Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
shiftybusiness3

Default Mitchell transmission & overdrive swap

I have a 1929 Roadster that has a Mitchell synchromesh transmission along with a Mitchell overdrive unit. I also have a 1931 Pick-up truck with the standard/stock running gear. My question is: Can I transfer/swap the 1929 transmission and overdrive into the truck...and the standard 1931 truck running gear into the 1929 Roadster? Are the two vehicle years compatible or will I need additional parts or ? How hard would the swap be to make? I would like to sell the Roadster and make the truck more 'user-friendly'. Thanks a bunch.
shiftybusiness3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: Mitchell transmission & overdrive swap

You can do it, we have done it several times. it is all interchangeable. The only thing you have to consider is the U-joint housing. The Mitchell transmission in your 29 has a rear bearing retainer on it that matches the U-joint housing. The early cars had a bearing retainer with off-set bolt holes. The later are symmetrical. Move the U-joint housing with the Mitchell and you will be ok.

The Mitchell overdrive configuration is the same for a 31 pick up and a 29 roadster.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:46 AM   #3
shiftybusiness3

Thank you, Tom.
shiftybusiness3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:07 AM   #4
larrys40

agree with Tom but with a caveat that if both have stock engine mounts great, hopefully they do as the float a motor mounts may have the rear mount attached to the u-joint cap , also the early u-joint housings may have a lip on them. If that's the case on the 29 I would be inclined to keep the u-joint housing (both halves) with the 29 and in that case you would be removing the rear trans bearing retainers.
Also, don't get parts mixed up on rear spring hanger clamps as the roadster is thicker than the pickup or should be as it only has a 7 leaf spring.

If you keep the springs in and just change rear axle you will of course need a spring spreader to do that keeping the springs in place and just changing the rear axle which is the safest way. If you have availability for two rear spring spreaders it will make the job a little easier as you can keep them spread while making the swap/

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote