Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
JJOHN

Default Filler neck on 35 ford not tight enough

I just removed my filler pipe on my 1935 ford and replaced the lead washer at the base of the pipe. When I tighen it up, I can't seem to get it tight enough so that the filler pipe does not rotate-reason for the leak I believe. I have a spanner wrench to tighten the collar but am afraid to really crank it down. Should I add another washer or some other thing to take up the space.
JJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Coupe35

Default Re: Filler neck on 35 ford not tight enough

My neck has a small leak too so I would be interested in answers to this thread. A similar question was asked about this not to long ago and someone said they used an o-ring instead of the lead washer. Don't know. Having tried either as of yet. Where did you get your spanner wrench.
Coupe35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
rickb9ol

i take a punch and tighten mine tight. no leaks yet
rickb9ol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
JJOHN

The spanner wrench is an 34-219 Armstrong ordered from Sears on line-abou $6.00 or so.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
oldandtired

You might try using a strap wrench or a chain wrench. If you use a chain wrench, put carboard around the filler to keep from scarring the metal.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Terry,OH

in order for the two parts to fit together properly the screw threads have to be clean of dirt. I suggest removing the neck and at least getting these threads clean and spray the tank threads and clean several times with a light oil such as WD40 and a small wire brush. Make sure there is no remains of the old lead seal or a second seal and try the assembly without a seal, if you can tighten the neck up so the free play is removed without a seal then disassemble and insert the new seal and tighten. It does take force. Make sure the face on the neck is clean and flat , this can be done with a piece of glass and sandpaper.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
PeterC

I had a leak with my 35 neck - used the proper wrench and did crank it down hard to seat the lead seal. It worked and no leak. It was difficult to get leverage but with effort and patience you can put enough torque into it to seat the lead, I was not concerned about the threads as they are fine thread and appeared to be set up for high load.
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Kurt in NJ

The threads need to move easy and should be lubricated some, the surfaces that the seal seats on needs to have all remains of old material removed --if there is a lump of old seal, rust etc. it will tighten there and leave other areas loose.

A trial fit without the seal should be used to prove that the threads don't bottom out before they can clamp the seal tight.
If the threads are stiff lube them, work in-out, clean off lube(to remove debris), relube.

The idea is that by having the threads, and the flange area that the nut contacts lubed, and moving easy in the threads the clamping force on the seal will be increased , it is also helps to not have any movement of the filler neck as you tighten the nut ( have a helper hold it steady and in alignment as you tighten) --rotational movement between the seal and tank or neck can damage it's ability to seal.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
FL&WVMIKE

Coupe35 ...................
I'm the one who used a 2" O-Ring on my '35 filler pipe. So far, no problems. But, I do use No-Ethanol gasoline ! I also got mine to tighten up with a pair of Channel-Locks. I did not have a spanner wrench. I did clean my threads, as well as I could.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
34flathead

i am finding out that everyones suggestion to clean and then pre fit is the best way for just about everything with threads.
also i used my old spanner wrench for harley-davidson shocks it is like a sizzor and grabs a hole on both sides of the coller, and as mentioned get a helper and i also used a lead mallet on the wrench.
so far no leaks.
rich
34flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
jfcrash

If I can jump in here.....I am putting my 35 back together and have not gotten as far as the filler neck yet but in reading this thread makes me wounder how many of you have modified the neck for better venting and how??

Thanks

I couldn't repair the brakes, so I adjusted the horn louder....
jfcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
Kerk

I thimk that the 1935 GAS gage requires a NON vented cap for the gage to work IF you are using the original type of tube gage. jmo kc
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
JJOHN

Well with all this information I should be able to get this thing working. As I get older the extension pipe that fits over the ratchet and wrench handles get longer-this is my assistant. Thanks everyone for the info.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #14
flatheadfan

jfcrash-

I also have a '35 and if you have a chance, modify your tank venting, do it! Send me your email addy (PM is o.k.) and I will forward you some pictures of what I have done.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote