Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
pklarkin

Default Starter hang up with modern bendix?

Hi all,

My restoration was coming along well until I tried to crank the new engine for the first time today. I've upgraded to a 12v system and put in the modern Bendix drive on the existing starter. When I try to crank the engine, I get a click and then nothing. The starter seems to spin well when I try it out of the engine, and the Bendix drive seems to spin and move like it's supposed to. Brand new battery, so that's not the issue.

I can crank the engine by hand and it doesn't seem too difficult. Not sure if I installed the modern Bendix correctly or something, but it seems straightforward.

Any thoughts on what else I should be looking at? As always, your insights and help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pat
pklarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: Starter hang up with modern bendix?

Make sure you are using the correct length starter mounting bolts. If they are too long they can hit the flywheel.

Pull the starter and inspect the starter ring gear mounted on the flywheel. Check that it is flush against the stop. Some of the repos do not fit tight and tend to migrate from the stop. Henry should have put the stop on the other side. Each time the starter engages it wants to pull the ring away from the stop instead of against it. A 12-volt system operating a 6-volt starter can increase the torque pull.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:08 AM   #3
pklarkin

Thanks for your reply Tom! I've pulled the starter and checked everything - ring gear seems solid. Any other thoughts?

Pat
Old 09-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

Make sure the bevels of the flywheel ring gear teeth are facing to the back of the car. If they are facing forward, the Bendix gear cannot engage the ring gear. You can feel through the starter hole how the teeth are oriented.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 09-05-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #5
pklarkin

Thanks Marshall. I checked and the bevel is facing the back. Wondering if the starter itself isn't strong enough to turn the engine.

Anyone have a good way to check the torque generated by the starter?
Old 09-05-2017, 09:20 AM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

If a starter mounting bolt were too long (a common problem), you would not be able to turn the engine over with a hand crank.
Do you have access to a known good starter, such as one loaned to you by a local Model A guy? If that starter turns the engine over with no problem, then you know your starter is at fault. Given that you can turn the engine over with a hand crank and that the ring gear bevels are facing the rear of the car, the problem almost certainly has to lie in your starter and/or Bendix drive. If no loaner starter is available, take the starter to a small motor repair shop and have them load test it.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
SeaSlugs

Since you said "restoration" that usually signifys fresh paint. Paint makes an amazing insulator. Run a jumper cable from your starter housing to the battery terminal that you call ground then try to crank it over. Im guessing you have a poor ground.

If it still doesn't want to spin, remove the starter and bench test it.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
pklarkin

Hi folks,

Thanks for your help. Jumper cables didn't work, but running the negative and positive leads directly to the starter worked! Thanks very much for your help.

Pat