Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2018, 10:40 PM   #21
ford38v8

Default Re: Understanding the oil filter canister ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kennedy View Post
I understand the flow pattern. Besides the turkey baster, would it make since to put some kind of drain plug offset in the bottom of the canister?
Steve in Denver, CO
Steve, the first time I opened up mine and found the left over oil, I soaked it up with rags. When I got it all soaked up, I found a substantial deposit of lead residue on the bottom, apparently separated from a lead additive the previous owner had used. Not that that info lends any wisdom to the question, but just to show that it is likely that the residual oil was seldom removed in the old days, and that new owners of these old Fords are just OCD about it, as you're never going to get all the old oil out in any oil change anyway.

On the question and opinions on the presence of restrictors, I seem to remember that the inlet restrictors were located at different places in different times by different manufacturers, the only constant being that the restrictors would always be on the inlet side, with little or no restriction on the outlet side. Should some misguided person remove an inlet restrictor at some point in history, that engine would then suffer from very low oil pressure for the relatively short remainder of its existence.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:59 PM   #22
Steve in Denver

Alan,
Thanks, so you are saying it is good to have to suck the oil out and wipe out any residue and particals, which just draining it would not do.

I have not yet completely hooked my oil filter up. I have a '36 with a 8BA motor in it and some previous owner had completely removed the oil filter. I have since found another one and have it in place. But I also want to re-hook up the original dash oil pressure gauge. I have the two-outlet restrictor but I think it needs to be mounted down low on the back of the block, which at this time I cannot get to. I seem to remember seeing someone had hooked the restrictor up to the side of the oil filter and then screwed the electrical '36 style oil pressure sending unit into it, again at the top of the filter housing and it just looked sloppy to me. I hope when I convert the brakes to hydraulic and have the wooden floor panels removed, that I can then get to the proper mounting place down on the back of the motor.
Steve
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:04 AM   #23
ford38v8

Steve, yes, just suck it out with a turkey baster or a small hand pump, any one of a hundred different varieties available from many sources. I wouldn't stress about residual particles on the bottom, they're not going anywhere.

You can remove/replace the sending unit on the block from under the hood with a cheap open end wrench bent into a U shape. Some guys even get fancy with welding up a home made wrench for the job. You say you have "the two outlet restrictor"... I presume you mean you have the T fitting that accepts the oil filter line as well as the oil pressure sender. Just confirm that a restrictor is present somewhere in the inlet side, consisting of a plug of some sort with a single hole about 1/16" diameter.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:05 AM   #24
MGG

Quote:
I understand the flow pattern. Besides the turkey baster, would it make since to put some kind of drain plug offset in the bottom of the canister?
Steve in Denver, CO
My 1940 canister has a drain plug just up from the bottom while my later 8BA canister does not have this drain plug. Even with the plug you have to soak up some off the bottom.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #25
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
I have the two-outlet restrictor but I think it needs to be mounted down low on the back of the block, which at this time I cannot get to. I seem to remember seeing someone had hooked the restrictor up to the side of the oil filter and then screwed the electrical '36 style oil pressure sending unit into it, again at the top of the filter housing and it just looked sloppy to me. Steve
Not promoting it and not sure what years (much later than 36!), but that was an original location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filtr1.jpg (45.8 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 10-15-2018 at 08:13 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #26
Steve in Denver

Thanks, attaching it up there would be easier. I also do see that this drawing shows the oil drain hole.
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #27
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
see that this drawing shows the oil drain hole.
Holes, there should be two.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #28
Bruce_MO

I have a '46 Merc that has a threaded boss welded on for a drain plug in the bottom of the canister. It's pretty handy. But I've used the turkey baster for years... works fine
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote