Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2019, 06:18 PM   #21
Synchro909

Default Re: waterpump options for a 1931

[QUOTE=M2M;1755199]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post

How did you make your own if you didn't tool up? I like the idea of an "Aussie Outback" pump. If the $A falls it may viable. With soft and undersized shafts the norm, sounds like the hobby could use it or at least proper shafts.
MM2M, I made up some tooling to make my own pumps on my lathe but it was not for large scale production. It took way too long to make each one to be commercially viable. To produce any signifant numbers, I'd have to change the way everything was done, like using a die to cast the new bodies, not sand. That costs big bucks, then there is the machining, none of which I would trust to a foreign workshop. Quality would be paramount.
You hit the nail on the head about the shafts. The problem with all of the modern "leakless" pumps and rebuild kits is that the shafts are too soft and they have seals rubbing on them. Whether it be original style gland packing or a modern style synthetic seal, they all quickly wear the soft shaft and your problems begin. Those who don't do many miles are unlikely to be bothered for a few years but those of us who drive our cars, like me, need something better. As I said, my pump have NOTHING running on the shaft so even these soft shafts should last indefinately.
Even with the exchange rate as crappy as it is, the price is likely to mean that by the time I pay expenses within the US, the price to the public would have to be high enough that viability rapidly falls. All that is compounded by the perception amongst Americans that "foreign" is rubbish and Australia would be considered foreign. No need for me to say anything about those soft shafts and where the specifications for them come from.

Last edited by Synchro909; 05-09-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote