Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
flathead 53

Default power steering valve

Anyone using the Heidts adjustable power steering valve ,to get more road feel in older cars.
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: power steering valve

I don't know which pump/steering gear combination you are using, but I have a "canned ham" style GM type pump on my '55 feeding a Saginaw 605 integral steering box. I used the shim kit to reduce the pressure on my pump to the point that it wouldn't assist at idle and it still didn't effect to road feel. I took out just enough shim to get power assist at idle. Not knowing your set-up, I'm just giving you my experience with reducing pressure. It appears that the Heidts valve would rather troublesome to install if it has no affect on road feel.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #3
flathead 53

the car is a 65 mercury comet caliente. the heidts adjustable valve is adjustable with a by pass to limit the pressure to the ram,which in turn will make the car harder to steer.in theory it should work fine . the valve has a knob on it so you can adjust to the feel that you want. HEIDTS valve PS-101
Old 11-20-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
40cpe

Your steering set up is completely different from mine. If you try it let us know how it works out.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #5
miker98038

I’ve got a Saginaw pump, 70’s style, kinda looks like a canned ham. Running against a Cavalier rack in my 55 bird thru the Heidt’s valve. It turns the pressure down fine and takes all of the “twitchy” feel out at highway speeds. On a ram type power setup I always found them dead on center due to the design at the valve. It needs pressure on both sides for dead ahead and then adds boost when you turn the wheel. I pulled a p/s pump for rebuild on a ram system once and drove the car. It really wandered on center without the pressure. I think it’s similar to your system, so I suspect lowering the pressure will introduce that same wander or looseness on center. I don’t think it’s going to add better feel.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Post Re: power steering valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead 53 View Post

the car is a 65 mercury comet caliente. the heidts adjustable valve is adjustable with a by pass to limit the pressure to the ram,which in turn will make the car harder to steer.in theory it should work fine . the valve has a knob on it so you can adjust to the feel that you want. HEIDTS valve PS-101
If you still have the original steering/Eaton pump/suspension, there is an adjustment @ the control valve to control sensitivity.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:55 AM   #7
flathead 53

Thanks, it is all original, I will look in the shop manuel for the adjustment info.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:40 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: power steering valve

I forgot to and should have mentioned these systems are very sensitive and all bushings/joints must be tight and to factory spec or the car will dash and wander.

There is a ball socket asm @ the control valve that connects the valve to the pitman arm 3590. That wears and will lead to the feel you are describing. It is attached (not shown separately) to the control valve 3A130 in the below ILL. Repair kits are available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering Linkage- 65 MUST PWR _2.jpg (44.9 KB, 9 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #9
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
If you still have the original steering/Eaton pump/suspension, there is an adjustment @ the control valve to control sensitivity.
Take the left front wheel off and then turn the steering all the way to the right and remove the cap (two screws). This will expose the adjustment for the original Eaton system. Pictures are from my 53' Merc'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7665.jpg (68.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7668.jpg (54.5 KB, 11 views)
Merc Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
5851a

The ball socket assembly has a plug or zerk and was often neglected at lube intervals. Personally I like the OE feel from the day over R&P that comes on everything now days.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote