Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2019, 08:16 PM   #21
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: Amp test on the generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Did you ask CarQuest how they tested your generator and arrive at 22 amps output ? To test for maximum output the generator needs to be run up in a generator test bench that can rev it up to 3000 RPM plus, with the voltage regulator not connected. To do this the field terminal is connected to the armature terminal with a jumper wire and the battery connected across the armature and ground terminals. You should get 33 amps or more on this test depending on the revs. You could also do this test on the car for a few seconds to prove the generator is up to specs. Maybe CARQUEST ran it up with the regulator connected in the circuit or their test bench electric motor did not have the power to rev the generator hard enough. You need to get the facts. Most automotive generator test benches have a variable speed electric drive motor of at least three horsepower. An auto electrical repair shop would be the best people to do this test, not a spare parts store who may not have the expertise. Regards, Kevin.
Thank you for your reply. He allowed me to go with him to the room to watch as the generator and the regulator were tested separately. I was able to read the gauge on the machine as it was being tested. That is the advantage of going to a small store/shop in a local mountain town. First of all you don't get a kid that was bagging groceries last week and they are very open in what they do. His expertise with classic Fords is quite extensive.

Did you notice his daily summer driver out back of the store:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...4d-105.3362368

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-26-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:56 PM   #22
Tinker

Little less then a fordbarn topic, but when you put a high current/amp sound system (1000w on...(amps x voltage = watts)) in a vehicle, you are best to get a battery that is suitable to the draw. Upping the alternator output (in most cases) is not needed. But it will certainly knock out a regular battery fairly quickly as it can't handle the exchange and it will run your normal alt ragged. If your generator is not at full normal expected capacity, that's not good.

Nice you found a Great place and a goto guy also.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-26-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:14 PM   #23
koates

Yes I read your post above but you really don't know how he tested it. It should do well over 33 amps if tested without the voltage regulator and the test bench motor drives it fast enough. If you dismantle the gen and polish the comm and check brushes etc then that's OK but there may be more problems than that. Some test gear is required to test the armature an field coils. And some experience in this field would be helpful. Yes I did notice his improved model A coupe parked outside his shop, looks good. Good luck with your generator repairs. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:13 AM   #24
rotorwrench

A person should have access to a good growler set and a machine to true up and undercut the mica on the armature if needed. The growler sets usually have the tester for the armature segments built in. A good multi-meter can test the field coils and terminals for good insulation.

My Lincoln Mercury Overhauls Manual for the 49 thru 51 models illustrates the use of the Sun equipment that was used back in the day for all the electrical system tests ans adjustments. I'm sure the later manuals do too. Ford was publishing good manuals in this time frame.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:54 PM   #25
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Yes I read your post above but you really don't know how he tested it. It should do well over 33 amps if tested without the voltage regulator and the test bench motor drives it fast enough. If you dismantle the gen and polish the comm and check brushes etc then that's OK but there may be more problems than that. Some test gear is required to test the armature an field coils. And some experience in this field would be helpful. Yes I did notice his improved model A coupe parked outside his shop, looks good. Good luck with your generator repairs. Regards, Kevin.
Took the generator out, along with the voltage regulator, and took both of them down to D&D Auto Electric, Inc in Wheat Ridge, CO. He put them on his Sun 1600 machine and at 1800 RPS the generator was producing 45+ Amps. The voltage regulator checked out too. No repairs needed, and now I have a new electric shop. My old shop in the city (Denver) folded a few years ago. Thanks again for your direction and guidance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190627_113426.jpg (25.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20190627_113611.jpg (27.3 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-28-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote