Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #1
56sedandelivery

Default Assembly Manual

Is there such a thing as an assembly manual? My sedan delivery is torn down to a bare shell for body work and would like to know if there is a assembly manual I can follow putting it back together the correct way. Thanks. I have the body trim and sealant manual but does not cover what I am looking for.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Assembly Manual

Ford didn't publish any that I'm aware of. GM did for quite a few years in the 60s but I don't know about the 50s. It helps to have factory overhaul and parts manuals. Ford used chassis parts manuals and body parts manuals. The chassis part manuals were updated every year and combined with previous models to a point. The Body manuals were sometimes combined but they were made for each year separately for a while too. I'm not sure about 1956 though.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
56sedandelivery

I have a 53-57 body parts manual but was just looking for something specific.

Also the u nuts that were used were 1/4-20 and 5/16-24. Some have gone missing and trying to find replacement. So far the 1/4-20 are around but can only find 5/16-18. Would like to keep them all the same. Anyone know were you can get 5/16-24 U nuts?
Old 09-16-2019, 10:58 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

I had to cut most of the floor out of my '55 Courier (pretty much leaving nothing but the transmission hump), but the metal under the wood in the cargo bay was still like new. Also, both inner and outer rockers had to be cut off completely as well as a portion of the underfloor braces. Had to also cut off the rear quarters from the middle of the taillight to about an inch from the door all the way down.
As long as your new metal is prepared with the "Z" flange tool, you can tuck the "flanged tab" of the new panels in behind the portion you had cut off.
I suggest making sure body shell is on a level surface first. If welding is to occur while body is sitting on frame, make sure the frame is level at all four corners and that the frame is not twisted.
Do floor panels first, then inner rockers, then underfloor braces, then rear quarters and finally the outer rockers under the doors.
Ya really don't need any kind of assembly manual for this, I didn't have one and have rebuilt two '55 Fords this way.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:44 AM   #5
KULTULZ

Question Re: Assembly Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56sedandelivery View Post

also the u nuts that were used were 1/4-20 and 5/16-24. Some have gone missing and trying to find replacement. So far the 1/4-20 are around but can only find 5/16-18. Would like to keep them all the same. Anyone know were you can get 5/16-24 u nuts?

u-nuts?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:18 AM   #6
56sedandelivery

These things, cannot find 5/16-24 anywhere.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...u+nut&_sacat=0
Old 09-17-2019, 06:47 AM   #7
58Yeoman

I looked on McMaster-Carr, and all they have is 5/16-18. Seems if they don't have it, it's no longer made.

https://tinyurl.com/y5t48fnh
58Yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:06 AM   #8
alt63bird

Quote:
Is there such a thing as an assembly manual? My sedan delivery is torn down to a bare shell for body work and would like to know if there is a assembly manual I can follow putting it back together the correct way. Thanks. I have the body trim and sealant manual but does not cover what I am looking for.
If you have the reproduction of the Body/Trim/Sealant Manual, then you're probably aware that reproductions of the Electrical Assembly Manual were made - both were reprinted by Jim Osborne Reproductions in Georgia in the mid-'90s and should be available. Those are as close as you're going to get to an "assembly" manual. Ford did have engineering manuals for welding the body together that I've seen copies of in the Ford Industrial Archives in Dearborn, but I'm not aware that any have been reprinted.

Jim Osborne filled a big information hole by reprinting the Body/Trim/Sealer and Electrical Assembly manuals for mid-'50s and later Fords and T-birds, along with some engine assembly manuals, but apparently felt there wasn't much of a market for some of the other more engineering-related items. It well could be that engineering/assembly drawings for chassis/frame are in private hands that could be reproduced, but I'm not aware that any have surfaced.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Post Re: Assembly Manual

Quote:

These things, cannot find 5/16-24 anywhere.

Do you have an AUTO PAINT/BODY SUPPLY CO. near you? They should have them or be able to order them. If not, I will try to locate for you.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #10
rotorwrench

In Aviation, they are referred to in multiple ways depending on the application. The U-shaped Tinnerman is the only one that uses"U" in the description. Most are referred to as clip nuts. Aerospace applications use mostly fine thread for fasteners so there should be something available up to 5/16". They are made for different panel thicknesses and different distances from the edge of the panel to the center of the fastener hole.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote