Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #1
1937hemi

Default need my transmission rebuilt

anybody out there that rebuilds flathead transmissions, preferably in north Texas
1937hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #2
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: need my transmission rebuilt

It's an easy procedure. You could do it yourself if you can't find someone near you.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #3
51504bat

If you can't find someone closer or don't do it your self, Mac Van Pelt in Ohio is the man when it comes to early Ford transmissions. He has all the parts if you decide to do it your self. His book on these transmission is pretty much the bible on how to rebuild them.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #4
Mac VP

This is a good time to talk about the transmission rebuild business. I’ve had this discussion in bits and pieces with other car owners over the years, but it bears a complete talk. I wrote my repair manual back in 2006. It was and still is the best and most comprehensive book for rebuilding the early Ford 3 speed transmissions. I had personally rebuilt over 75 of them when I sat down and put the words and pictures on paper. I’ve trained another builder, Will Kimble, who has worked alongside me at our shop for close to ten years. Together, we have rebuilt something close to 500 of these same transmissions. I’m astounded when I think of this.

What does all this mean? Will and I chuckle when we remember all the odd problems we’ve run across when attempting to rebuild the early Ford trannies.....mismatched parts, missing parts, homemade repairs, and so much more. And the biggest thing in what I say to you is that we’ve seen these things over and over again. It’s easy to spot a broken gear tooth. Worn synchro rings are pretty obvious to us. The mystery problems are what we’ve become good at identifying and repairing.

We’ve learned the feel of the transmission, the feel of its assembly, and the look of the parts. We’ve developed ways to set the clearances and end play to the minimum specifications. We’ve had special tools made to make the job go more efficiently and reduce risk of damage to us and the parts. We stock large quantities of the rebuild components to do the job. If we are assembling a transmission and the parts don’t have the “feel” we like, we can pull another gear or shaft or washer or whatever it may be, and fit that instead.

We do what it takes to rebuild the complete unit. Sometimes that can mean cutting, drilling, or grinding a part to get to another component in the transmission. All seals and gaskets are replaced, not just the ones that are easy to get to. Every shifter housing comes completely apart for servicing. Special reamers and hones are used. Bearings are installed with a hydraulic press.

Last but not least, although both of us are well experienced and capable rebuilders, we have the wonderful benefit of that second set of hands and eyes just five feet away for help and a confirmation of the work. It’s not uncommon for the other man to see or feel something that doesn’t live up to our standards, and we’ll go back through the work to identify the issue.

To wrap this up, I’d like to say this. We are very happy to sell you my repair manual and to supply parts for your transmission. Many customers know that they can get a few helpful tips and suggestions when they need help. These transmissions do not require a degree in rocket science to complete a rebuild. I know that many car owners WANT to attempt this work because they love the challenge and have the basic skills to pull it off.

When it makes sense to have us do the work, we’ve built up a solid history of building these unique transmissions and it’s all our shop does. You get our specialized skills that are harder to find than back in the good old days. We also warrant our work for a year. We offer a custom built wood shipping crate for sending your core to us and the return to you.

I believe our reputation stands out in front because we get many transmission referrals from you folks. I wanted you to understand a little more about why that is.

Mac VanPelt
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #5
Tim Ayers

Thanks, Mac. You've summed it up nicely. I now feel guilty for I've been known to try and pry every last tip or trick from Mac while ordering parts. I know his time valuable, but he makes you feel like you are the most important customer.

Can't go wrong with all the options Mac laid out for you.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:20 PM   #6
FrankWest

Thanks Max, really enjoyed your transmission book.
Thanks for the work you do to help us.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:34 AM   #7
Mac VP

There was a transmission repair booklet by Max Navarro .......I am not him. Not sure if you had me confused with him or simply misspelled my name. So, thanks I think.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:52 AM   #8
my2nd40

I'm one of Mac's customers that enjoys working on these transmissions. I have his book, buy his parts, and benefit from his knowledge which is extensive. I highly recommend him for your transmission work.
my2nd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #9
Seth Swoboda

Mac's book is a like another tool in your tool box. Get it, read it, absorb it. You can do it!

I'm the type of guy Mac mentioned that likes a challenge and enjoys completing the work himself.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #10
brsturges

Mac is the best! A wealth of knowledge and always willing to help.
brsturges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #11
philipswanson

DIY if you have the time. That's a fun part of the hobby!
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #12
35fordtn

While I know this post was not created as a "Van Pelt" post, it has rightfully turned into such. If you need a good rebuilder he is your man. Although others may do it for less, and you could attempt to do it yourself for less, this is his specialty. In a world of calling large businesses and getting a person on the phone whom has no clue about our cars to try and accommodate your needs, there are a very few small businesses out there who will have a knowledgeable person (likely the owner) answer the phone and actually know what you need and offer quality parts and services that they have personally used and approve of. Mac VanPelt is a prime example of the latter.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #13
Tinker

Pretty easy to understand whom to go to for parts. If you want to rebuild it yourself or send it off.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:12 PM   #14
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937hemi View Post
anybody out there that rebuilds flathead transmissions, preferably in north Texas
1937hemi, as you've probably gathered by now, Mac VanPelt is your go to guy for flathead transmissions. And, if you use his crate...made for transmissions....the FedEx or UPS shipping up to Cincinnati is a piece of cake. Once the work is done, back it comes in the same crate, ready to be put back in your vehicle and enjoy...no more jumping out of 2nd. and really nice shifts.

I'm assuming you don't want to try this yourself thus the question about a rebuilder. If, on the other hand, you'd like to learn more about that part of your car or truck, Mac's book and parts are your ticket!! I'd never done one before and I'm really happy I did!!

Good luck, Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #15
gwmartin55

Mac Van Pelt for sure. I have two of his, and many on the Great Race use him. Fair and honest in my experience.
gwmartin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:10 AM   #16
chap52

There you go Brother, now you decide which way you want to go. That's what is great about this forum and folks that will give you an honest answer and tested options. I couldn't tell you how many times these folks have helped me walk through a car issue. Thanks to all, keep us posted, and remember, "Enjoy the adventure"... Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #17
Gene1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap52 View Post
"Enjoy the adventure"... Chap
X2, Chap. The most difficult part about rebuilding an early Ford tranny is locating parts. I just did the T-10 in the '49 this spring and even those parts are starting to get hard to come by.
There is nothing difficult about rebuilding an early Ford Transmission. It's what we did back in the day. There are lots of manuals out there AND your cell phone camera or any camera is one of the best tools in your toolbox.
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #18
swanwaco32

Mac VP is the guy..!!! His stuff is Awesome..!!
swanwaco32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #19
Planojc

Gary Bernard of AAAA Transmissions in Fort Worth, Texas 817-624-4342. He rebuilt two 39's for me. He's also the guy who came up with the F150 four speed conversion to a model A.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote