Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2021, 02:53 AM   #1
1949mercury

Default R-10 OD Governor?

Does anyone know where I can buy a 12v Governor for a R-10 OD? My OD works when I first start driving it but after awhile it stops working sometimes it doesn’t work at all. I’m thinking I need a new Governor. Any help is appreciated thank you.
1949mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:44 AM   #2
Mac VP

Default Re: R-10 OD Governor?

We still have some NOS governors if you need one. However, let me point out a couple details. First, the governor is not voltage sensitive.....in other words there is no 6 or 12 volt governor. It’s a simple centrifugal switch that is normally open. It also doesn’t fade under warm conditions. It either works or doesn’t.

Generally, the symptom you’ve described is a heat related problem with the solenoid. Or a marginal ground quality in the overdrive wiring and physical conductivity of the various metal parts that help complete the grounding circuit. Before spending the money for a new solenoid, try checking each wire connection in the overdrive circuits for good clean and tight connections. Make sure that the two solenoid bolts are tight. It never hurts to add a ground strap from one of the two solenoid bolts to a nearby body surface. Keep this in mind....both the governor and the solenoid require a good ground in order to operate the system properly. That ground runs through the transmission tail housing to the gearbox, to the bell housing, to the engine block, and then through a ground strap to.....the body. See why the extra ground strap could help?

Obviously we sell all of these items but you may not need to replace the electric components. Check all of these things out before you spend your money.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:25 AM   #3
1949mercury

Everything is fairly new. Just put a new 12v solenoid in have checked all the wiring. I don’t have a extra ground strap. One thing that was happening is 2nd gear OD wouldn’t work & 3rd gear would. Also I can’t hear the click in the relay at 27mph so I give it some gas and shift at 30 mph or higher if I try & just drive smooth it doesn’t like to work. Only thing I haven’t replaced is the governor.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:39 AM   #4
Frank Miller

It is probably not the governor. Just because something is brand new does not mean it performs properly. Do you have a reverse lockout switch? Those are not replaced but eliminated from the circuit per Ford.
When you feel the unit is not working then ground the terminal on your relay that goes to the kickdown switch. If it is still not working then it is the relay or the solenoid.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
Ken Henry

The governor provides a path to ground along with the lockout switch and kick-down switch in series. When all of these are closed, the relay energizes and tries to engage the overdrive solenoid. For troubleshooting, see if grounding the relay with your own added wire engages the solenoid. You can run a wire from the relay terminal into the driver's seat with you and ground that at various speeds and in different gears to see if the solenoid and relay are reliable. Ken
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:01 AM   #6
1949mercury

I don’t think I have a lockout switch because I don’t know what that is.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:46 AM   #7
Ken Henry

6917 on the schematic. On the driver's side across from the governor. This is from the 49-50 Mercury schematic on van Pelt's website

Old 04-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #8
Ken Henry

Sorry, that is the Ford overdrive. The Mercury overdrive might or might not have one, I have a Ford. In fact, I don't see one of their schematic for the 49-50 Mercury overdrive.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:32 AM   #9
1949mercury

I know what you are talking about know. I have a block off plate on mine. So I don’t have one.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:39 PM   #10
Automotive Stud

The reproduction solenoids are junk, I had one in my car and I didn't get a summer out of it. I started scouring NOS Delco solenoids and now have those with no issues in two cars.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:18 AM   #11
1949mercury

Got it fixed yesterday. It was a loose terminal on the OD kick down switch.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:39 AM   #12
Mac VP

Thank you for updating the thread on the solution. This is generally one of my first pieces of advice for non-functioning overdrive issues. It’s pretty easy to do, yet people tend to focus on one of the components of the system rather than checking the wiring and terminal connections. I’m glad it was a low cost solution for you.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:42 PM   #13
1949mercury

Yeah,thank you. The wires were tight, it’s a new part but when I was checking it out I noticed one terminal the wire connects to was wiggling so I figured it was worth a shot at $30 to get a new one. Explains why it worked sometimes but not all the time.