Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
rustyrocket

Default rust repair on top insert trim question.

Soon I will be getting ready to have the insert material installed on my 32 sedan. My 3 trim strips that tack down around the outside are solid but have pitting on them, what is the best product to fill the pits before the trim gets painted? I dont think plastic body filler sounds like the right product. I've heard of something called metal to metal that sounds like a stronger product.
rustyrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
john worden

Default Re: rust repair on top insert trim question.

If the trim strips are weak due to pitting there isn't a filler made that will restore strength. I don't know of anything better than a good grade of plastic filler for surface pits.
Any rust issues have to be taken care of first no matter what you do.

Last edited by john worden; 07-03-2014 at 10:57 PM. Reason: add info
john worden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #3
Lawson Cox

Metal-2-Metal is a good product, but it too is a plastic filler, with metal mixed in. Probably aluminum.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
A bones

J-B WELD Is sandable and paintable. Will clean up with with kero or WD40 while wet (immediately). Keep your rags and oil handy. Be certain to wash oils off with metal prep or Savogran before paint. I use picnic ware spoons or knives to work it. Sand it with wet or dry. I read here a good way to get the mix right for a small job is a one inch or so blob of steel surrounded by a circumference of hardener. I've been known to just empty both tubes all at once for a bigger job. Got one going on right now.
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
DICK SPADARO

The easiest Material to make repairs is as suggested by A bones J_B Weld expoxies Do not attempt to do this on the car place the tack strip on a flat surface and clean off rust or sand blast metal clean and then apply expoxy, let harden and then sand smooth. To install back on car, use short paneling nails and pilot drill holes for nailing using the tack strip as a guide and a drill slightly smaller than the diameter of the panel nail. The roof wood is very hard so pilot drilling will allow the nail to bite and not bend if hit off center. To get the head of the nail flush set the nail with a flat face drift punch
Old 07-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
rustyrocket

Thanks guys j.b. weld it is then. My trim is nice and solid but pitted. I guess my other question is why doesnt anyone make this stuff new?
rustyrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
DavidG

I've found using #2 or #3 wood screws to be a better alternative to nails particulary with regard to the four corners of the strips. If the underlying wood is original, you can use the existing holes in the wood for the screws. While not easy to find, screws with flat Robertson heads with the appropriate driver minimize the chances of the chipping the paint on your strips (which is a real risk when nails are used).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Ok, I know nothing about 32s, but the thread is interesting to read. Does anyone have photos so we can see what trim pieces you are referring to?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
John R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
I've found using #2 or #3 wood screws to be a better alternative to nails particulary with regard to the four corners of the strips. If the underlying wood is original, you can use the existing holes in the wood for the screws. While not easy to find, screws with flat Robertson heads with the appropriate driver minimize the chances of the chipping the paint on your strips (which is a real risk when nails are used).
The smallest Robertson (square drive) wood screw I could find was #6 (also too long at 1 5/8"). Admittedly, it was only a quick search. Can you suggest a source? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
DavidG

Your best bet to find a good selection of Robertson head screws is to Google Canadian fastener suppliers. It is a common screw head design in Canada.

The photo below is of the '32 strip. The '33-'34 strip consists of two pieces, the outer one larger than, but similar to the '32 strip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 218.jpg (18.7 KB, 25 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote