Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2022, 03:06 PM   #1
Gino

Default 68 Mustang Clutch Release Lever

Ok, IÂ’m back. I wish I could say everything worked out, but thatÂ’s not the case. This will be a long story, I hope you folks will stick with me. 200 CI. 6 CYL. Manual three speed synchronized transmission. Bell housing is C7ZA-6394-A.
One of the two rivets that attach the clutch release lever to the bell housing failed. I pulled it all down, got the bell housing on the work bench and performed the repair to the lever bracket. I then installed the lever with a new anti rattle spring and realized the throw out bearing was or is not in the center of the hole. Obviously the trans side. The existing lever is 9” long, if that helps. This is over my head but I have to do the job. Any help would be much appreciated.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:41 PM   #2
craig

Default Re: 68 Mustang Clutch Release Lever

If the fork is now in deeper or shallower than it was, not centering the T.O. bearing, then is it possible you re-attached the pivot bracket backwards. It's a 90 degree piece, if turned around then it would pivot the fork in a different location
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:02 AM   #3
Gino

Default Re: 68 Mustang Clutch Release Lever

Hi Craig, thanks for the reply. The bracket I installed is positioned correctly. I understand how that would make a difference. I really think the previous mechanic used the wrong lever, however it was installed with two pressed rivets. I say this because I think you would need a specific press or it was done at factory. CJ Pony has a lever that is one inch longer (10”) I’m not sure if that would work. I’m still confused so if you come up with an idea I’ll be happy to listen. Thanks and God bless.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote