Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default The ORIGINAL "slant" Floorboards

While reading Enrique Klein's article on "Floorboards" in a past issue of The Restorer (The only article for which I have seen in either The Restorer or Model A News about the Model A/AA Floorboards), I am reading one thing, but seeing another and unfortuantly I only have two original examples on my end which are different than his findings and the drawings.

The "slant" floorboard I am in question about is the second generation or the FB1-B as Mr. Klein shows in his article.

This concerns the BRAKE PEDAL cut-out only.

On my two original floorboards the cutout where the brake pedal goes is 1-1/2" wide and 1-3/4 inches deep. One of these boards is out of my February 1929 Tudor.

HOWEVER...Mr. Klein states that starting in June of 1928, with the introduction of the center emergency brake, that the slots for the clutch and brake pedals were increased to 2" deep yet jumping to February 1929, they are still at 1-3/4"...NOW granted the floorboards could have been changed somewhere in it 92 year history.

There were a lot of changes made to the "slant" floor board over the years (14 in all during 28-29) and he may have taken his figures for the article off of just one later drawing...I do not know.

So my question to you is this...For anyone who has ORIGINAL "slant" floorboards, 2nd generation 1928/29...were there brake holes/slots that measured 1-1/2" x 1-3/4"?

Thank you.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:50 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: The ORIGINAL "slant" Floorboards

bttt
Old 05-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #3
Bob Bidonde

Hi Steve! I know that you know that the Branches likely had stocks of the original design floorboards that were sufficient to exceed the formal date change. In my opinion, all of the factories date changes for parts have to be given a lot of leeway. What are you currently building?
Switching gears here, I find your book, "The 1928-1931 Ford Assembly Plants & Their Production of Model A Ford Passenger Cars" to be a great reference and I urge "Barner's" interested in the detailed history and statistics of the Model A to buy one.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:56 AM   #4
700rpm

I have always wondered how the floorboards were cut and drilled. I would like to have seen the machine(s) in production.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 06-03-2021 at 10:28 AM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:21 AM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Hi Steve! I know that you know that the Branches likely had stocks of the original design floorboards that were sufficient to exceed the formal date change. In my opinion, all of the factories date changes for parts have to be given a lot of leeway. What are you currently building?
Switching gears here, I find your book, "The 1928-1931 Ford Assembly Plants & Their Production of Model A Ford Passenger Cars" to be a great reference and I urge "Barner's" interested in the detailed history and statistics of the Model A to buy one.
Hi Bob...Yes, I know exactly what you are saying...July 1928 Open Cab Pickup.

Pluck