Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2019, 07:07 PM   #1
JMFL36

Default 54 Merc stalls when put into gear

I have a 54 Merc with original drivetrain. Motor starts and runs fine, but stalls when I shift into reverse or drive. The column shifter is fairly hard to get out of park, clunks into gear, and then the motor dies. Only after the motor is fully warmed up will it stay running when shifted into gear. The car is new to me. No tranny fluid leaks, but I did notice the fluid shows 1/2" above full on the dipstick. Any suggestions?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 54 Merc stalls when put into gear

1) If it is a Ford-O-Matic or Merc-O-Matic, the fluid level should be checked with engine running with gear select lever in NEUTRAL. Fluid should be type "A" (if you can find it). The recommended replacement fluid is Mercon/Dexron or Dexron II.
2) I recommend disconnecting the gear shift link from the transmission lever under the car (engine NOT running). Place the gear shift lever in Park, then go back under the car and push the Ford-O-Matic lever all the way up and hold it there while trying to insert the gear shift linkage rod into the hole at the end of the lever. If the linkage won't go in, your transmission shift linkage is out of adjustment. Adjust to fit and repeat the entire procedure with gear shift lever in NEUTRAL and trans lever in the middle detent. The rod should go into the lever freely.
I don't know about the Mercury, but the same year Ford did not have any wiring associated with the coil circuit in the steering column. All you should have is turn-signal wiring. You have the starter-neutral switch at the bottom of the steering column, but it is only an enabler switch that completes the circuit allowing the starter to crank. A second circuit of that switch enables the back-up lights to operate when the gear shift lever is in reverse.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
scicala

If it only stalls when you put it in gear before the engine is warmed up, you may have an issue with the choke not closing enough to be on the fast idle cam, or the cold idle speed screw isn't adjusted properly. There are two idle speed screws on the drivers side of the carb. The inner screw is for cold idle speed (when on the fast idle cam). The outer screw is for the hot idle speed after the choke is completely open.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
JMFL36

Thanks for the tips. I'm borrowing a dwell/tach meter from a friend tomorrow and will adjust the carb and report back.