Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2018, 01:08 PM   #41
CarlG

Default Re: MAFCA renewal

My local club is a MAFCA affiliate, but I belong to both national clubs, just to get their magazines. All of the events for both national clubs are out of reach for most of us here in Alaska, so that is not even a consideration.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #42
160B

FWIW AN ARTICLE FROM 58 YEARS AGO!!!

Here is an article from Feb 1960 published in "A" Quail Call V III, Issue 6 February, 1960 Penn-Ohio Region.

The article is attached and below is the text.

LET'S TALK ABOUT DOLLARS AND CENTS FOR A MOMENT

How many of you have more than junk price in your Model "A"? Have you ever said to your-self, "What maintains the value of my pride and joy?" Is it Honest Joe at the corner used car lot, or does Charlie's Wrecking Yard make my car valuable from the dollars and cents standpoint?

Nope, it isn't either one of these characters that maintains the value of your "A", because neither of them would give you the price that you have in your restoration if you should decide to sell.

Who or what maintains values? Have you ever stopped to ponder this point for just a moment? There is only one answer. Car clubs with which you are affiliated maintain your values because they provide activities for you and your car, they stimulate interest in the hobby locally and nationally, and keep YOU and YOUR CAR in the public eye. This stimulates interest, and because they don't make them any more ("A"'s), investment in time and money is protected.

There are many clubs devoted to various hobbies. For example, there are the old coin collectors; they are well organized. Suppose that next week all of the old coin collectors decided that their club wasn't worth the effort and disbanded. Rare coin values would drop to their face value. A nickel that was bringing $5.00 in club circles wouldn't buy a coke because cokes are a dime.

So it is with your "A". If you have any doubts, just fire her up and drive down to the corner used car lot or wrecking yard. If you have taken a dim view of club affiliations and their values, I think that Joe or Charlie will give you a rude wakening. You will probably be in such a hurry to get back home and re-up for 1960 that you'll collect a ticket on the way.

Think it over seriously, fellows. Our membership and support of clubs dedicated to our hobby is important from the dollars and cents standpoint. IF WE SCRAP OUR MEMBERSHIPS, WE CAN SCRAP OUR CARS. WHO CAN AFFORD THIS?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A Quail Call V III Issue 6 Feb 1960 Cover.pdf (1.11 MB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf A Quail Call V III Issue 6 Feb 1960 P12.pdf (642.3 KB, 10 views)

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?

Last edited by 160B; 08-28-2018 at 11:59 PM. Reason: added info on article
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:23 PM   #43
RandyinUtah

Thanks for digging this article up from 1960. True then and now.
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:35 AM   #44
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Dave was kind enough to send me a free copy of this book. It's really a great story! Break loose & order it, you won't be SORRY!!!
Bill Williamson
Dave sent me his book and suggested that I read it and pay him if I liked it. I did both... like it and sent him a check.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:33 AM   #45
BILL WILLIAMSON

Some of us "think" about writing a book, but NEVER do. Dave was brave enough to do it! Let's SUPPORT HIM IN HIS GREAT ENDEAVOR!
Bill Williamson
Old 08-29-2018, 09:17 AM   #46
Jeff/Illinois

[QUOTE=Dick Steinkamp;1668201]In 1930, gas was 20 cents/gallon. That's equivalent to $2.87 today. Today, AAA's average price per gallon of regular was $2.838.

You know when you think about it, in the Big Picture, 1930 really wasn't all that long ago. And look what inflation has done. Making money worth less and less.

It's criminal.

So, in 20 or 30 years, that $100K Model A Tudor is going to be a real steal
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:58 AM   #47
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post

You know when you think about it, in the Big Picture, 1930 really wasn't all that long ago. And look what inflation has done. Making money worth less and less.

It's criminal.
That would be true....IF wages had not also gone up during the same time period.

1930 average annual income = $1,368
https://www.paper-dragon.com/1939/priceguide.html

2015 average annual income = $56,516
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/24/how-...every-age.html

We all long for 10-20 cents/gallon gas, but not so much for the wages that went with it.