Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2022, 05:08 PM   #1
Jerold Ebke

Default ‘55 Crown Victoria rear seat mounts my questions

Friends,
I am trying to fit the bare seat springs in my ‘55 Crown Victoria in preparation for upholstery to be put on them. Hoping to get all good prior to upholstery shop starting work.
I’m not sure what holds the rear bench and backrests in place.
Uppers hang on 4 metal rests or hooks on the package tray front edge. Do the backrests attach at the bottom to some structure I may be missing?
Does the lower cushion bolt in some way or just lay there?
I see 4 bolt clips across the floor on two short uprights out by the armrest and 2 on the center section. Would someone be willing to take some cell phone pictures or be willing to visit on the phone of how lower bench and backrest go in place and are retained in place?
My cell # is 402-729-7660.
Are the 2 door Victoria and the Crown Victoria the same in the seat springs?
Maybe a Victoria owner could help as well.
Thank you for helping me out. Not any car that look at in my rural Nebraska area.

Last edited by Jerold Ebke; 01-21-2022 at 05:37 PM.
Jerold Ebke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:54 PM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: ‘55 Crown Victoria rear seat mounts my questions

This may or may not be helpful as it applies to a '55 Merc 2 door hardtop. The seat back hangs on hooks on the package tray as you describe, and should also have 2 screws at the bottom of the seat back. The cushion sits on the flange that sticks up above the floor. It should be a very tight fit and may require some pounding with a large rubber mallet to get it fully seated. There are no fasteners involved with the cushion.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:10 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

On the seat back, the top fits to hooks just below the package tray like Dobie said. At the bottom of the seat back you should see the bottom wire-frame of the seat back bent down and makes a u-turn back up to the frame near each end of the seat. There are holes in the floor riser of the car for lag-screws with fender washers to hold the seat-back down to the floor riser there. The lag-screws have a 3/8" hex head. If you don't install these screws to hold the bottom of the seat back down t6o the floor riser, it may be very difficult to push the seat cushion back far enough to get it to latch against the ledge on the floor. Don't remember how the bottom front of the seat cushion latches to that ledge.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:15 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The seat cushion rear edge usually fits under the back rest enough to keep it from moving up. The front edge of the cushion spring assembly usually has two wire spring loop catches that snap into two hooks made for that purpose on the seat support shelf. It takes a good bit of pressure to push down on the cushion with a rearward motion get the catches to disengage the hooks.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:30 PM   #5
5851a

Plain Victoria rear backrest lacks the fold down armrest and the big chrome V.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:38 PM   #6
Jerold Ebke

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks Ford Barn people.
Ok. I see the 2 wire “U”s on each bottom edge of of the seat backrests that are in the general vicinity of the 2 screw clips on the center riser and 2 on sides out near the armrests.
They do not line up. I will have to try some force to see if I can reshape the springs to get them there.
Neither my seat bottom or the ledge it rests on have any evidence of any holes that might indicate where or how any springs or catches were present. Any place anyone can suggest to look for pictures of that front ledge, springs me and hooks?
Again. The back edge of the lower springs just squeezes under the seat backs and it is not attached to anything?
Old 01-22-2022, 10:08 AM   #7
5851a

The back edge of the lower springs just squeezes under the seat backs and it is not attached to anything? Yes that is correct.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:49 PM   #8
Jerold Ebke

I am fitting the not upholstered rear back rest springs now into the car using fender washers and bolts as you have suggested. Seems good on bottom.
Another question.
Do the springs rest on top of the 4 clips on the front of the backrest or do they fit under the clips front vertical edge as mine are doing?
My 4 clips seem to be bent up forward as they sit at 45 degrees and not vertical.
I had in my head the 2 cross wires of the springs that correspond to the clips needed to sit on top of the clips, but instead are they just retained under the clip?
If so , I will bend the package tray clips so the front edge is more vertical.