Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
37Flat

Default '37 Pickup Radiator

The radiator I had was deemed garbage by the shop. It wasn't the right one anyway. I'm looking for a replacement - probably a new aluminum one. All I've found so far are made to mount with side flanges, so I'll have to make adapters.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the correct radiator? Also some pictures of how it looks mounted would be helpful. Thanks.

KNKStudio221.com
37Flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
blucar

Default Re: '37 Pickup Radiator

I have a near perfect '37 Ford pickup radiator. It actually came out of a V8 60 trk. The only difference between a V8 60 and a 85 is setback side fins and a setback extension for the filler neck.
I was in the process of rebuilding a '37 pickup in the early '60's when I bought the radiator. I was told the radiator was a "desert" radiator, ergo the side fin's.. Wrong, with the side fin's it would not fit into the grille shell.
I am having trouble attaching pix to the FB Forum, you will have to PM your email address to me if you are interested..
Just tried to upload a pix,, happy days it worked..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37 Frd 60 rad.1.jpg (33.3 KB, 66 views)
Old 10-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
I have a near perfect '37 Ford pickup radiator. It actually came out of a V8 60 trk. The only difference between a V8 60 and a 85 is setback side fins and a setback extension for the filler neck.
I was in the process of rebuilding a '37 pickup in the early '60's when I bought the radiator. I was told the radiator was a "desert" radiator, ergo the side fin's.. Wrong, with the side fin's it would not fit into the grille shell.
I am having trouble attaching pix to the FB Forum, you will have to PM your email address to me if you are interested..
Just tried to upload a pix,, happy days it worked..
does your radiator have any number on the tank? should be in on right side.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #4
jimTN

I have what appears to be a new one supposed to be out of a 36 PU, has downturned top inlets. It may well be the same as a 37. When you get some ID numbers and measurements, let us know. I would make you a deal on the one I have it its the right thing.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
I have what appears to be a new one supposed to be out of a 36 PU, has downturned top inlets. It may well be the same as a 37. When you get some ID numbers and measurements, let us know. I would make you a deal on the one I have it its the right thing.

A '36 radiator is completely different from a '37, I have a '36 Ford pickup radiator.

The '37 radiator I have measures 21-3/8" wide, 27-3/4" tall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37 Frd 60 rad.2.jpg (42.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 37 Frd 60 rad.5.jpg (46.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 10-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
blucar

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I took a second look at the '37 radiator I have, there is a tag on the right-rear portion of the tank, adjacent to the upper outlet.. The number is; 8 3, 1022 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37 Frd 60 rad.4.jpg (35.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 10-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #7
37Flat

Quote:
A '36 radiator is completely different from a '37, I have a '36 Ford pickup radiator.

The '37 radiator I have measures 21-3/8" wide, 27-3/4" tall.
It's my understanding that it's the '37 and '38 that are interchangeable, but I could be misunderstanding. I've found no correlation to the numbers. Looking at the pic of the radiator it appears that when mounted it would lean with top towards the front of the truck. I thought it was supposed to be just opposite to match the tilt of the shell. Please straighten me out on this, not a lot of detailed info available for a '37.

KNKStudio221.com
Old 10-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
37Flat

Just found some pics of a 1 1/2 ton '37. It has the same tilt and looks like the forward neck would work. Could this be what the radiator is out of?

https://www.autorestorationice.com/2...k-flatbed.html

KNKStudio221.com
Old 10-16-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
marko39

Quote:
I took a second look at the '37 radiator I have, there is a tag on the right-rear portion of the tank, adjacent to the upper outlet.. The number is; 8 3, 1022 5
the one i have is stamped 77 B which is model # of 37 truck with 85hp engine.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
blucar

I reviewed the pix 37flat attached, noted that the core was leaning forward, also noted the position of the upper hoses... Reviewing the upper outlets on my tank you will note that they slightly turn down. I also noted the pix that the fill neck does not protrude through the shell allowing clearance for a '37 cap to attach. I also noted that the '37 grille shell has hood latch brackets attached to it, which is correct.

The radiator in the truck has hood latch brackets attached to the core support and the shell. I think the radiator in the truck is a '35-36..
I know that the radiator I have fits a '37 pickup, I had it mounted and running on my '37, the problem was when I tried to put the shell on, the forward location of the fill neck and the shroud fins conflicted with the shell.
Many years ago I had considerable experience with '35-36 & '37 pickups, did an off the chassis on a '37 pickup. The '37's are kind of a stand alone deal, similar to a '36, but not interchangeable. The '38-39 are basically the same truck, that is have the same grille, front end/cab.
I have always thought that the radiator I have is for a '37 V8 60, a '37 grille shell will fit the radiator if the radiator is set back in the shell. I would have to assume that Ford had a mounting plate of some type in the chassis to attache the core support to and the front motor mounts of the V8 60.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #11
37Flat

A lot of good information. I think I'm going to go with a new aluminum one and make a bracket for it until I can find the right original. Thanks for all of the help.

KNKStudio221.com
Old 10-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #12
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Flat View Post
A lot of good information. I think I'm going to go with a new aluminum one and make a bracket for it until I can find the right original. Thanks for all of the help.

As you should be aware, the '37 Fords and earlier models do not have a traditional core support to hold the front sheet metal together, and provide a mounting point for the radiator. The radiator surround portion that mounts the radiator to the chassis, extending up over the top of the radiator with an extension plate, to which rods are attached which attach to the cowl, is what holds the radiator assembly in place. The grille shell is then attached to the radiator and the fenders attached to the grille shell.
I think the use of an aftermarket aluminum radiator would require the fabrication of a traditional core support that extended over the top of the radiator, providing an attachment point for the front steady rods and hood mounting.
Sounds like a lot of work, not impossible, just would take awhile.