Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
Blastfromthepast

Default Obsolete & Classic Auto Parts, Inc Experience

I received a flier with what I thought were good deals. I placed the order on the phone and combined parts to save on the shipping. I received the order today to find out that there was a part that I really needed was back order. I called the company and asked did you know that the order was backed ordered when I called. He said that it seemed like it was in stock at the time but didn't trust his inventory. I told him I should have been notified and that by back ordering the item it is now going to cost me additional shipping. The good it deals became bad deals if its going to cost more. My suggestion with this company is to be sure that the item is in stock and if its back ordered that they should pick up the shipping.
Blastfromthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
Alaska Jim

Default Re: Obsolete & Classic Auto Parts, Inc Experience

Unfortunately, This seems to be getting to be the normal way of doing business with a lot of vendors these days.. I personally think Bob Drake is the worst for it, and Speedway is not much better. just my experience.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
redmodelt

Nothing new, back orders and shipping when in stock has been going on for years.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
4t7heaven

I believe the vendors always give you the option of waiting to ship until all the parts are in stock. They sort of hide that in the fine print. I have found that, while shopping on line is convenient, it is always better to place the order with a real and actual person.
4t7heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #5
Andy

The worst and actually funny was J C Whitney. I ordered a bunch of little stuff and was suprised when I recieved a big box. I dug in and only found catalogs and flyers and advertizements. A lot of trash. No parts. Big box full of trash and absolutely no parts. The parts came later in a small box.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
supereal

We use C&G. They will tell you if the item is in stock, and whether it will ever be restocked if unavailable. That is why we use their phone line to talk with them, rather than email.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #7
ford38v8

an unfortunate fact of life is that many retailers are doing business on a shoestring, with a minimum investment in inventory. Their suppliers aren't in the loan business, and require 30 day payment. All it takes is a hickup to spiral a retailer on a downward path to ruin. No retailer enjoys being out of stock on products it can sell. They are not our adversaries, they are the sources we require to keep our cars on the road, so it behooves us to give them every break we can.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #8
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
We use C&G. They will tell you if the item is in stock, and whether it will ever be restocked if unavailable. That is why we use their phone line to talk with them, rather than email.
Yep , me too !
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #9
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast View Post
I received a flier with what I thought were good deals. I placed the order on the phone and combined parts to save on the shipping. I received the order today to find out that there was a part that I really needed was back order. I called the company and asked did you know that the order was backed ordered when I called. He said that it seemed like it was in stock at the time but didn't trust his inventory. I told him I should have been notified and that by back ordering the item it is now going to cost me additional shipping. The good it deals became bad deals if its going to cost more. My suggestion with this company is to be sure that the item is in stock and if its back ordered that they should pick up the shipping.
Since most of the bigger dealers have the inventory on a computer it's possible that the guy who sold the last one failed to take it out of inventory. Therefore it showed there was one still in stock.
TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:01 AM   #10
nelsb01

Ah, not sure what your dealing with, but I have ordered my fair share of parts from most of the Ford vendors. Everytime that I placed an order, they charged me for shipping on the WHOLE order, and IF a part was NOT available to be shipped, it was shipped when it was available at no additional cost. Once you place an order and recieve a final order form, that should be your final cost. If they charge you more to ship the missing part of the order, call your credit card company and complain.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote