Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2018, 07:02 AM   #21
Jeff P. / MN

Default Re: MAFCA renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
I just received my renewal for MAFCA. $50 seems a lot for 4 magazines. While the magazines are nice, I do not believe that they are worth $12.50 per issue. There is no club in our state and so no other service is available to me. Does anyone have a convincing argument that would make me change my mind. I am on a fixed income and always short of operating cash. This forum answers all my questions missing only the pretty color pictures.
Undecided on renewal.
I think if you can afford to own/operate/insure a Model A Ford you should be able to afford to support the club. ‘Nuff said.
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:57 AM   #22
1928Mik

I too think 50 bucks is a bit too high but I really like the magazine. I have noticed also some Model A'ers I have run into in person seem kinda stuck up, like they know more than me, or their car is a bit better than mine. I ran into the same attitude when I used to go to car shows with a muscle or collector car. Kinda harps back to what Jeff was saying about that hothead MAFCA guy. Takes the desire away to do any group things!

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #23
Jeff/Illinois

1928Mk I know what you are saying about the attitudes in the Muscle Car clubs, I've seen that too. My buddy that shows his Vette laughs when I tell him this, he says 'You think THEY'Re bad you ought to be around Corvette people!!' He has a point!

But in all fairness the antique Ford Model T-A-V/8 folks are by far the nicest I've ever been around. No comparison. Good people here.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #24
Jeff/Illinois

P.S., when you are out and about around the country and you here somebody saying their 'a's' like that you know right away they are Chi-towners, and the people around the Berwyn-Cicero area have a REALLY strong accent!!

I like it, makes me feel at 'home' there's another Illinois boy around!

On another note, there are some pretty fine folks running for the MAFCA Board this year it was hard to vote. I think they are all excellent. Plus there is a vote on a By-Laws change. I sent my ballot in a postcard stamp is only 35 cents I wonder how in the heck they make it through the system!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #25
redmodelt

Re; I think if you can afford to own/operate/insure a Model A Ford you should be able to afford to support the club. ‘Nuff said.

While that statement is somewhat valid, not everyone has deep pockets. To me that is saying if you can't afford to do X your should not own and old car. It is your choice how you want to support the hobby, many times just having our cars out in public is a great way.

I have made the suggestion to someone in the Ford Model T Club of America to have a "supporting membership" at a lower price without the mag's because take on the mags is that between the 2 Model A, 2 Model T and Horseless carriage mags, none of them them are worth the cover price. I have access to some of all 5 clubs mags back in the 70's and 80's some even before that, they all had much better content before that got slick color photos and less real content.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:51 AM   #26
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P. / MN View Post
I think if you can afford to own/operate/insure a Model A Ford you should be able to afford to support the club. ‘Nuff said.
I'm pretty sure that shaming people into joining the club isn't going to work.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #27
russcochiolo

My chapter requires MAFCA membership. I have served my Sierra Chapter as Editor and am now serving as Membership Chair. I am not always happy with the chapter but I will not bail out! I've had complaints and some criticism but the help and relationships that I've built are priceless. It's the best game in town and I look forward to THE RESTORER each issue. Russ
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #28
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

I have belonged club for about 40 years now, and just renewed it again. Lots of Infor in the magazine about Model A's. I to am on a fixed income. I have all the back issurs. I get no other car related magazines now but do get 3 Wood Working related magazines as well.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #29
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
I believe you are correct, Bob.

At the MAFCA convention, I walked up to the MAFCA table in the hospitality/pick-a-prize room and said, "What role do you perform for MAFCA?" (only, I pronounce the hard A like 'may-f-ka'. The guy from MAFCA looked at me weird and said, "No, it's maw-f-ka". I said, "I don't drive a Model aww, I drive a Model Aye". The guy actually started to get angry and was about to get physical (I couldn't believe it myself). A lady behind the table took his arm and told him to calm down. No, I am not kidding!

Apparently, there are some pretty thin skinned people on the MAFCA board (or at least at the MAFCA booth). I have been doing the mah-f-ka/may-f-ka schtick for years and usually draw a chuckle, never before been in fear of an actual fist thrown my way except from the guy with the MAFCA polo shirt on at the MAFCA table in Reno.

And they wonder why they cannot get more young people like me involved...
If you just look around the world, there's TURDS, EVERYWHERE!
Bill Poopscooper
Old 08-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #30
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
I wrote a little book and published it. Selling for $18.00+ on Amazon and I will be over 100 years old before I break even.
So tell us about your book. Sales may rise. :-)
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #31
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Mik View Post
I too think 50 bucks is a bit too high but I really like the magazine. I have noticed also some Model A'ers I have run into in person seem kinda stuck up, like they know more than me, or their car is a bit better than mine. I ran into the same attitude when I used to go to car shows with a muscle or collector car. Kinda harps back to what Jeff was saying about that hothead MAFCA guy. Takes the desire away to do any group things!
I don't worry about that because most everybody's A is better than mine. But mine is what I want.:-)
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #32
daveymc29

Chris, Just the ramblings of an old mans mind recalling childhood on a 55K acre ranch, of which we owned nary a foot. Aunt and uncle raising me during the depression just like it was 1889 as that was when our place was built. Met my parents when I was three, ran away to CA at 13, joined the Marines and later spent 34 years as a firefighter in Oakland, CA. Probably just like many of you were coming up. We owned no car and went to town in a wagon but I loved the Model A's that came by, as well as most every car or plane we saw. So there, now no one needs to buy the book, you know all about me. For more detail go to; http://bit.ly/FromtheShadows I'm sure many will relate to it.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:57 PM   #33
31a

It seems worth it to me! You can get any technical question answered, agree about the insurance and helps keep the model a alive.
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #34
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...There is not a year that goes by that I don't utilize a service of some kind from both national clubs and I love the two magazines. I have spoken to both the national technical guys in the last week. Left calls and Ron and Jim both called me back and answered my question...We really do need to support the national clubs and the national parts suppliers...some of us like Bill are old enough to remember when the only parts we could find were from Japan and Brazil and they were very iffy! Our cars run as well as they do, these days, due to the help we receive from the national clubs and parts houses...they are particularly important as new Model 'A' owners join our ranks. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:58 PM   #35
modelAsteve

If you guys think the price of membership is to high you ought to buy a gallon of gas out here in CA! The old cars will barley run on it- lots of vapor lock. Not even good to wash parts in anymore!
modelAsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:32 PM   #36
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Chris, Just the ramblings of an old mans mind recalling childhood on a 55K acre ranch, of which we owned nary a foot. Aunt and uncle raising me during the depression just like it was 1889 as that was when our place was built. Met my parents when I was three, ran away to CA at 13, joined the Marines and later spent 34 years as a firefighter in Oakland, CA. Probably just like many of you were coming up. We owned no car and went to town in a wagon but I loved the Model A's that came by, as well as most every car or plane we saw. So there, now no one needs to buy the book, you know all about me. For more detail go to; http://bit.ly/FromtheShadows I'm sure many will relate to it.
Dave was kind enough to send me a free copy of this book. It's really a great story! Break loose & order it, you won't be SORRY!!!
Bill Williamson
Old 08-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #37
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAsteve View Post
If you guys think the price of membership is to high you ought to buy a gallon of gas out here in CA! The old cars will barley run on it- lots of vapor lock. Not even good to wash parts in anymore!
In 1930, gas was 20 cents/gallon. That's equivalent to $2.87 today. Today, AAA's average price per gallon of regular was $2.838. Some brands and locations are going to be more....some less.

In 1930, the average octane (RON) was 60-68. Today, I don't think you can find less than 87.

Do ALL old cars in California barely run and vapor lock? Did some cars in 1930 barely run and vapor lock? Was the fuel blamed then too?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:05 PM   #38
Ted Duke

Smile Re: MAFCA renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
I don't worry about that because most everybody's A is better than mine. But mine is what I want.:-)

Chris, right on! Mine is still a work in progress, shooting for springtime on the road, and it will NOT be a Restoration, it will be a Resurrection and I will like it and no one else matters.

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:07 PM   #39
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
I can understand a fist fight over the which engine oil question, but what you describe is crazy.

That is funny, or not!
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #40
daveymc29

Thanks fpr the plug Bill. Vermin agrees. I may have a peek into the tranny, seems to growl a bit in the bottom two speed tho direct is pretty quiet until I let up on the throttle. Lay shaft bearings?
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote