Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
Leon Sandcastle

Default 1940 1.5 ton

I just purchased a 1940 1.5 ton with ford flatbed and need to know where I can get parts, especially brakes and chassis parts. Any help would be great. I'd prefer to keep original, but can't find much. Rockauto has some parts, as does some ford parts houses, but they don't carry everything.
Leon Sandcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 1940 1.5 ton

Leon,
Brake and chassis parts can most likely be had from Joblot Automotive in New York. I would suggest you ask for James, 800-221-0172.
They have a lot of the "heavy" truck parts, much of which is WWII surplus stock.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
38bill

The problem with the big trucks is that very little is being manufactured for them. Most parts available will be NOS or used. Don't know if they have much for trucks but you could also try Little Dearborn in Minneapolis, MN. They have been buying up old stock for decades.

http://www.littledearborn.com/
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
51504bat

When I had my '40 1 1/2 tons I was able to get a USA made master cylinder from Joe's Antique Auto. My local parts store was able to get front and rear brake cylinders, seals, and hoses without much problem. You'll have to send out the brake shoes to get them relined usually at a shop that does big trucks. FYI: the seals are pricey. I have some misc. parts left over from when I had '40's. PM me with any wants. I may have something you need.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
Leon Sandcastle

Does anyone have images of the chassis and front axle assembly? I am guessing it's a bit different than the cars and light pickups they built that year. I haven't picked it up yet, so I am just trying to figure things out.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:06 PM   #6
41panelmark

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Leon, welcome. Great to have another ton truck on board. Check out my tonners page on the community page. The above parts sources are good starting points, got a lot from Job lot myself. By the way, when redoing the front brake lines, take care and do not loose the machined adaptors used for the slave cylinders. You will need them when you install the new hoses. Please post lots.of photos.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:14 AM   #7
Leon Sandcastle

Bad news on the truck front, it has a blown motor, but for $300 not to bad, just have to figure out what the next step will be, no matter what, the truck will be on the road again.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #8
41panelmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Sandcastle View Post
Bad news on the truck front, it has a blown motor, but for $300 not to bad, just have to figure out what the next step will be, no matter what, the truck will be on the road again.
Looking forward to seeing pictures.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:07 AM   #9
GB SISSON

That's actually good news. Now you'll know what's in it. Now the fun begins. For parts call Bob Selzam in NJ. His business is called 'half ton fun'. Google that info and you'll get his number. Half tons are just the beginning for him. All ford, all truck. Lots nos big stuff. I might have his card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3657.jpg (28.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3659.jpg (27.1 KB, 19 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #10
Leon Sandcastle

I was looking to do a brake upgrade on the front. Would the speedway kit work? I know it will work with car spindles but have not yet found any info if it'll work on my truck. I'm looking to make it a good driver and want it to stop better than stock.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

When you say Speedway kit which one are you referring to, they sell several. The hydraulic brake setup with the Lincoln backing plates?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #12
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Sandcastle View Post
I was looking to do a brake upgrade on the front. Would the speedway kit work? I know it will work with car spindles but have not yet found any info if it'll work on my truck. I'm looking to make it a good driver and want it to stop better than stock.
I bought a front brake kit for the tonner from Joblot in Queens, NY. They also had a kingpin/bushing kit which made a big difference in the steering.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #13
Leon Sandcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
When you say Speedway kit which one are you referring to, they sell several. The hydraulic brake setup with the Lincoln backing plates?
Disc was my first thought. I just wanted to stop better in traffic, and thought disc brakes would be the best way to go, it would be a minor mod from the original but one that would be safer.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #14
alan

drum brakes on a 1 1/2 ton truck with no load will stop the truck very easily. disc brake conversion from speedway and others will only work on 1/2 ton pick ups. I made an adapter and installed a dual master cylinder from a F250 ford with drum/drum brakes. brake hoses were easy to source, only problem was the rear wheel cylinders-had to really hunt for a kit for them
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #15
flatheadmurre

You got plenty of stoppping power if you get the brakes done.
A disc conversion is money you could spend better if you ask me.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #16
Lawson Cox

[QUOTE=Leon Sandcastle;1102440]I just purchased a 1940 1.5 ton with ford flatbed and need to know where I can get parts, especially brakes and chassis parts. Any help would be great. I'd prefer to keep original, but can't find much. Rockauto has some parts, as does some ford parts houses, but they don't carry everything.[/QUOTE

I would stay away from Rock Auto Parts. They will send you something you didn't order, even after talking with a salesman and explaining what you wanted and definitely did not want. They sent me what I expressly told the salesperson that I did not want, and then wouldn't reimburse me for return shipping. Crooks of the first water.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #17
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have order a lot of parts from Rock Auto. Good (Very Good) prices on US made older stock parts. I have never talked to anyone, I order online using the part numbers I want.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:16 AM   #18
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
You got plenty of stoppping power if you get the brakes done.
A disc conversion is money you could spend better if you ask me.
I agree. The OEM brake system properly setup will give plenty of stopping power. The only way to improve it would be to install a vacuum booster which was available for the large trucks in 1940. IMO from a safety point of view money better spent would be to invest in radial type rims and tires.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:47 AM   #19
32forddump

Any interest in a 1943 ton half truck? I have a truck that was a fire truck at the Quonset naval base in R.I.. It is in primer and includes most everything you need to complete. Comes with title and the truck has original engine which runs.

I.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:14 AM   #20
Leon Sandcastle

No thanks, I have one big truck, the Mrs would murder me if I brought another home.