Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #41
Wrenchy61

Default Re: Air filter for Model A

Car owners throw away the highly efficient pleated paper filter which is sized for twice the air flow requirement of the engine to allow for particle loading and replace it with a K&N low efficiency filter. Stupid is as stupid does!

The only benefit of a K&N is at the maximum rpm of an engine when the pumping loss of the engine is lowered. If anyone thinks this filter will benefit a Model A is sadly mistaken. A K&N filter application on a Model A tells me the owner knows nothing about engines.

Take a K&N filter without the screen, hold it up at eye level, peer through the filter, and watch white cars go by! If you don't believe me, compare the filtration efficiencies!

My Model A has an Air Maze with pleated paper. This filter offers protection against lubricating oil particulate which is extremely important because the standard Model A has no full flow or by pass filtration system for the lube oil.
Wrenchy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #42
Dick Carne

I personally don't care for them, and unless you are running on a good number of dirt roads, I see no real benefit. We installed one on my nephew's roadster pickup when he first finished it - within three months we removed it because the engine would not idle well, and equally did not run well at low speeds. Removing the filter alone (with no other adjustments) made all the difference in the world. I do think that they make interesting paperweights though.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #43
Del in NE Ohio

I'll answer your question directly. I bought one two years ago and have used it on my "A" for approx 7-8000 miles. No problems. Even with my unbalanced Zenith carb.
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #44
160B

[QUOTE=Wrenchy61;922003]...Take a K&N filter without the screen, hold it up at eye level, peer through the filter, and watch white cars go by! If you don't believe me, compare the filtration efficiencies!..../QUOTE]

Could you help me understand your terminology, what is "the screen" on a K&N filter?

Thank you

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #45
Purdy Swoft

People that have never owned a model A automatically figure that they know more about my cars than I do. They always go on and on about how I should install some sort of air filter, even on my cars with dual updraft B carbs. I always try and be nice and humor them. First I try to tell them that there is simply no room. That never works and I tell them how they restrict air flow and cause rich operation. I then tell how the engine pans prevent dirt entering the carbs and how Henry didn't think that an air filter was needed . tring to explain why I don't use filters is never understood..I usually have to promise to install filters to get them to drop the subject.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:09 PM   #46
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Purdy,

Or you could tell them you only use your filters when the mosquitoes get plentiful -- that should draw a blank look & allow time for you to change the subject. LOL

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 08-05-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #47
GrandpasA

I want a air maze on my A, they look cool with the k&n filter on them.. Just my opinion..
GrandpasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #48
Purdy Swoft

If you chose to use an air maze, it is best to use a lock nut on the screw that holds the air maze to the carb. The air maze is famous for the screw backing out and the air maze falling off .
Old 08-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #49
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Purdy,

Or you could tell them you only use your filters when the mosquitoes get plentiful -- that should draw a blank look & allow time for you to change the subject. LOL
Hi Henry,
Thats a good one , I'll have to try it.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #50
mrraford

My what reactions to the simple air filter issue!
I have run one of these "above the carburetor" air filters on my pickup for several years. It works properly with no carburetion problems because the filter restricts airflow much less than the old paper filters sold for the other type.
It is pricey but it works very well. I would purchase another if my 68C was ready for the road.
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #51
H. L. Chauvin

Maybe Model A air filters could be compared to the later introduction of cigarette filters -- some people liked them & some did not -- anyway after 100,000 Model A miles, like with the old vintage cigarette ads, would it be appropriate to ask a Model A owner:

"Are you smoking more & enjoying it less." LOL
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #52
Purdy Swoft

As far as smoking goes, I'm glad that Deb kept on at me untill I quit nineteen years ago. As for my thoughts on air filters on the model A , no harm meant. If running a filter makes a person feel better and they feel that its the right thing to do, they should use one.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #53
steve s

If balancing the air pressures in carburetors doesn't matter and if using an air filter isn't a good idea, I wonder why all modern (post mid-1930's) have been balanced and air filtered?
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #54
Purdy Swoft

An air balanced carburetor will help to some extent. Air passing through the air horn of the carb will have no effect on the gas in the bowl of an air balanced carburetor. Any air filter will have some effect on the amount of air that can flow through the air horn of any carburetor. From a performance stand point, an engine is an air pump. The more air that an engine can pump the more power it can produce. Back in the day some would remove the air cleaner from the carburetor to get more power and it worked and the carburetors were all air balanced. When you look into the air horn of a modern carburetor, that little tube sticking up with an angled tip is the balance tube. The balance tube helped but didn't remove all of the air flow restriction caused by an air filter. I run engine pans and don't run mine on dirt roads where dust levels could be a problem. Thats not to say that I would never drive on a dirt road. If its dry and dusty I would use a different vehicle. Mine are just fun cars and are not used for primary transportation. I don't necessarily feel that air balancing the carburetor is a bad idea. I just don't feel that air balancing the model A carburetor or an air filter is necessary unless they will have to be driven in extreme dusty conditions. I feel that under the right conditions the model A will give better performance and gas milage with no restriction of air flow through the air horn of the carburetor.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #55
GrandpasA

so anyone got a air maze for sale? I know I can probally look in the classifieds, I'm just being lazy..
Old 08-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #56
tiger.1000

If you have the time on your hands.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FORD AIR FILTER (4).JPG (124.9 KB, 152 views)
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #57
GrandpasA

not much time left on these hands, but I got Ben franklen to help me out..lol
Old 08-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #58
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpasA View Post
so anyone got a air maze for sale? I know I can probally look in the classifieds, I'm just being lazy..
Most any of the model a parts houses carry them and would be your best bet for a nice clean one . Snyders lists them on page A-143 The plain Air Maze with mesh filter lists for only 25.95 . They list the high volume Air Maze with elbow connection for $33.95 andthe high boy air filter for $69.95 . This sould give you an idea of price and selection of filter setups that are offered. They also offer replacement filters.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #59
Jerry in Shasta

If model A's do not need filters, why do all modern cars have them? Don't we all use the same dirty air?

As for running rich I set the fuel level about 1/16" lower.

JB
Jerry in Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #60
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry in Shasta View Post
If model A's do not need filters, why do all modern cars have them? Don't we all use the same dirty air? ... JB
I guess engineers and accountants in Detroit (and Japan and Germany and Great Britain and Italy) must have determined early on that air-balancing carbs and using air filters is cheaper than a good set of engine pans!
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote