Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2021, 08:50 PM   #41
Kube

Default Re: KR Wilson spring spreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyodyne View Post
I think I understand. Yes, it would be tough to fabricate to replace that casting, without spending huge time on it. Thanks for the photos.
As a (retired) tool maker, I can tell you to make one of that piece would take a few hours at most. Not complicated whatsoever.
Methinks the shop that didn't want to do simply didn't want to do it.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:33 PM   #42
Lawson Cox

If the spring is in a car/truck, you can support the ends of the spring with blocks and/or jacks to take the weight off the shackles and remove them that way. And yes, just slight movement indicates the pressure is off.

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:42 PM   #43
Yoyodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.
I'd recommend 6 jackstands. 4 under the frame to jack the car up level. Jack the rear up until there is a little weight on the spring, and put 2 stands under the rear housings. Then jack up on one side of the rear housing another inch or so and cut a length of 4X4 to support the eye of the spring to the floor, but not enough to make the car unstable on the 4 jackstands. Jack up the other eye of the spring a little and the shackles should be relaxed and able to be withdrawn from the perches. Repeat raising the spring eyes a little at a time if they aren't free yet, until they are free. If you are removing the rear, the next step is to drop it to the ground and unbolt the rest of it.

All the getting up and down off the floor is a PITA, it's nice to have someone else to help run the jack and to hand you blocks. A bottle jack or 2 can be handy to put adjustable upward pressure on the spring eyes instead of 4X4s.

If you have 2 floor jacks, put one up under each spring eye until the shackles get loose.

Last edited by Yoyodyne; 07-10-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Yoyodyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #44
Yoyodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
As a (retired) tool maker, I can tell you to make one of that piece would take a few hours at most. Not complicated whatsoever.
What would you charge for one?
Yoyodyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:05 PM   #45
John R

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8fordman View Post
Here are a couple of pictures of the attachment that allows you to remove (or install) the front spring using a KRW spring spreader. Notice how it attaches which causes the overall length of the piece reaching the spring to become reduced. This works very well as most KRW tools do. As mentioned earlier, this is a VERY rare attachment for the KRW spring spreader. I've only seen two in my life.

The attachment shown allows the KRW spring spreader to be used on 35 - 48 front springs. It won't work on the 32 - 34 springs. Other methods, some mentioned in this thread, have to be used for those early cars.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:04 PM   #46
v8fordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
My guy has made many complicated dies and is quiet accomplished as a retired old school tool and die maker who says it can't be made in a few hours. You might be surprised at some of the household items that you have that he made the dies for...back in the day. He has never shied away from anything I have asked him to do, so your assumption that he "simply didn't want to do it" is a false assumption. It's a function of cost versus return on investment. He made several dies for me to make the parts I made for the late Roy Nacewicz.

Now that you have stated you can do one in a "few hours", the cost factor just went down. I'll bet we can sell a few and I see someone else has already said he would take one. I bet there are more out there. How about it?
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:55 AM   #47
Mart

Lawson. if you are just 1/8" too long, could you just weigh the car down a bit to gain the 1/8"? A couple of people sitting in it would do that or a ratchet strap around the axle and crossmember would pull it down.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:06 AM   #48
Bill OH

I changed the spring shackles on a 38 ford in 1950 using a model T Ford jack under the spring eyes. Later made a spreader using 3/4” redi bolt, pipe, nut, thrust bearing and welded spades onto the pipe. Worked very well. Keep in mind that the spring is in a pxxxd off position and whatever you are using should be very secure.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:27 AM   #49
1931 flamingo

Is anyone with a spreader close to Lawson who could help him???
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:33 PM   #50
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyodyne View Post
What would you charge for one?
Retired
Old 07-12-2021, 06:50 PM   #51
Kube

Quote:
My guy has made many complicated dies and is quiet accomplished as a retired old school tool and die maker who says it can't be made in a few hours. You might be surprised at some of the household items that you have that he made the dies for...back in the day. He has never shied away from anything I have asked him to do, so your assumption that he "simply didn't want to do it" is a false assumption. It's a function of cost versus return on investment. He made several dies for me to make the parts I made for the late Roy Nacewicz.

Now that you have stated you can do one in a "few hours", the cost factor just went down. I'll bet we can sell a few and I see someone else has already said he would take one. I bet there are more out there. How about it?
I spent the better part of my life's work as a tool maker retiring in 2006. Within that trade are varying levels of skills and experiences.
I would not be surprised of anything your friend may have produced. Nor would he most likely not be surprised by the dies I had produced.
However, I doubt you or anyone else would have anything made from my dies in your household. Unless of course you own a tank, personal carrier or jet, etc.
Regardless, the comparison I believe you were attempting to make is apples to oranges.

I do recall fairly well making my spreader and three others just like it. This was in the year 2004 or so. The reason I know they took about three hours each to make is I had charged (at that time) $110 / hour plus actual material cost. I'd sold the three 'extra" spreaders back then for $400 each. So, three hours at $110 and $70 for material...

If I recall correctly I had used stress proof steel for the "guts" and plain ol' cold rolled tubing for the sleeve.
The sleeve is thick wall (.250"). The ends of the "guts" were milled to make the areas that push directly against the ends of the spring. I'd turned down the threaded portion and cut the threads (1" - 8) in the lathe.
My thinking was one piece was surely stronger than multiple pieces and well, easier to produce.
I did not (obviously) make the wrench.
I did make a number of sleeves so the overall length of the spreader could be changed to accommodate whatever was to be worked on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070702.JPG (154.0 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg P1070703.JPG (146.0 KB, 109 views)
Old 07-12-2021, 09:38 PM   #52
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Lawson. if you are just 1/8" too long, could you just weigh the car down a bit to gain the 1/8"? A couple of people sitting in it would do that or a ratchet strap around the axle and crossmember would pull it down.

Mart.
I got that part solved with a good spreader. My problem is finding the sweet spot to get the bushings out. I've tried 'em all w/o success.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Old 07-13-2021, 05:22 AM   #53
flatmotor40

I just changed all my bushing on my 40 and my Model A with just 2 bottle jacks.I put 1 jack under the side I was doing and the other on the other side of the spring no trouble doing it that way.But I have Posies springs on both cars
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 02:00 PM   #54
dep5

Snap On S9023-2.jpg

My Snap-On version. reversible ratchet portion, stencil says S-9023-2
don't have the C-shaped attachment

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/1898121.pdf

Here is a complete set, photo credit to Garage Journal
Snap On S9023.jpg

Last edited by dep5; 06-18-2022 at 02:12 PM.
dep5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 02:06 PM   #55
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dep5 View Post
Attachment 492202

My Snap-On version. reversible rachet portion S-9023-2
don't have the C-shaped portion

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/1898121.pdf

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 04:08 PM   #56
Lawson Cox

I now have a spreader like that. However, I don't have all of the acuterments it appears. I do not believe mine has a name or number anywhere on it. I'll check closer

I must have forgotten to post that I finally got the bushings installed. Sorry for that. (I'm sure I posted that. It must have been in another thread.

Old 06-18-2022, 04:37 PM   #57
DavidG

The Snap-On spreader in #54 above is clearly is oriented toward Model A rear springs situated directly above the rear axle rather than behind the rear axle. It does not look as safe to use as the later K.R. Wilson version with the safety catches on the ends.

To spread the '32-'34 front springs we made a reduced-size version of the KRW rear spring spreader.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:04 PM   #58
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
The Snap-On spreader in #54 above is clearly is oriented toward Model A rear springs situated directly above the rear axle rather than behind the rear axle.

Model "A" version with spring ABOVE axle, rather than BEHIND it.

Coop/AMERICAN

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:15 PM   #59
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
The Snap-On spreader in #54 above is clearly is oriented toward Model A rear springs situated directly above the rear axle rather than behind the rear axle. It does not look as safe to use as the later K.R. Wilson version with the safety catches on the ends.

To spread the '32-'34 front springs we made a reduced-size version of the KRW rear spring spreader.
David,
Like you, I made an adapter of sorts to R&R the '33 - '34 front springs. I'd also made an adapter to R&R that danged curved rear spring.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:42 PM   #60
larrys40

Quote:
Here are a couple of pictures of the attachment that allows you to remove (or install) the front spring using a KRW spring spreader. Notice how it attaches which causes the overall length of the piece reaching the spring to become reduced. This works very well as most KRW tools do. As mentioned earlier, this is a VERY rare attachment for the KRW spring spreader. I've only seen two in my life.

V8 Fordman, I was lucky enough to find both of these versions and yes, they work well on the front. For someone who needs something available you can use the model a front spring or rear even upside down I believe. I have and use them in A’s all the time but use my kr Wilson rear unit in v8’s. I’m kind of a krw junkie so haven’t passed up too many over the years. Super glad I got them as they have been invaluable.

I didn’t know it till about 6 months ago but there’s a kr wilson Facebook group. You can post out there if you are looking for something. At least it’s a resource.
I think it’s harder to find them now than it was 20 years ago.
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote