a couple oCV system on my '57 T-Bird..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57 312 PCV.jpg (41.1 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg 57 312 PCV.1.jpg (53.0 KB, 277 views)
Old 08-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #33
Heard

Bill,
I think you misunderstand how this is plumbed. The air is drawn down through the filler tube vent into the crankcase, then up through the old original fill tube at the front of the block, across the valve chamber area back to the rear of the block, then up through the pcv valve, out through the spacer block and into the manifold.

The line from the fill tube at the front of the engine to the pvc valve is sealed. No way for the pcv to draw air anywhere EXCEPT from the crankcase.

Heard
Old 08-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #34
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heard View Post
Bill,
I think you misunderstand how this is plumbed. The air is drawn down through the filler tube vent into the crankcase, then up through the old original fill tube at the front of the block, across the valve chamber area back to the rear of the block, then up through the pcv valve, out through the spacer block and into the manifold.

The line from the fill tube at the front of the engine to the pvc valve is sealed. No way for the pcv to draw air anywhere EXCEPT from the crankcase.

Heard

Yup, clear as mud! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-14-2020, 09:03 PM   #35
Fortunateson

Different oil pans. I have one truck and one regular (?) car pan. The reinforcement had me confused. Why was that required?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63C921CB-E84F-4E28-9AA0-BE39515D8145.jpg (36.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 3A63252C-829A-4F0D-BB11-E02C3657FE41.jpg (43.4 KB, 333 views)
Old 08-15-2020, 12:53 AM   #36
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Different oil pans. I have one truck and one regular (?) car pan. The reinforcement had me confused. Why was that required?

Is this bracket with the two "U"-shaped slots the "reinforcement" that you're referring to? If so, that bracket is required as a solid and steadying attachment point for the bottom of the starter plate that goes with that pan. Starter plate versions are meant to match their respective oil pan types. DD

………………..

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 08-15-2020, 11:42 AM   #37
blucar

Reviewing the original question; Early intake manifold on a 8BA type of engine and the accompanying pix shows the PCV system plumbed into the rear oil fill/breather tube, no front fill/breather tube. If the copper tube running through the valve lifter chamber is the intended source of air flow from the lower crankcase, I doubt if that pipe would have the capacity to ventilate the engine.
Some Early Ford V8 pans have a 'draft' vent located in the front left of the pan. This vent must be closed off if a PCV system is installed on the engine.
Some people maintain that a closed crankcase system, PCV, won't work on a EFV8 engine because the rear main is not sealed, thereby the PCV will draw contaminates through the flywheel/clutch area and into the crankcase/engine.
I am getting ready to take the engine out of my '36, so that I can take it down to H & H to have the engine freshened up. It has not been touched since it's last rebuild in 1960. It is my intention to drill/thread a hole in the front portion of the Offy Super intake for a Ford 292 PCV which will plumbed into the vacuum port to the rear of the second carb.

Last edited by blucar; 08-15-2020 at 11:51 AM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #38
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
Reviewing the original question; Early intake manifold on a 8BA type of engine and the accompanying pix shows the PCV system plumbed into the rear oil fill/breather tube, no front fill/breather tube. If the copper tube running through the valve lifter chamber is the intended source of air flow from the lower crankcase, I doubt if that pipe would have the capacity to ventilate the engine.
Some Early Ford V8 pans have a 'draft' vent located in the front left of the pan. This vent must be closed off if a PCV system is installed on the engine.
Some people maintain that a closed crankcase system, PCV, won't work on a EFV8 engine because the rear main is not sealed, thereby the PCV will draw contaminates through the flywheel/clutch area and into the crankcase/engine.
I am getting ready to take the engine out of my '36, so that I can take it down to H & H to have the engine freshened up. It has not been touched since it's last rebuild in 1960. It is my intention to drill/thread a hole in the front portion of the Offy Super intake for a Ford 292 PCV which will plumbed into the vacuum port to the rear of the second carb.
I'm not following this at all. No PCV system is going to vent more air than the size of the PCV valve and the connected tubing. Want difference would it make if the tubing is routed on top of the manifold or under the manifold?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:38 PM   #39
Fortunateson

Yep. I have all that I need but still am curious about a PCV valve system for my application.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220CD249-61B6-4AA4-8E75-78CB0038DC96.jpg (52.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg A7412C2E-2D81-4D5B-8395-E326027FC9D3.jpg (54.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 286F2302-B815-4525-8DE7-8A3262998BF3.jpg (54.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #40
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Hello Fortunate....This might be interesting, at least to YOU and me. Can you give me an exact model number for that Fenton manifold, or maybe a better description? Can we assume that it IS an intake made for the later '49-'54 engine? No mistake there, the rest of you's guys! The "C"8BA is the Canadian version, and Canuck flatheads lasted into 1954 beyond the border. Any other interesting details about your project? DD
Quote:
Yep. I have all that I need but still am curious about a PCV valve system for my application.

Fortunate......Ya know, way back there in post #16 of this thread, I asked: "Can you give me an exact model number for that Fenton manifold, or maybe a better description?" You've asked every question under the sun since then (which I've tried my best to answer), but I don't recall you helping me out (YET) with a better ID on that Fenton manifold, or at least a picture or two. I can't reasonably begin to help you with YOUR application if I don't know what we're working with. So, the ball's back in your court....again! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE