Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
msbrown6

Default Broken head stud

Today, while retorquing my head nuts, I broke off the #3 head stud. Aargh! This is my first broken head stud - and on searching the forums, I thankful to see I'm not alone. I've ordered some new head studs to be here in a few days. In the meantime, I'll take off the head once again - and I think I'll try the weld a washer and nut to the broken off stud trick as it sounds most promising to get the broken stud out. I have read about other tools available for some of the lower and mid shaft fractures - but I suspect mine is likely broken off at the base. Just wondering if anyone has any other tips to share to avoid this in the future? Also, I just replaced the head gasket - and am ordering a new one as I bet taking off the head will damage the new one I just installed a couple of weeks ago. Aargh again... Thanks for any advice fellas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2988.jpg (59.5 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2988x.jpg (37.1 KB, 156 views)
msbrown6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #2
CWPASADENA

Default Re: Broken head stud

Using good quality hardened studs will usually prevent this. Your head gasket will stay tighter also.

Getting a broken stud out that is broken off flush with the block can be a challenge.

Just use plenty of patience.

You will now need to get the others out without breaking them.

Good luck.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:48 PM   #3
Norm M

I picked up some engines not too long ago and two of them had head studs broken flush with the block. I used the "TIG method" that Vince Falter shows on his web page http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/studremoval.htm The first engine had four broken studs and the weld broke on all of them the first time I tried. I welded again and two came out, the next time number 3 came out and the fourth attempt, the last one came out. The threads are nice and clean. This method worked great. I spoke to another member of the club and he MIG welded a bolt to the stud to get his out.
Norm M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:05 AM   #4
verdirick

Here is my TRIED and TRUE method that I have used on several occasions. Use a mandrel guide for a 23/64 left hand drill to remove the broken stud without damaging the original 7/16 threads. I believe this handy tool is available from several of the parts dealers (Bert's, Snyder's) You will need to use these guides with the head back on the block. First pass is with a 1/4 bit with its guide and then go to the 23/64 guide with the left hand bit to finish removal of the stud leaving the threads to be cleaned out with a pick followed final cleanup with a 7/16 bottom tap. Take you time don't get in a hurry.
I've never tried Vince Falter's TIG weld washer system, but it looks good too.
Which every, DONT TRY to drill it out without a drill guide…
Good LUCK
Rick Jensen
verdirick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:32 AM   #5
marc silva

Can someone explain to me why welding on a washer and nut onto a broken off stud would be any different than the nut that is already on the stud? I am referring to head nut removal. Seems to me that if you are trying to remove the head nuts and the stud breaks off it is pretty much stuck in the block. Why would welding another nut on be any different? if it didn't break free the first time why would it with a welded on nut? To me it would only work if the studs have been removed prior and the threads chased,and,had never seize or something on the threads making the stud unscrew easy with no bind on the threads. Thanks, Marc
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:40 AM   #6
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc silva View Post
Can someone explain to me why welding on a washer and nut onto a broken off stud would be any different than the nut that is already on the stud? I am referring to head nut removal. Seems to me that if you are trying to remove the head nuts and the stud breaks off it is pretty much stuck in the block. Why would welding another nut on be any different? if it didn't break free the first time why would it with a welded on nut? To me it would only work if the studs have been removed prior and the threads chased,and,had never seize or something on the threads making the stud unscrew easy with no bind on the threads. Thanks, Marc
The key to the process is the heat cycles of the material. The expansion and contraction of the stud when heated is what breaks it loose.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:41 AM   #7
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc silva View Post
The welding process puts enough heat into the broken stud to cause it to expand a little, and then it shrinks as it cools. This helps to break the rust/carbon bond that is seizing the threads to the block.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:42 AM   #8
noboD

When you weld anything the metal shrinks. Plus the heat from welding helps to loosen the stud.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:55 AM   #9
marc silva

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated! I will give that technique a try to see how it works.
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #10
GordonC

I have actually been able to use this method to remove broken studs with a Mig set up as well. Sometimes you do have to put the washer and nut on a couple times though.
GordonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #11
wrndln

When welding a washer & nut on the broken stud, it is important the top of the stud is clean to get a good weld on it. I have used this method to remove the buggered up screws on CCPU doors. It worked great.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

On Vermin, we broke off the top end off one of the LOOOONG studs, with a stud remover. The head was stuck beyond BELIEF!--Gregg wore out 17 drill bits, before we got that DANGED chunk of iron off!!!
Bill Tiredfromwatching
Old 11-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #13
msbrown6

Thanks for the advice. I hope it doesn't take 17 drill bits!
msbrown6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #14
Y-Blockhead

I recently broke my $nap-On stud puller while removing studs from an engine that was given to me.
The stud puller was worth WAY more than the engine...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 11-27-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #15
Lona

Sometimes, not knowing any better works. At 17 yrs old, my '30 coupe had a head gasket leak and one stud broke off while removing the head. I drilled out the broken stud with a hand held drill with a bit slightly smaller than the stud diameter so I could pick out the thread pieces. Of course, the drill didn't go in straight and I damaged the threads. Not to be stopped, I drilled out the messed up hole with a larger bit, tapped the hole for a larger thread and fabricated my own stud in metal shop class with a larger diameter bottom and a standard top end. Put the head back on and drove the car for the next two years with no problems.

I like the above suggestions better!

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:46 PM   #16
Y-Blockhead

And now you can actually buy an oversize stud as you describe.

https://www.brattons.com/over-size-t...long-stud.html

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 11-27-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #17
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I recently broke my $nap-On stud puller while removing studs from an engine that was given to me.
The stud puller was worth WAY more than the engine...

Do snap on have a lifetime replacement guarantee on their tools? Considering their price, they should. I often see the Snap on truck about but have never bought any of their tools. I prefer Sidchrome (Australian Co). Cheaper and no questions asked replacement so long as they haven't been modified. I just had a 10mm spanner replaced after nearly 50 years of consistent use.

Last edited by Synchro909; 11-28-2017 at 04:16 AM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:58 AM   #18
ronn

Yes, snap on gives lifetime replacement-as does craftsman and huskie.

but who knows how long any of them will be in business.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

Snap-On will replace ANYTHING, as long as you have a many YEARS LOOOOOONG running charge account with them!!!
Bill Broke
Old 11-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #20
katy

Quote:
Snap-On will replace ANYTHING, as long as you have a many YEARS LOOOOOONG running charge account with them!!!
Exactly, try getting warranty from Snap-on when you're not a regular customer and they won't even talk to you.
Snap-on used to be the largest tool company in the world, anybody know if they still are?