Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
pklarkin

Default Mrg part date for transmission case?

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of rebuilding the transmission and I can't seem to get the bearing for the main shaft to fit into the housing correctly - it sticks out too far by about 1/16th of an inch so that when I try to mount the bearing retainer the two aren't flush.

The housing I'm using is not original to the car. It doesn't have a groove for the snap ring in the main shaft bearing hole. I'm wondering if I have a housing from pre-Sept'29. If so, do I just skip the snap ring outright? Is there another part I should be using instead? I'm hoping there's a way to date the housing itself to tell if I should be using the snap ring or not. Thanks in advance for your help!
pklarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: Mrg part date for transmission case?

There 5 styles of transmission cases. There are cases that have a machined bearing stop for the front and rear ball bearings. These were the first cases used in model A's. The later style cases use a snap ring in the machined grooves. If I remember correctly, the bearings do stick out a little bit, but the bearing retainers should fit using the required gaskets. I suppose the bearings you have could be a little too thick. I saw that on a rearend I was helping rebuild a few months ago. The bearings are the same for all the cases.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Mrg part date for transmission case?

Also watch for the two different size oil slingers that fit against the insides of the two case bearings. These differences are described in the SERVICE BULLETINS.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote