Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
reggiedog

Default Milwaukee,Wisconsin Ford Plant

HI:

I just thought that I would bounce this off you guys and maybe one of you might have a post card or two but I'm doing some research on that Ford Plant in Milwaukee Wisconsin and I'm looking for any pics of it from the inside or outside of that plant when it was building the Model T's and A's.

As that building also had a service center in one part of that building and another part of that building at one time was a hospital for a time that was when the Model T's where still being made in there as I'm still looking for more information on that.

So if some one has anything even a news paper clipping would be great as that plant was built in 1914 on into the 40's so from that era as I'm looking for what ever I can get out of putting ads on here from time to time and other places just to get as much information on that Plant as I can.

Thanks let me know Reggiedog
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:00 PM   #2
felix 40

Default Re: Milwaukee,Wisconsin Ford Plant

R-dog, I didnt know Ford had a plant in Wisconsin, I did a search online "thehenryford.org" had this info on the plant in milwaukee. Pretty interesting!
I wonder what they were building?

Milwaukee, WI
2185 N. Prospect Ave.
Assembly started: April 1916
Assembly ceased: November 1932
Old 02-03-2017, 11:16 PM   #3
redmodelt

You might also post your request on The Model T Ford Club of America's forum. Without looking I bet it was like a lot of main branch's around the country, they stocked parts and assembled cars for delivery to dealers along with as you said, service.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:49 AM   #4
reggiedog

Felix: Yes I know they have allot of information on that Plant as it mostly came from Steve Plucker and me as I found allot of that stuff for Steve and there's another guy that had allot more on it then I did as he lived in S. Carolina.

Redmodelt: HI,

Now how do I reach that forum????.
And to answer your question the main branch was Chicago but the Milwaukee Plant was getting most if not all of it's part's right from Detroit as the Milwaukee Plant covered it's own territory witch was the whole state of Wisconsin and the upper part of Michigan and I know it went a little bit bigger but it's been so long since I've read that part of it I just don't remember the whole thing.

And what I meant by the SERVICE it was doing like a regular service gas station was doing back in the day as that Ford Plant in Milwaukee was actually building and making the cars and Trucks right there in Milwaukee and that Plant would ship them off to the dealers from right there in Milwaukee.

As I have done allot of research on that Milwaukee Plant I would have to go back through my notes to tell you actually what that Plant all did there but I do know it did and had all of the stuff that I said.

As I would have to go back thought all of my notes to tell you as to what it all actually did and what years that was but I do know that it did have a HOSPITAL in that Ford Plant for about 2 or 3 years when that Plant first opened as it was still also a Plant.

Making cars and Trucks there and that Plant had the full service department like Detroit had at there Plant and allot of the Branches did have also so it was running all 3 of them at one time but what those years were is a little foggy that's why I put a call out to this forum for help on this little project of mine as I know allot of it but I still need with it as for the dates and any pictures or any information on it that can be found on it.
Would be what I would love to have no matter if I already have the information or not it's still helpful info to me
Old 02-04-2017, 10:14 AM   #5
redmodelt

I posted your original question on the Model T forum and replied to your PM with the clubs home page address and a link to the question I posted for you.
MarkG
Old 02-05-2017, 04:13 PM   #6
t42

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
There were 32 U.S. cities, and 12 foreign cities producing Model T autos in 1926. Milwaukee is listed in the production figures from 1921 to 1926 in McCalley's book. No mention of earlier cities, just production figures for each year and model. Milwaukee historical society would have info of earlier figures possibly. Good luck.
t42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:30 PM   #7
reggiedog

Question Re: Milwaukee,Wisconsin Ford Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by t42 View Post
There were 32 U.S. cities, and 12 foreign cities producing Model T autos in 1926. Milwaukee is listed in the production figures from 1921 to 1926 in McCalley's book. No mention of earlier cities, just production figures for each year and model. Milwaukee historical society would have info of earlier figures possibly. Good luck.
No that's what they have also as far as Joel said but that's been over 2 years now but I'm still looking for any pictures inside or outside of the Old Plant in Milwaukee, WI or even a newspaper clipping as someone sent me one clip and I thanks him for doing that.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #8
reggiedog

Question Milwaukee Ford Plant ( Hospital )

HI:

Does anyone happen to know the Base number (s).
For the Old Ford Plant in Milwaukee, WI. as the Government
took the Ford Plant over for a Army Hospital in Oct. 1918.

And they also took over about 3 other buildings in that
area for the Barracks and Mess Hall and so on I know where
all of them were and the address but I'm kind of stuck until I
find the base number for that base in Milwaukee.

Then I can find out allot more about that Hospital as every
thing is open now so I can get copies of them that I need to get.

Thanks let me know

Reggiedog
Old 02-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #9
reggiedog

Question Milwaukee,Wisconsin Ford Plant

HI:

Is there anyone that is a member of the "oldmilwaukee.net web site".

Reason why I'm asking is I want to post something on there. That I found that is wrong on there. But I'm a member now of it but the little wheel just keeps going around.

But here is what I found wrong is this on pg. 2 of the good old days part. And on the "Lakeside Hospital on Prospect Ave" part. It says that in 1916 Ford bought the land across the street from the Lake Side Hospital.

But here's the thing I've been doing research on that Ford Plant that there talking about on there for about 2 yrs now. And Ford couldn't of bought that land in 1916. As they got the permission to build from the city of Milwaukee on that land in 1915. As ordinance to build was granted on May 3, 1915.

And they started to build on that same day as the building opened on February 1, 1916. As Ford was in a hurry to get that building built. I don't remember why but there wrong on that web site. As I have most of mine documented already.

And I'm still working on the rest of it but I will have that done next week also then all of it will be documented.

Thanks Reggiedog
Old 02-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #10
Dick Steinkamp

Reggidog,
My 1930 A has a body number of R5534.

I bought it in Wisconsin and I believe it had spent its whole life in Wisconsin.

The leading R in the body number seems to indicate Richmond, CA assembly, but the Richmond plant was not in operation when my A was built.

I believe mine was built in Milwaukee, but I have not found and info that would indicate that the R prefix in the body number would cross to the Milwaukee plant.

Do you have any information on this?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:36 PM   #11
reggiedog

Question NEED YOUR HELP ON THE Milwaukee,Wisconsin Ford Plant

HI:

I need your help as I'm looking for as many people. That I can find that have a Model "A" or Model "T" that was made in the Milwaukee Ford Plant. AS I'm doing allot of research on that plant. And I have allot of information on that plant as of now and getting more every day as it just keeps growing.

And now I need to find people that have Cars or Trucks that were for sure made in that Milwaukee Plant as I would need to have some forum of documentation on that also. Or some kind of proof that your car was made there.

The thing is I have a few people that have told me that there Dad had bought there Model A right at the Ford Plant in Milwaukee and the Letter stamped on the Front cross brace is stamped with a "R" that stands for the Richmond, California Plant.

One of the things I'm trying to find out is if the Milwaukee Plant stamped the cars and Trucks the same as Richmond did as no one knows what the stamping is for the Milwaukee Plant.

And if I get enough people that can say that there Car or Truck was from the Milwaukee Plant with the letter "R" stamped on the front cross brace I just figured out what that Letter code for that Milwaukee Plant was.

But I have to have allot more people come up and can say that there car or Truck was made at the Milwaukee Plant there and it also has the Letter "R" stamped on the front cross brace but I have to have some forum of documentation on that also.

As just having the Letter "R" stamped on the front cross brace doesn't mean that your car or Truck was made there as your Car or truck might of actually been made out in the Richmond Plant as that Plant opened August 1, 1931 but if you have a 1930 Model A or T more then likely your Car or Truck was made in the Milwaukee Plant and that's what I want to know from you.

Thanks Reggiedog
Old 02-23-2017, 03:54 AM   #12
reggiedog

Question NEED YOUR HELP ON THE Milwaukee,Wisconsin Ford Plant

HI:

I need your help as I'm looking for as many people. That I can find that have a Model "A" or Model "T" that was made in the Milwaukee Ford Plant. As I'm doing research on that Plant. And I have allot of information on that plant as of now and getting more every day as it just keeps growing.

And now I need to find people that have Cars and Trucks that were for sure made in that Plant. As I would have to have some forum of Documentation on that also. Or some kind of proof that your Car or Truck was made there.

The thing is I have a few people that have told me that there dad had bought there Model "A" right at the Ford Plant in Milwaukee and the Letter "R" that stands for the Richmond, California Plant.

One of the things I'm trying to find out is if the Milwaukee Plant stamped there Cars and Trucks the same as the Richmond, California Plant did.

And if I get enough people that say that there Car or Truck was from the Milwaukee Plant with the letter "R" Stamped on the front cross brace I just figured out what the Letter code for the Milwaukee Plant was.

But I have to have allot of people come up and can say that there Car or Truck was from the Milwaukee Plant with the Letter "R" Stamped on the front cross brace but I have to have some forum of documentation on that also.

As just having the Letter "R" Stamped on the front cross brace doesn't mean that your Car or Truck was made in the Milwaukee Plant. as it might of been made out in the Richmond, California Plant as the Plant opened on August 1, 1931. So if you have a 1930 Tudor Model "A".

That is stamped with the Letter "R" it was more then likely that it was made in the Milwaukee Plant. And that's just the kind of stuff I want to know about as I'm trying to find as many people with them as I can.

On here the more the better as the Milwaukee Plant opened up on February 1, 1916 and then shut down for WW1 on October 1, 1918 and then was a Army Hospital and didn't re-open until June of 1927.

Thanks let me know

Reggiedog
Old 02-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #13
reggiedog

Default Re: NEED YOUR HELP ON THE Milwaukee,Wisconsin Ford Plant

HI:

If someone that lives in the Mid West and has a "R" Stamped on the front cross brace of there Car or Truck I need to talk to you.

As I might know where your CAR or TRUCK was made and it would help me out as to what I need to know about the Ford Plant in Milwaukee, WI as I'm doing research on that Plant so like I said if you have a "R" Stamped on the front cross brace of your Car or Truck PLEASE get a hold of me ASAP.

As I'm trying to find out how many Cars and Trucks have the Stamping of the "R" on the front cross braces of your Vehicles .

Thanks Let Me Know

Reggiedog
Old 02-24-2017, 09:24 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

The Twin Cities Plant stamped the rear crossmember with a letter and number to tell the assembly line what body and rear spring went on the frame. My 28 Phaeton has "P8" to indicate it's a Phaeton with an 8 leaf rear spring.

I never knew of other stampings on the frame, except the engine number.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:40 AM   #15
reggiedog

HI:
Again I know that some of you that have a car might have it covered up for the winter. But I need to get this information now. As I think it would be really nice to know what that Milwaukee Plant Stamped on the Cars and Trucks.

That they made there in that Plant. And now I got one question for you now wouldn't it be nice to know where your Car or Truck was made for sure. As I think it would be really nice to know for sure where my car was made. So I really need YOUR HELP with this now.

As I'm trying to get this all cleared up now so I can move on to something else. As I'm doing the research on the Milwaukee Plant. For about a year and a half now and I have allot of information on that Plant now. But the Cars and Trucks have to be made before August 1, 1931.

And this is just a part of the Plants History that I'm trying to find out from you guys so if you have a "R" Stamped on your Front Cross Brace Please let me know ASAP. As it would mean so much to me.

As I might be able to figure out what that Plant Stamped on there Cars and Trucks for sure. But I need your help to do it. As I think that you would like to know where your car or Truck was made for sure.

Thanks Reggiedog
Old 02-27-2017, 06:28 AM   #16
reggiedog

Question Milwaukee Ford Plant

Here's a new one for you I have a Model A Late 31 Tudor anyway on the front cross Brace there's a Letter "R" Stamped there and about 5 or 6 Numbers right under the Drivers Seat.

But what I want to know is what is with the "R" and the numbers for does everyone have the "R" and the numbers as how many do have the "R" but your Car or Truck has to of been made before August 1, 1931 as my Car was made before August 1, 1931.

As I'm thinking the "R" and the Numbers had to have something to do with something before 8-1-31 but maybe you can come up with a better idea as to what it is for.

Thanks Let Me Know
Old 02-28-2017, 12:33 AM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Milwaukee Ford Plant

See page 14,

http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/studie...ND%20CODES.pdf
Old 03-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #18
reggiedog

Mike,

I know that Steve is also looking for them. But he's looking for all of the ford plants. And I'm just looking for the Milwaukee Plant and a certain Letter witch is the letter "R". So if anyone that lives in or around the Milwaukee area you might have the letter "R" or I should say any where in Wisconsin and Upper Michigan you more then likely have the Letter "R" Stamping. As that's were the Milwaukee Ford Plants area covered when it was running. So if you could PLEASE look at your front cross Brace and see what the Letter in and if you have the Letter "R" Please let me know ASAP. As I need to find as many of them as I can so I can get the Milwaukee's Stamping Letter Documented as being the letter "R". So that's what I'm doing is trying to Document it so then we will all know that the letter "R" is for the Milwaukee Plant. As I already think it is but I have to be for sure.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:03 PM   #19
reggiedog

btt thanks
Old 03-01-2017, 09:27 PM   #20
Phil Shocklee

I live in Missouri, and purchased a 1930 Model A Tudor Sedan (55B) in 1974, here in Missouri. It had a Wisconsin title, as the man selling the car moved here from Wisconsin. They had owned it for a number of years, as he said it was his son's car and he drove it to High School in Wisconsin. When I restored the car a few years ago, and lifted the body off of the frame it has the number R2078 stamped on the crossmember under the front seat. The VIN number on the frame is the same as the title and I have researched the date of manufacture which is March 4, 1930. I strongly believe my car was built in Wisconsin, and your speculation on the Milwaukee plant agrees with all of the numbers on my car.
Phil Shocklee is offline   Reply With Quote