Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2020, 05:02 PM   #21
shew01

Default Re: Lost key for 1931 Victoria

I called Dick Crabtree this evening. He's agreeable to selling me a pop-out switch that he can key to the door handle. Thanks for the info everyone!
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #22
shew01

Smile Re: Lost key for 1931 Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
Contact Dick Crabtree. Send him your handle and buy from him a restored Pop-Out ignition switch.

He will key the handle the same as the ignition switch.

This is how the car should be. You will be very pleased.

If you want a repo handle, I have one that I will sell you cheap.

It was on my Vickey when I bought the car. The original handle also came with the car but no key.

I had Dick Crabtree key my original handle to the ignition switch and now I have the car as it should be.

The original handles are much nicer than the repos.

My opinion.

Chris W.
Chris,

I'm still new at the Model A hobby. (I bought my first Model A about 4 months ago.) Before this thread, I had no idea that it was "normal" for the ignition key to be the same key that fits the door.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:29 PM   #23
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
Chris,

I'm still new at the Model A hobby. (I bought my first Model A about 4 months ago.) Before this thread, I had no idea that it was "normal" for the ignition key to be the same key that fits the door.

Thanks for the help.
They are NOT all the same, That is why people should buy the Restoration Guide lines from either National Club.. Your questions asked and answered on your car is in it..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:26 PM   #24
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.M. View Post
They are NOT all the same, That is why people should buy the Restoration Guide lines from either National Club.. Your questions asked and answered on your car is in it..
Is this what you are talking about? https://model-a-ford.org/products-pa...ards-complete/

$15.95 shipping on a $55 book???
Old 01-02-2020, 08:14 PM   #25
F.M.
BANNED

Yes, That is the one.. It is quite big and heavy.. You will enjoy reading over & over..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #26
31Cabriolet68-C

AGREED!
Best investment you can ever make for your Model A... (IMHO!)
TallyHo
John
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:50 PM   #27
CWPASADENA

Vickey's are nice cars, not a whole lot of them made.

When I do a repair on my cars, I try to at the same time correct something that was done incorrectly in the past.

As you get more involved with your car, ask questions. There is a world of good knowledge here on "The Barn".

I am glad I was able to help, let us know how your experience with Dick Crabtree works out.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:54 PM   #28
shew01

Default Lost key for 1931 Victoria

Initially, I was a bit hesitant to call Dick because I had no idea of what to expect from a total stranger. As it turned out, he was quite friendly and very helpful.

Thanks, everyone, for your patience. I have lots to learn about the Model A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2020, 11:38 PM   #29
Dave H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop View Post
For 1931 handle You have to remove the cylinder to see the key number on it, but you need a key to remove it. :-((
Send it to Dick Crabtree
Tedious, but the cylinder can be removed without a key.
To do so clamp the shaft tightly in a vise. The nubs on the shaft must be flattened (don't file them off) with a blunt punch of hardened steel (I made mine from a VW valve stem that lost its head) so as to be able to remove parts including the stainless base with the two mounting holes. The stainless (or chromed) "barrel" will then slide off of your model handle, enabling you to see and be able to depress some of the 5 "wafers" in the cylinder. Those not directly accessible can be depressed with a narrow piece cut from stiff shim stock or tin. It will take some manipulation. With a screwdriver just slightly inside the cylinder key hole, and using a hand held pin vise with a small diameter drill bit reversed in it, press into the "mouse hole" in the cylinder face to clear a stop, and with the wafers positioned right the cylinder can be rotated counter clockwise and will release and can be slid out. The cylinder number will now be visible and a key can be made by code, or by hand fitting.
Reassemble the parts in reverse order and offset the nubs with a punch sufficiently so that they again retain the parts that were removed. Don't be tempted to drill a hole and use a cotter pin instead, it considerably weakens the shaft and can cause it to wring off.
Sometimes I get lucky, with an assortment of original keys about a third of the time I find one that fits and obviates the need for taking the handle apart.

Last edited by Dave H; 01-04-2020 at 07:42 AM.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:06 PM   #30
shew01

Dick Crabtree was able to create a key for my handle, and I received it today.

I’m not having any luck getting the handle mounted in the door again. The square end of the handle won’t go back into the square hole inside the door.

Can anyone offer any tips?

Last edited by shew01; 01-24-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:24 PM   #31
shew01

Wow. The handle FINALLY went back into the door when I manually pressed in on the latch that is on the end of the door.

It seems to be a tight fit. If I snug up the two outside screws on the handle, the fit gets much tighter. If I back off the screws (until they are almost loose), the handle seems to work reasonably well. However, I’m thinking that road vibration will likely cause me to lose the outside screws eventually.

Any ideas?

Last edited by shew01; 01-25-2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:07 AM   #32
shew01

It think I’m past the initial tight fitment issue on the rebuilt door handle. The new keys must have needed “broken in” for the lack of a better phrase. I applied some powered graphite in the key hole and kept working with the keys so that they now lock and unlock without unusual effort.

I’m still a bit concerned about potentially losing the screws that attach the door handle. Is it wise to add thread lock? Or, will that just set me up for problems later?

Old 01-26-2020, 12:37 PM   #33
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

Most locksmiths have an automobile key data base that includes Model A's. I took my door handle lock to a local locksmith, and, based on the lock number, he made me a new key.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:48 PM   #34
shew01

I started out at our area’s best/largest locksmith shop, and, sadly, there is not much demand for Model A keys in my area. A while back, they were able to copy my repro ignition key for me onto an oddball blank, but the original door handle tumbler (is that the correct word?) was rusted solid. And, the repro ignition key that came with the car at purchase didn’t come anywhere close to fitting the door handle. The (different cut) door key was lost by a previous owner before I purchased the car, and I had no way to lock the car.

This forum is where I learned of Dick Crabtree. He is knowledgeable, and he had a quick turnaround. He does good work. He also sold me a rebuilt original ignition switch (that matches the door key) that I’ll need to find time to install. I now have an original handle and an original matching ignition switch. [emoji3]

Old 01-26-2020, 11:51 PM   #35
CWPASADENA

According to your picture of the hole in the door that you insert the door handle into is all buggered up.

I think you have a problem with the door itself and also may be the latch.

It looks like someone has forced the door to open with the door handle in the locked position and messed up the opening in the door.

I can not post pictures or I would take a picture of this area of my Vickey. Send me your Email address or cell phone number and I will see if I can get you a picture and forward it to you.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:23 AM   #36
shew01

Thanks, Chris. I just sent you a PM on this forum.