Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2018, 12:22 AM   #21
Ed

Smile Re: Yard sale "A" project

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
you will be upside down on this quick. make sure you want to go forward, before you do.

sorry to sound discouraging, but I always look for the path of least resistance.
I completely agree !

You have at least $500.00 in parts in the doors, rear fenders, hood, radiator shell, and frame. Before spending a lot of money on parts for this project, you may want to consult with Brent Terry Restorations about assembling and fitting the wood kits that will be required to restore this. Brent has installed many wood components for Model A’s. He would be a great person to provide a little insight into the details of restoring this car.

While anything can be restored, I personally would never start a restoration on a project like this. Many parts are missing besides the cowl. Door garnish moldings, front seat frame, seat springs, door hinges, door latches and handles, visor, running boards,running board aprons, and headlights, just to name a few. The cost of missing parts along with the cost of the wood kits, Upholstery, top material, glass, and restoration of drive train components will far exceed the value of the completed vehicle.

I am also not trying to discourage you, but I hope you thoroughly estimate the cost of doing a restoration with this project before you commit to doing this. ( my experience has shown that whatever dollar amount you come up with for your estimate, double it)
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:20 AM   #22
juke joint johnny

Default Re: Yard sale "A" project

Those rear fenders look like ones that fit Coupe ,Roadster and pickups .
You might be able to trade them for parts you need
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:44 AM   #23
pooch

Best as garden art.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #24
CT Jack

Brad, Henri's 31 says it best "Sounds like a great project. The way I look at it you can take your time with the restoration. Purchase items as you can. The pleasure is in the adventure, gathering parts, meeting new people, fellowship with others and the pride when you finish."
Locating a cowl should not be a problem as it is not TS specific. A 30 or 31 cowl will work and be correct. Good success with your TS and keep asking questions that's part of the fun.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #25
figment

If you decide to tackle this project be sure to take a lot of photos of your progress over the next few years . If you are going to build it back to original I think it would be easier than what some of the Hot Rod folks start with . I did a early 1930 Briggs 4 door that started in 1978 but it was missing all the roof wood , no hood , no fenders , no seat springs , no upholstery Ect . The car turned out to be excellent . Sorry that I had to sell it as I had 2 kids in college and 2 more to go . I was a lot younger then and I finished it in a little over 2 1/2 years . Norm
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #26
Sunnybrook Farm

It would make a good 5 window pickup cab with some modifications.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:49 PM   #27
Brad1929

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Best as garden art.
Ouch ! ...but I think it already has been "Garden Art" for awhile.
Brad1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:02 PM   #28
Brad1929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
I completely agree !

You have at least $500.00 in parts in the doors, rear fenders, hood, radiator shell, and frame. Before spending a lot of money on parts for this project, you may want to consult with Brent Terry Restorations about assembling and fitting the wood kits that will be required to restore this. Brent has installed many wood components for Model A’s. He would be a great person to provide a little insight into the details of restoring this car.

While anything can be restored, I personally would never start a restoration on a project like this. Many parts are missing besides the cowl. Door garnish moldings, front seat frame, seat springs, door hinges, door latches and handles, visor, running boards,running board aprons, and headlights, just to name a few. The cost of missing parts along with the cost of the wood kits, Upholstery, top material, glass, and restoration of drive train components will far exceed the value of the completed vehicle.

I am also not trying to discourage you, but I hope you thoroughly estimate the cost of doing a restoration with this project before you commit to doing this. ( my experience has shown that whatever dollar amount you come up with for your estimate, double it)

I see how a restoration would cost more than the finished project would be worth.

There is a decent looking 4 door near me that has been looking for a new owner for a long time now...I'd have less money in it and be driving sooner.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:45 PM   #29
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpf240 View Post
Is there a larger version of this picture somewhere?
A lot of people don't care for MAC's but their online catalog has more good info than most Vendors if you know where to look.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...model-a-specs/

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 01-14-2018 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Verbage
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:47 AM   #30
slammin

Brad, I think you will find that a restored car can be purchased for thousands less than the seller has in it. I bought my 29 for less than half the total of receipts the seller gave me for the work done. Granted, I will probably have another 4K in before its finished to my satisfaction, but I'll be thousands ahead. Even with my limited time to work on it, I should be able to complete it in 8 or 9 months. It was driveable when I picked it up, with all the body and paint work finished, and the mechanicals rebuilt. The biggest part of the project is finishing the interior.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #31
ronn

I would sell what you have at a profit and put that money to a good car.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #32
Ed

Berts in Colorado has an early 1930 Murray on there website for $6000.00. It is complete! Runs and drives, and you would still have a lot of fun doing a restoration while still being able to use the car.
www.modelastore.com
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #33
WHN

I have been reading all the posts on this for the last few days.

I think you are asking for members ideas on your purchase. There have been a lot of great comments so far.

My take away from all the reply’s is that unless you see this as a labor of love or just want to show yourself and the rest of us that you can do it. It probably would not be a good idea to move forward with restoration in mind.

There comes a time when antiques just become to far gone or not complete enough to restore. Houses, furniture, cars, whatever.

This body might be a good candidate to become a street rod.

My advice. Take what ever money you were going to spend on this body. Buy a complete car that is in need of work. Than do your thing. Enjoy.
WHN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #34
100IH

Best scenario: complete car with much or most of the work done. Second scenario: mostly complete, need to replace or restore most components. Third scenario: a car from scenario 2 with an identical parts car for $500. As you go through the process you often have the luxury of choosing the best component to invest time and money. Scenario 4: Basket case ( basket 1/4 full) need to find the rest.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #35
Purdy Swoft

The Fordor at Berts would be your best bet in my opinion. You could probably sell some of the 500 dollar parts collection that you have . I agree with Juke joint Johnny , those rear fenders are coupe , roadster and pickup fenders . If the fenders and frame are in good shape you could maybe recover most of your money there . The front fenders also look pretty good . Lots of possibilities . Good luck .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:59 PM   #36
Brad1929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
.... I agree with Juke joint Johnny , those rear fenders are coupe , roadster and pickup fenders .... .
So, the rear fenders I have fit the coupe, roadster, pickup AND 4 door ? ...or do they not go with the parts I have... that is, they don't fit the "car" I have ?

How about the front fenders...are they unique to the 4 door or are they interchangeable with some of the other model A body styles ? I don't have skirts and running boards...are they unique to the 4 door also ?
Old 01-15-2018, 10:14 PM   #37
Purdy Swoft

The rear fenders that fit the coupe, roadster and pick up are wider than the fenders that fit the sedans .The rear fenders in your picture don't appear to be correct for the fordor. The front fenders appear correct for the 31 cars including the fordor. The splash aprons and running boards are the same for all the 31 cars .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:51 PM   #38
Don Turley

Quote:
The rear fenders in your picture don't appear to be correct for the fordor.
In the side view of the car, the rear fenders in the photos have the inner skirt that is typical on sedan fenders, but not on coupe fenders. The way that the rear fenders are leaning against the body, it is difficult to see the width of the top of the fenders. The photo from the rear of the body gives a misleading image of the fenders, making them look wider, like a coupe fender. With a better photo of the rear fenders, away from the body, I expect that we would see that they are sedan fenders. I can't imagine why anyone would attach the inner skirt to a coupe fender, except for a modified car, such as a speedster.
Don Turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:58 PM   #39
Brad1929

Quote:
The rear fenders that fit the coupe, roadster and pick up are wider than the fenders that fit the sedans .The rear fenders in your picture don't appear to be correct for the fordor. The front fenders appear correct for the 31 cars including the fordor. The splash aprons and running boards are the same for all the 31 cars .
OK. Thanks, that helps clarify the situation. So, now I have to decide where to go from here. Thanks to everyone for all the info and comments so far. You guys know your stuff and most of you(ha!) seem very helpful. Model A's are awesome and the Ford Barn forum is too !
Old 01-15-2018, 11:31 PM   #40
1930-Pickup

Hey Brad- You seem like one of the good guys. Whatever you do or end up with, I wish you all the best and lots of fun...and of course, hope to see you on the road soon.