Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #21
Mike Peters

Default Re: Early 1928 tudor sedan

Yes, after looking at lots of later Model A's, these early cars do really get your attention. I can't help but look at the paint, and not to belabor the obvious, but green isn't listed as either an early or late 28 color. Vagabond green is listed as a 29 Tudor color. With such a correct chassis from what we can see, this car would make a good fine point candidate to restore. Is that an original center bumper clamp?
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #22
frankfalcone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
I hope the previous owner didn't sell due to health issues. It's obvious he was VERY serious about doing it justice. The interior fabric was custom made for a handful of folks with very early cars to match the original which was only used for a few months. Similarly, the braided strip across the top of the door and rear side trim panels was also a near perfect duplicate to the original custom made at BIG bucks per foot.

I have no idea who the previous owner was but the one photo tells the story. It's great to see an example of someone going the extra mile because they care.
It's still the original interior. It has a little wear in the rug, but otherwise the interior still looks much like new. The car sat from 1956 until about two weeks ago. Thank you for noticing the detail.
frankfalcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #23
Mike

Frank,
We should do a photo shoot of your car so Brent & Marco and others can see how unique this car is !! I will not post the engine number until I clear it with you.

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #24
ModAfan

What is the cutoff date for "early" '28s? I recently bought this May '28. Does it come under the "early" umbrella? Also, what is an "AR" Model A?
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (41.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg side.jpg (86.1 KB, 57 views)
ModAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModAfan View Post
What is the cutoff date for "early" '28s? I recently bought this May '28. Does it come under the "early" umbrella? Also, what is an "AR" Model A?
Thanks.
The cars with the parking brake handle next to the left door are generally refered to as "AR". Your's with the center parking brake would be a mid 28 and not called "AR".

AR is not a correct term and you can see threads about it by using the SEARCH feature at the upper right.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:51 PM   #26
glenn in camino

The steering column on my 6/1/28 tudor does not have a grease fitting to lube the sector shaft. I've always thought that it must be an early column. True or false?
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
The steering column on my 6/1/28 tudor does not have a grease fitting to lube the sector shaft. I've always thought that it must be an early column. True or false?
Yep, my 9-27-28 has the grease fitting.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #28
frankfalcone

Default Early 1928 tudor sedan Features

Special or Unique Features of
Early 1928 Fords and Car #A24981
· Left hand squeeze grip handle emergency brake is the most recognizable early feature used with a single brake system.
· The brake and clutch pedal were smooth and axle Ford script.
· Early wheels are not interchangeable in later 1928 cars.
· Early hub caps were marked Ford script Made in the USA with the manufacturers trademark “R””W”, “* star”.
· Early design lug nuts are 11/16th hex head.
· Steering wheels were rust red in color in 1928.
· Horn and light switch with on-off-dim and arrow engravings.
· Open bale light switch was used until February 1928 and has a knurled cover without a drain hole. There were fluted lenses on the single bulb headlights.
· Drum tail light and license plate bracket marked with the Duolight and Ford script.
· Sparton horn with dated patent plate 2-1928. Between January and March 1928 “SPARTON” was stamped on the motor base. The flat horn screen was used until late 1928.
· Owen-Dyneto electric windshield wiper with large Ford script and small Made in USA.
· Early Able starter with off-set pedal, rod and switch obsolete at about 50,000.
· Early ignition cables were called “banana pop out.” Banana pop outs were discontinued in June 1928.
· Powerhouse generator with five brushes. Cut out on the side.
· Original Bakelite rough finished terminal box with Ford script on the cover.
· Coil slant pole large Ford script. A – American Bosch. Cloth covered high tension wire from the coil to the distributor cap.
· In 1928, the distributor castings have a round indent above the pop out connections.
· In 1928, the distributor plates were forged.
· The battery ground strap is a flat copper design.
· Radiator Ford core with four rows of seamed round tubes.
· Early Ford shroud used three clips at the bottom of the shroud to hold the right headlamp wire.
· Early water pump used has a small, dime sized, round hole at the bottom of the casting.
· The fan belt used is a red disk brown similar to original.
· The hoses and clamps are reproductions of original black with a red longitudinal strip.
· The radiator water return pipe is seamed and has an off center bend closer to the radiator to be uniform because of the powerhouse generator.
· Radiator shell with round holes for lacing and crank hole cover of rare design. Laced shells were used to 25,000. This car is 24,981.
· Oil dip stick has an elongated, bayonet style handle.
· Fuel shut off valve with short forged steel handle.
· Cast Iron sediment bulb.
· Seamed gas lines were used on all Model “A” until May of 1928. The gas line diameter was 3/8”.
· Carburetor is Zenith double venture with dowel pin on the rear side.
· Early 1928 small Ford script front axle left front right rear.
· Rear spring has large Ford script on the leaf spring.
· The 1928 front cross member is also the front solid motor mount.
· Multiple disc clutch, housing, flywheel, etc were used to about November 1928.
· Transmission the first case was used until midyear.
· Three gear shift housing were used until June 1928, did not have a mounting for the emergency brake.
· Fender brackets were forged steel. In early 1928 through mid-1928, the fender brackets had square outer ends with ¼” raised rounded bosses at the fender edge.
· All early shocks had the Ford script with “Houdaille Hydraulic Suspension Mfg. for Ford Motor Company. There a large pointer used between February and July 1928. The needle valve pointer is used in conjunction with numbers on the shock arms.
· All bumpers were chrome plated. These chrome bumpers were chrome plated in 1980.
· Early 1928 bumper clamps were forged and chrome plated in 1928-1929. Early rear bumper clamps had a Ford script in the center used to about 100,000.
· The round front center bumper clamp has Ford script and Made in USA was used until April 1928.
· Early hoods were parallel to the bottom edge. In January 1928, leather corners were added.
· Early 1928 sedan fenders were different. The reinforcement at the running board was a flat piece of sheet metal which was not bent to go under the board.
· Early running board shields with single brake systems are straight without a bumped out section for the emergency brake rod.
· Front and rear fenders in early 1928 have a flat piece of metal spot welded on the inside for support at the fender brackets. This was changed in July 1928.
· Early 1928 mushroom-shaped gear shift knobs were made of a hard bakelite material. They were used until the multiple disc clutch was discontinued in November 1928.
· The choke rod, carburetor adjusting rod from the beginning of production until October 1928 were 22” long and had a teardrop style top.
· Special feature of car #24981 is its original early interior.
· There are very few examples of this style interior, it is like a time capsule of what it was like when it came from the factory. I have only seen a black and white partial photo of this interior. It does not do justice to the details.
· The metal lower front seats support hinge is Ford script when observed from the driver’s side.
· Until February 1928, early cars had the door straps lower. After driving it, I know the reason it was raised. It gets in the way.
· Original carpet studs and sockets.

Cars are only original once!
frankfalcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #29
jkcrosson

With the original interior being so nice, is this a low mileage car? Would love more pictures.
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #30
Mike

We will try and have a picture shoot at my shop !!
Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #31
frank55a

I had an opertunity to spend quite a while looking at this early 28 last week at Mike's. It is in very good condition and truely unique. To the best of my knowledge all the early parts are there and in good condition. I believe it also has an original fan belt. I thank Frank for being it out so we can view it, and look forward to seeing it again at Mike's.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote