Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
'35Coup

Default Few questions.....New Flathead owner!!!

Hey All,

My Grandfather passed away this past November and left me his restored 1935 five window coup that he'd been building since the 60's. I have never owned nor driven one of these old Fords so I joined this forum to ask questions and learn as much as I can from all you early Ford pro's. I am a lifelong "car guy" and have worked on cars for most of my life so I have the mechanical ability, just am lacking experience with something this old. Please don't hesitate to send me any and all info and advice you may have, especially if it pertains to specifics about running the car at high elevation as I live just outside of Denver, CO. The Ford has a 59 A-B V8 that, from what I can tell based on some research, is out of a '46. I just got the Ford home this weekend and immediately started checking all fluids, belts ect before I fired it up as it hasn't been run in over 2 years. Once everything checked out I decided to fire it up and run it around the block real quick just to see how she did (no license plates yet). Everything seemed to work great except one thing; when shifting between gears while driving it feels like the gears are grinding (like if you were to try shifting without pushing in the clutch) right away then it will go into gear. I make sure the clutch is all the way pressed down and my foot is all the way off the accelerator but it still grinds at first. Is this normal for these old cars? I've only driven it this one time and now I'm scared to drive it again as I don't want to damage anything. Any and all comments are welcome. I'll be posting many more questions but I'll start with this one! Thanks for the help!
'35Coup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Binx

Default Re: Few questions.....New Flathead owner!!!

Man, that is really cool and I hope you hang on to it and pass it on to your grandson. Not much of a drivetrain guy on these things, but I guarantee you will be helped here. Welcome!!

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
ford1

to start check the free play in the clutch pedal should be around 1/2 " to 1", sitting that long the clutch might be hanging up on the main shaft set free play and then drive it, if things are sticky working the clutch might help free it up, the trans is a syncro so it shouldnt do that, also make sure you have the right weight trans oil, 90 w and its full up,

Last edited by ford1; 03-12-2012 at 11:26 PM.
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Mike in AZ

Welcome to the 'Barn....i'm sorry to hear of your grandfather's passing, but now you can keep his memory alive while driving the coupe.....could be just stiff shifting 'til it's been driven for a while....original transmission??....and of course, do you have pics??...we love pics here....lol....enjoy and ask any and all questions you have....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
Old Henry

I'm assuming that since you have a '46 engine you might also have the '46 transmission which is the same as the one in my '47. I have had it rebuilt twice and I still have to wait just the right amount of time between gears shifting up (from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd) to keep them from "grinding." Then, there is no shifting down from 3rd to 2nd without "double clutching" and no way to get into 1st except at dead stop. Even then, before shifting into 1st from dead stop I briefly shift into second keeping the clutch down to stop the gears from spinning so that they won't grind going into first.

If you do have the '46 transmission, keep in mind that when going into 2nd or 3rd the gears don't actually mesh. It's the syncro mechanism that's "meshing." What is "grinding" is that mechanism, not actual gears. However, going into 1st and reverse, which, mind you, can only be done at full dead stop, the grinding is actually the gears trying to mesh. (No syncro in those gears.) That's why I usually slip it into 2nd for an instant leaving the clutch in to stop the gears so they'll mesh.

Practice shifting into 2nd and 3rd at different rates until you find the right speed that lets the gears slow down just enough but not too much for the syncro to mesh.

Just in case you're not sure what "double clutching" is I'll explain.
When shifting down from 3rd to 2nd the gears need to be "sped up" in order to mesh smoothly. To do that you push in the clutch, put the transmission in neutral, let up on the clutch, and rev the engine a bit to what you think is the right speed for the syncro to mesh, then push in the clutch and slip it into 2nd quickly while the engine is still revved. With practice you'll get the feel of what's just the right "revving" to do the trick. Likewise, if you've been coasting in neutral a while going down hill and are ready to put it into 3rd you'll need to do the same thing - rev the engine while in neutral with the clutch out to the speed you think will be right when you put it into third, push the clutch down, and slip it into 3rd quickly while the engine is still revved.

Hope this helps
Old 03-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
Old Henry

As to running the car at high altitude, I get more power out of my 59A-B engine at my altitude in Utah, that's almost as high as yours, by advancing the timing as far as I can as well as the vacuum advance on the distributor. Never get a ping until I get below 3,000 feet then have to retard the vacuum advance a little.

You can also check the jets in your carburetor. If you're running a Holley 94 (Ford 59) carburetor and the car has been near sea level with the stock 50-51 jets you could change them to 49's at your altitude and save a little gas.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
41 Fords ohio

I completely agree with Old Henry. Remember it's not a Toyota,it'll take some getting used to. Take your time, no speed shifting. If it's a stock trans you can lock it up. When I was a younger and dumber I spent many hours trying to unlock my trans because I lost my mind and yanked it into gear. Welcome to the Ford Barn. Good luck with the 35 they're beautiful cars.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
my4dv8

All gears should should shift up steadily on their own (no speed shifts) down 3 to 2 is normal . 2 to 1 needs to be stopped or double de clutched as described. Clutch in shift to neutral from 2nd, clutch out, clutch in shift to 1st. all kind of positive but gentle.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #9
Mr 42

Old Henry is right.
And all old gearboxes are different, and takes sometime to figure out how to handle them, Without extra noice.

Don't rev to much before you shift, start from low revs and check when it start making noices. You have the torque for it
Mr 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Your grandfather must have thought highly of you to pass his beloved early Ford V8 on to you...so I'm sure you want to do him proud by taking good care of his 'baby'. Many of these old EFV8's got a 59 series engine transplant back in the day. When the original 21 stud, 221 CI, 85 hp engine gave up the ghost it was so easy to go to a local junkyard and pick up the then later model FH V8 and drop it right in. It was much easier and less costly back then to just swap in a 59 engine and keep on keepin' on. Heck, that's exactly what I did in 1959 after I pleaded with My Dad to buy me this '35 3W coupe that a local junkyard had just hauled in the yard with freeze cracked 21 stud original engine. I had that coupe on the road in 1960 right after I turned 16. I owned that car right up to 1976. It was taking up space in my then one car garage and being a family man with two young children, I did not have the time nor the money to work on it...so like a big dummy I sold it and used the money for other necessities. I doubt your granddad replaced the original floor shift transmission with a '46 column shift transmission because back in the day it was much cooler to have 3 on the floor then 3 on the tree, but he may have put the better gears from a '46 box into his stock '35 box and topped it off with a '39 shifter. Or he may have just married that 59 to the original stock '35 transmission which will normally give you some 'raking' of gears sound when shifting between second and third. All of my '35's did this occasionally and the one's I own today also do that. Don't worry about it, just drive it and learn to properly double clutch when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd back to 2nd. The more you work on and drive that '35 the more of an addicted V8'er you will become. Good luck, ask lots of questions here and welcome to the Ford Barn!! You are going to like what you can learn here.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-13-2012 at 06:27 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
Mart

Congrats, Your grampops left you a very desirable car. Conserve it as best you can and it will always be a reminder of him and his benevolence.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #12
Tom Morookian

Sitting for "over 2 years" worries me.

1st- Stale gas can be a killer. Gums up the carb and could make a gooey mess in the tank.

Drain the tank completely and see how much sludge drops out. If it's alot, flush it with several gallons of straight ethanol.

2nd- check that the wheel cylinders are not leaking (assuming you have juice brakes), if not, the mechanicals hardly ever leak (YUK<YUK). If they are jucie brakes, suck out the fluid from the master and flush each wheel thru the bleeder with fresh fluid.

Certainly change the oil. Maybe twice, once for an hour or so on 5/30 to flush it then reload with real oil.

A radiator flush and refill never hurts.
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #13
Planojc

Locate a Early Ford V8 Club in your area. They are always willing to help.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planojc View Post
Locate a Early Ford V8 Club in your area. They are always willing to help.
Tom Webb, President Hi-Country EFV8 Club. P O Box 3137 Centennial CO 80122. 303 789 3956
He will put you in touch with someone that can help you.
Good luck with a very nice car!!
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #15
41LjH

Shifting the old three speed is a zen thing. A friend bought a 40 pickup and the first time I rode with him I thought he was going to tear the transmission out. A few weeks later he was shifting smooth as silk. The trans didn't change he did. So take your time and shift it easy. It will scrape till you find the sweet spot.
How about some pictures??
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #16
Mike in AZ

heck, Rumbleseat is up in Denver, isn't he??....probably a bunch of flathead guys up there...have fun.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
Ol' Ron

Ton has the right idea, you might want to put the front bumper up against a concret wakk and give the clutch a little cleaning, get rid of any rust that might have formed.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
VeryTangled

Hi 35Coupe! I'm also a newbie at driving these old Fords. I'm on year 2 and still am not as good as I'd like at being gentle on the gearbox. My best suggestion is to slow down the shifts. When compared to a modern manual transmission you really have to go slowly. My modern manual is a quick dab on the clutch and a yank out of, and into the next gear. The Ford is #1 clutch & out of gear, #2 pause, #3 into gear.

I second the thought that you've got your hands on a very desirable car. Also second the suggestion that you get involved with the local regional group of the Early Ford V8 Club of America. You'll find that there are many generous and knowledgable V8'ers.

-VeryTangled/Jeff
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #19
Shadetree

35Coup,
A hearty welcome to the forum. That's quite an inheritance and I am sure your grandfather made a wise decision!

Sounds like the clutch is not releasing fully if it rakes going in first. Could be just a minor adjustment. Learn your new car, shift gears a little slower. Take it to car shows and you will meet a lot of nice people. Show off the flathead engine and watch the old-timers grin when they see it. Get used to hearing “I used to have one jist like it”...

Shadetree
Old 03-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #20
59ab

Welcome to the Barn!
59ab is offline   Reply With Quote