Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2014, 03:44 AM   #1
Gus

Default Tudor mats/carpet

Hi all,

I have no carpet/rubber mats in my 29 Tudor RHD yet. Where does the back edge of the front mat end? A pic would be really helpful. My guess is it stops just in front of the front-seat legs, and the rear mat starts just behind the legs? I'm going to get some carpets made.

Thanks, Gus
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:31 AM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Tudor mats/carpet

i just put mats in lucy she is a 30, the rear mat has holes to go around the seat brackets and the front mat buts up to the rear one. they had guidelines which needed to be cut out...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #3
Arlen

Snyders sells the rhd rubber front mat.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Hi all,

I have no carpet/rubber mats in my 29 Tudor RHD yet. Where does the back edge of the front mat end? A pic would be really helpful. My guess is it stops just in front of the front-seat legs, and the rear mat starts just behind the legs? I'm going to get some carpets made.

Thanks, Gus
Gus,

I will try to get you those photos tomorrow...

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Gus,

The original rear carpet on my Feb/Mar 1929 Tudor Sedan covers ALL of the back floor area UP TO the back of the metal body sub-frame part for which the front seats are attached to. In other words that metal sub-frame peice IS NOT covered by the back carpet.

As far as the front carpet or rubber floor mat, I do not know. Does anyone?

Pluck
Old 10-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Blessyouboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Gus,

The original rear carpet on my Feb/Mar 1929 Tudor Sedan covers ALL of the back floor area UP TO the back of the metal body sub-frame part for which the front seats are attached to.
I didn't think standard Tudor Sedans had carpet. Are you sure yours is original?
Blessyouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
rons49

G'day Gus. The Tudors did not have carpeting until June of 1931 with the arrival of the Tudor Deluxe. I have a Deluxe 31. The carpet extends 5 1/2"inches(14cm) back from the passenger seat pivot bolt. That front carpet overlaps the rear by and inch or two. That measurement would extend across to the driver seat as well. The carpet has 1 inch wide slits cut out from the bolt 5 1/2" back. However, I have sliding seat tracks on the driver seat that you will not on the 29. Lebaron / Bonney will send you a paper template for custom carpet. You mark the template where you wish to place the cutouts, then mail it back. Fastening the carpet to the floor in the front foot wells and rear is another matter. Carpets used a unusual crimped ring that used button snaps to hold carpet in place. See the LB catalog. Rubber mats were held by a sort of stud. Rears are, as stated, laid between the rails, over the wooden floor boards. Ron
rons49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
Tudortomnz

Hi Gus
Your '29 would have had rubber mats front & rear. The back edge of the front mat ended where the metal cross piece [ floor sub frame that has the Ontario body number stamped on it] is.
Les Pearson had RHD front mats made years ago & although he no longer handles A parts [ he now writes A tech. books] there may still be someone here in NZ who has some of those mats. I have one in my A.
I have an original rear mat in mine which I can photograph for you if you want..
Send me a PM if you require..
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessyouboys View Post
I didn't think standard Tudor Sedans had carpet. Are you sure yours is original?
Yes, it is original, right down to the stiching on the carpet...right down to the carpet fasteners that attached it to the wooden floorboards...right down to the edge binding...right down to the "black mildew-proof coating on the underside of the carpet.

Tudors here in the USA had carpet through 1928 and rubber mat in 1929 to 1931. Given the "60-day rule" in the Standards, and since it is a late February assembled Tudor, just when in February is anyones guess, maybe an early March, I really do not know, that is the way it was and is.

Hell, the front cross member still has the holes for the engine splash pans and they were suposed to be deleted at the end of December or there abouts...Front cross member is original to the frame and the frame is original to the stamped engine number on the frame and on the original 1929 title.

Being it is a Seattle assembled vehicle, and since the original engine number is a late February number, and it took about two weeks or so to get that engine to Seattle, along with all the rest of the parts to complete the car, more than likely a early March assembly and still with carpet in the rear...probably the very tail end of what Ford had sent out there for assembly.

Go figure!

Is there anything else you would like to know about this Tudor as I will be glad to share it with you.

Bless you boys!

Pluck
Old 10-27-2014, 03:08 AM   #10
Gus

Thanks all for the advice and info. Since mine is an early 29 RHD I decided I could 'get away with' carpets purely for comfort/looks. I'm going to order a complete LB kit and have it shipped to new Zealand (ouch!) so I want to get things right the first time. If I could find RHD mats here in NZ I would probably go that route though.

So if I am correct, the back edge of the front mat will stop behind the front seat legs (with slots cut out) and the front edge of the back mat just behind the legs.

Appreciate your help,

Gus
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #11
JoeWay

Question Re: Tudor mats/carpet

Quote:
Gus,

The original rear carpet on my Feb/Mar 1929 Tudor Sedan...

Pluck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessyouboys View Post
Quote:
Yes, it is original...

Tudors here in the USA had carpet through 1928...
Being it is a Seattle assembled vehicle, and since the original engine number is a late February number, and it took about two weeks or so to get that engine to Seattle, along with all the rest of the parts to complete the car, more than likely a early March assembly and still with carpet in the rear...probably the very tail end of what Ford had sent out there for assembly.

Go figure!

Pluck
Hello, Steve and all...

I'm back at work on my Tudor, starting in on the upholstery panels which means I will soon need floor coverings. My search on "Tudor carpet" returned this thread which I missed while I was hiding in the weeds for a couple of years.

Steve, I have a similar car, which you saw when you were in Quincy a few years ago--a 1929 Tudor assembled in Seattle. Firewall date is 5-10-29 and body number is (I think--letters are clear but numbers are very shallow at the top) AS8576. It had carpet in the rear, as indicated by the original carpet snaps in the original rear and middle floorboards. Ron Rude has been all over my car and agrees the boards are OE.

So, I am about to order a new carpet. Snyder offers their FCC16A29-BRN
which is brown, and that's the only color they have. The only color specification I can find in the Judging Standards is brown for the 1929 Town Car.

Was brown carpet used with all '28-'29 Tudor interior colors? (Gray, blue, brown)

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:13 AM   #12
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Hi all,

Thanks, Gus
Gus, the '29 RHD Tudors had rubber mats front & rear. I have one of the old Les Pearson repro RHD mats & the original rear mat which has a pyramid pattern.
Front mat back edge ends at the seat legs, or the actual floor board.
The rear mat runs under the front seats & is on the other side of the legs.
If you contact Les here [ RHD] he may know if any are still floating around but I do not think there are any repro rear mats.
Tom in NZ.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:40 AM   #13
Synchro909

Tudortom,
FYI, The model A club in South Australia makes floor mats for RHD. I saw one or two of them at the Busselton rally in WA last year. I don't have contact. Maybe someone here has.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:56 AM   #14
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWay View Post
Hello, Steve and all...

I'm back at work on my Tudor, starting in on the upholstery panels which means I will soon need floor coverings. My search on "Tudor carpet" returned this thread which I missed while I was hiding in the weeds for a couple of years.

Steve, I have a similar car, which you saw when you were in Quincy a few years ago--a 1929 Tudor assembled in Seattle. Firewall date is 5-10-29 and body number is (I think--letters are clear but numbers are very shallow at the top) AS8576. It had carpet in the rear, as indicated by the original carpet snaps in the original rear and middle floorboards. Ron Rude has been all over my car and agrees the boards are OE.

which is brown, and that's the only color they have. The only color specification I can find in the Judging Standards is brown for the 1929 Town Car.

Was brown carpet used with all '28-'29 Tudor interior colors? (Gray, blue, brown)

Joe
Joe,

Good to see that you are out of the "weeds" and back to work on your Tudor.

Mine is a February 1929 Tudor, Seattle Assembly Plant # AS5525.

One thing interesting on mine is that it does not have, and never did have, the front "rubber" floor mat studs on the sub-frame of the body and to top it off, and for this I do not know, if it had "carpet" fasteners for a front carpet or not, if in fact they were there at one time as on the original floor boards or even the sub frame has no fasteners what so ever.

So was it a "rubber" mat or a "carpet" in the front I have no idea.

But to answer your question, my original rear carpet is brown.

Pluck
Old 08-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #15
Gary Karr

To set it straight, carpet was used in Tudors from the beginning of production into late 1928. As Steve points out, some '29 Tudors such as his came with carpet as well.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
To set it straight, carpet was used in Tudors from the beginning of production into late 1928. As Steve points out, some '29 Tudors such as his came with carpet as well.
The rubber mats had reinforced holes for studs to hold the rubber in place, but wouldn't the early carpet have snaps in the floor to hold it in place?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #17
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
The rubber mats had reinforced holes for studs to hold the rubber in place, but wouldn't the early carpet have snaps in the floor to hold it in place?
If there were, there is no indication in the metal sub frame of the car nor the wood floor board, which very well could of been replaced but who the heck knows?

Pluck
Old 08-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #18
1931 flamingo

Mike's Affordable has the front rubber mat on sale in his email to me today. FWIW
Paul in CT

29-31 with ebrake on the right
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:49 PM   #19
Jeff in BC

Hi Joe and Pluck,

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWay View Post
Hello, Steve and all...

Joe
Joe,

Good to see that you are out of the "weeds" and back to work on your Tudor.

Mine is a February 1929 Tudor, Seattle Assembly Plant # AS5525.

One thing interesting on mine is that it does not have, and never did have, the front "rubber" floor mat studs on the sub-frame of the body and to top it off, and for this I do not know, if it had "carpet" fasteners for a front carpet or not, if in fact they were there at one time as on the original floor boards or even the sub frame has no fasteners what so ever.

So was it a "rubber" mat or a "carpet" in the front I have no idea.

But to answer your question, my original rear carpet is brown.

Pluck
I also have a similar car,1929 Tudor, Seattle Assembly Plant # AS6789. This is right in between your cars and it still has a couple of the original floor mat studs riveted on.

Jeff
Jeff in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:34 PM   #20
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in BC View Post
Hi Joe and Pluck,

I also have a similar car,1929 Tudor, Seattle Assembly Plant # AS6789. This is right in between your cars and it still has a couple of the original floor mat studs riveted on.

Jeff
Jeff and Steve,

My May car has the studs for the rubber front mat. There are holes in the rear body crossmembers that I suspect would be for mat studs. They show no sign of ever having any kind of fastener in them. I hope to confirm this soon by inspecting another Tudor--a couple of fellow club members have Tudors and I hope they are later cars with mats front and rear.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote