Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #1
snappydon

Default Removing Front Transverse Leaf Spring Questions

I'm getting ready to dig into swapping and refreshing all the suspension components of the 37 1-1/2 ton chassis's I'm working with.

My question is about removing the complete front assembly. I've read about needing "spring spreaders" on the springs. Does this apply to a big truck?

It appears that I can just remove the 2 U-bolts at the center of the front spring set, open the ball type mount at the rear of the wishbone, unhook the mechanical brakes rods and remove the steering link at the Pitman shaft. And then the whole assembly will come out as 1 unit. Is this correct? Or is there some hidden monster lurking in wait to bite me?

Thanks!

Last edited by snappydon; 11-22-2016 at 08:51 PM.
snappydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Removing Front Transverse Leaf Spring Questions

Yeah, that should do it if it has a transverse spring and no shocks. I thought all those big 1-1/2 ton trucks had longitudinal springs front and back. Learn something every day!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:56 PM   #3
snappydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Yeah, that should do it if it has a transverse spring and no shocks. I thought all those big 1-1/2 ton trucks had longitudinal springs front and back. Learn something every day!
Thanks Mike,

There aren't any shocks...

This is about the best pic I have at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37 ford 061.jpg (79.4 KB, 69 views)
Old 11-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappydon View Post
I'm getting ready to dig into swapping and refreshing all the suspension components of the 37 1-1/2 ton chassis's I'm working with.

My question is about removing the complete front assembly. I've read about needing "spring spreaders" on the springs. Does this apply to a big truck?

It appears that I can just remove the 2 U-bolts at the center of the front spring set, open the ball type mount at the rear of the wishbone, unhook the mechanical brakes rods and remove the steering link at the Pitman shaft. And then the whole assembly will come out as 1 unit. Is this correct? Or is there some hidden monster lurking in wait to bite me?

Thanks!
You can remove the front suspension just as you described, BUT one safety precaution you might want to consider taking is to clamp that spring, or wrap a chain around it in some way, just incase the threads fail on that one bolt and nut holding the entire spring together, allowing the whole spring pack come apart.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:16 PM   #5
alanwoodieman

JM 35 noted the one bolt holding the spring pack together. if you decide the need for disassembly of this pack, it will take a lot of force to spread the spring--I would submit to you to clamp the spring with two c-clamps-remove the center spring and install a longer bolt-do not tighten just leave about an inch of free length-slowly let off on the c clamps to the length of the free bolt length, loosen the bolt some more and repeat until the spring leaves are loose, you can replace the same way. you will have to remove the factory u clamp bolts on the spring pack
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
snappydon

Ok...noted! I don't foresee any need to disassemble the spring pack on either chassis that I'm going to be swapping between. My hope and plan is to take a well greased and operating front assembly off of the long wheelbase chassis and bolt it up to the short wheelbase frame. The suspension and steering components I'm replacing have been sitting out in the weather for decades. BUT...I was pleasantly surprised that when I decided to try and see if it would take grease...EVERY fitting on the truck took grease and distributed it. I was amazed.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:28 PM   #7
Kurt in NJ

I don't know if the trucks got them, the cars have a fitting on the spring centerbolt, even though it is a grease fitting it isn't for grease, it's for spring lube, grease cloggs up the passages
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #8
snappydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I don't know if the trucks got them, the cars have a fitting on the spring centerbolt, even though it is a grease fitting it isn't for grease, it's for spring lube, grease cloggs up the passages
Interesting...I'll check for that. Where does one acquire "spring lube"?