Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-27-2019, 01:33 AM   #1
mercman from oz

Default 1956 Mercury Rear Brake Hose - need help?

Recently, when in the USA on holidays, I purchased all new parts to do a complete brake job on my 1956 Mercury, including a new Master Cylinder, Wheel Cylinder Cups and Hoses. We dismantled the old brakes, cleaned up the Wheel Cylinders which had been Stainless Steel lined and added the new Cups and Springs. Next, we installed the two new Front Brake Hoses. The last item that we attacked was the Rear Brake Hose, which proved very stubborn to move, however, in the end, we got the old one undone. We attached the male end to the Block on the Diff, and all was OK, until we tried to attach the small Brass male fitting into the hose. After trying for a while, we decided to remove the new Hose for further inspection, and noticed that the "hole" was larger on the old Hose, than on the Replacement Hose. Luckily, there is a good parts supplier in Victoria, and after explaining to him what the problem was, he said that he had the correct part and would send it overnight Express. It arrived on time, and we were able to fit it and complete the Brake Job on my 1956 Mercury.
The three Hoses in the above picture show the original one, as removed from my Mercury. The middle Hose is the one that we sourced locally, while the top one is the one that was supplied by a well know Parts Supplier in the USA. Firstly, you can see that it is longer than the other two, but the length was not the problem? If you check the second picture, you can see that they have different size holes. The one with the larger hose is the correct one for my Mercury.
I particularly stipulated that these parts were for a 1956 Mercury Has anybody else run into the same problem as I did?
Are these Rear Brake Hoses different between the 1956 Ford and 1956 Mercury?
Would love to hear your thoughts on this subject.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:27 AM   #2
54vicky

Default Re: 1956 Mercury Rear Brake Hose - need help?

the one on the right looks like a 1/4'' line a common size on some vehicles I suspect a screw up. have you contacted the dealer?it is too late in your case but it will give them a heads up
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
Oldmics
BANNED

I can confirm that there are different part numbers listed between Ford and Mercury on that hose.

Also different for wagons v/s passenger car.

Oldmics
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
dmsfrr

I had the same thing happen with a replacement fuel line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smaller id fuel line.jpg (34.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-27-2019 at 02:49 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote