Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #21
TJ

Default Re: Warning about c&g

I've bought from C and G for years and never had a problem. The problem as I see it is your mechanic talked with them and you have no idea how that conversation began or ended. I don't see anywhere in your post that you talked directly with C and G about the issue. Without talking directly to them yourself you come to this forum and start throwing rocks at C and G. Maybe you should call C and G yourself and explain the situation. Maybe send them a photo or two to help explain the fit problem. Talk nicely on the phone and you would be surprised how easily it will be to resolve the problem.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #22
rotorwrench

When folks order new tanks for the old Fords, they run into all sorts of problems due to the fact that the sender bungs are set up for the modern stuff more in tune with the street rodder crowd. That right there is a strike against purchase of a tank like this. I'd cut the bung out and modify the tank for an original Hydrostatic type installation like they had back then.

I don't know why the hydrostatic adapter doesn't fit the tank but it doesn't surprise me at all that crap that shouldn't be needed doesn't fit a tank that is improperly manufactured. You can't completely blame the vendors. A lot of vendors sell this crap and they warn you that it's not original. That right there should tell you something. I agree that the right folks at these vendors should be made aware of the problem so they can tack more warnings on to their warnings.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #23
Andy

The tank is obviously meant for a late model fuel injected engine and modern gauges. I have put modern gauges in early tanks by redrilling the gauge flanges. I would look into redrilling the old sender to fit. You are already having to fill the pump hole.
If that is not exceptable, an adapter possibly could be made. I was putting a late sender in an early tank and the guy had an adapter. I did not use it. It was a disk with counter sunk holes for the early tank and tapped holes for the new sender. It was going in a 46 pick up and there was a space problem.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #24
Karl Wescott

Just to find out what is going on...

Original hydrostatic used a 6 screw on 2" circle.
Early Ford electric used a 6 on 2-3/4" circle.
Late (most street rod) uses a 5 on 2-3/4" circle.

What is the tank?
What is the adapter?

Many tanks are made to the "modern" 5 x 2-3/4", with a adapter sold for the 6 x 2-3/4". I have not seen a adapter to the 6 x 2".
Karl Wescott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #25
woodiewagon46

It is literally impossible to return a part to Rock Auto, past the return date, even if it's a defective part. When I was fitting the exhaust in my car, I knew what mufflers I was going to use and ordered them in advance. As I progressed with the piping and opened the muffler boxes, I noticed that the mufflers were different. Same box, same part number, but reversed. On one muffler it looked like it was assembled backwards. Everything was reversed, offset, outlet, inlet, hangers and stampings. Obviously a screw up. When I called to ask about a return I was told nothing can be exchanged after the 30 day period. Despite several E-Mails (a phone number is impossible to get and talk to a human) explaining the situation I was told that my case was purged from the system. Had to purchase another muffler. Moral of the story is that if you are building a street rod and like to order parts in advance and have them on a shelf ready to go, make sure you open every box and check it out.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #26
tubman

I have found myself in the same situation as "woodiewagon46" and always realized it was my problem and never blamed the vendor, We are engaging in a hobby and they are running a business. Rules is rules. If you are going to play the game, please follow them. He also gives good advice at the end.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:19 AM   #27
MGG

I also come to the defense of C&G. I have dealt with most of the vendors in the last 7 years and C&G is my vendor of 1st choice. I have had only one problem, and Dorothy (owner), corrected it to my satisfaction, immediately.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #28
Bill

I deal with C&G every year at Wavecrest and always find them obliging. Having said that Diggers mechanic might have suggested to the counterman that he should grab the part #s in question from stock and quickly try to line them up on the counter for proof. Might have saved a pizzin' match. just sayin' Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #29
Fred A

All this about C&G made me check my notes and found a small gaff that moved them out of first place. I needed a couple of V8-60 water pump gaskets. They arrived in a generous size box. They could have been tucked into a birthday card with one stamp. From that time concern about shipping and tax in a state that knows how to be the leader, I've made other plans. Would really like to find a reason to do business there. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #30
Joe Immler

I have bought parts from C&G and have never had a problem. As the others have said "talk to Kyle" or another manager. They WILL make it good.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #31
Dunk

I started dealing with C&G this year. Every transaction has been excellent. They shipped a few things that didn't fit but were gracious about my returning for full refund and they paid return shipping since it was a vendor problem. Kyle cares and responds immediately to problems. Sorry you had problems. Give them another try.
Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #32
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

I live thousands of miles away in new Zealand and have been dealing with C&G for many years. Never had a problem. I do remember however, that way back that there was an issue with Drake's sending units not being compatible with original fuel tanks.
Chris.NZ.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #33
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpipes View Post
I like C&G.
I don't like C&G and they are in my back yard. Dennis Carpenter is much better. Backorder Bob's is useless.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #34
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
I bought a new gas tank for 33-34 (part 40-9002-OR) and was told by them I would need part number 40-9003 to adapt the original sending unit to this new tank. $45 bucks. See page 121 of their catalog.

IT DOES NOT FIT, THE HOLES DO NOT LINE UP! My mechanic shop of over 25 years of working on my cars called them, to be told we didn’t know what we are doing. The employee on the phone rude and refused to listen. I spent thousands of dollars on parts, will never spend another penny with them.

Have been told by our local EFV8 parts place that they sold me a ‘35 adapter. Their catalog and part are incorrect.
Interesting when reading your first post it sounds like you didn't call personally and maybe you weren't even where you could hear the call. Did your mechanic start with an "attitude" when he made the call? Your mechanic ends up looking better if he solves a problem for you. Call them yourself. If this finally gets settled in a positive way please consider revising your title to be fair to them.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 09-12-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:25 AM   #35
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
This is one of those posts that defies all other experiences.. In fact, having done business with them for over thirty years, I have never heard another complaint like it. I'm flabbergasted. Since your mechanic made the call, can you be sure he didn't imbelish a bit out of frustration? I suggest you call them personally, and ask for Kyle. Whatever happened C&G will make it right.
I agree with Russ 100 percent. "Talk to the organ grinder".

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:06 AM   #36
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
Just to find out what is going on...

Original hydrostatic used a 6 screw on 2" circle.
Early Ford electric used a 6 on 2-3/4" circle.
Late (most street rod) uses a 5 on 2-3/4" circle.

What is the tank?
What is the adapter?

Many tanks are made to the "modern" 5 x 2-3/4", with a adapter sold for the 6 x 2-3/4". I have not seen a adapter to the 6 x 2".
Read the above post which is the correct information. On reviewing an older Bob Drake catalog I note that part # 40-9003 is the correct adaptor for his new fuel tanks which adapt the early ford tanks 1933 to 1935 HYDROSTATIC FUEL SENDER. Don't know if he makes these anymore. C&G list that same part number to suit the 1936 onwards electric fuel King Seely type sender. So there is a mix up here somewhere by C&G on the part number I believe. C&G list another adaptor for modern sender units #Us-54. Chase up C&G yourself and don't leave it to your mechanic who does not have this information. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:08 AM   #37
Bill S

I have used C&G over the years and had only the best customer service. There is something wrong. Maybe it is the way your mechanic approached them. Talk with Kyle.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #38
Darrell S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
I have used C&G over the years and had only the best customer service. There is something wrong. Maybe it is the way your mechanic approached them. Talk with Kyle.
Ditto.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:47 PM   #39
rbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
most of us are old & in our day things were a lot different. people were help full & careing it,s a lot different today. the america we grew up in is gone.
I beg to differ. It is not gone, but is certainly harder to find.
rbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:20 PM   #40
A bones

I just had to know.

So I did a count of the 39 replies so far.

Outside Expectations or Experiences with Outside purchases 13 posts.

Positive comments of C&G experience 22 posts.

Negative comments of C&G By the OP 2 posts.

Negative comments of C&G by others 2 posts.

Good night.