Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
Mike

Default Confused - turn signals

I have 5 Model A Fords to install turn signals this year my problem is which type to go with. I know each person does not want the signal stat on the column, they all like the switch under the dash rail. Each owner wants the best quality set up, any help would be appreciated !

1st
2nd
3rd

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Confused - turn signals

I have installed some of the Snyder`s turn signal units with the little switch under the dash and I ordered the wire loom from them with the turn signal wiring included in the loom. I will be installing one in my Victoria shortly. it is a lot of money but I like to have it as close to stock looking as I can.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
foxfire42

I love the Logo Lites but the cost (for me) is hard to justify. ($190 to $199) Very simple installation. My Delivery is hard to see out to change lanes so I can now give plenty of advance notice over my invisable arm out the drivers window.
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
Pat Martone

After much research, I got the Logolites system.
I have no regrets; it is a well designed product, and I especially like the 4-way flasher feature.
I got it from Snyder's but they also have a website: logolites.com
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
1930pu

I have the ticken thru time setup, tiny toggle on the gearshift and the little brain box under the seat very easy to hookup, interupts the brake light. About 150.00 at Snyders have them on my 1930rpu and my 1937 sedan. I really like them.
1930pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #6
Pete

The turn signal mod I have done on several A's involves a lot of modification usually involving a steering box change to an F100. It depends on what features the customer wants.
The simplest conversion gets rid of the throttle and spark rods. This usually goes with ignition and carb changes.
On one I did, everything original (spark & throttle rods & light switch) was retained but it used the upper portion of the F100 column so as to have just the turn signal handle showing and have the self cancelling feature.
These conversions used the original tail lights with 32/50 bulbs in them and the cowl lights for the front turn and parking lights.
Everything looks stock when done.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #7
whirnot

FWIW, I used to have the under the dash style and changed it for a Signal stat. I like it better.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #8
Willie Krash

I like my logolites too. The cost isn't that bad as you get it all, including the wire. Individually that stuff adds up.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

Dog here,
Sum ur wurried thet the old Signal Stat looks UGLY! Better wurry about yo' own FACE, hev you looked in a MIRROR lately? With yo' GLASSES ON??
Buster T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UGLY TWINS.jpg (7.8 KB, 75 views)
Old 01-20-2014, 12:01 AM   #10
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Mike,

For "permanent" Model A turn signals, I find my "Logo Lite" signal lights work well & are very functional.

I did add a few features to same:

1. It may be more expensive, but I ran the front & rear Logo Lite wires in continuous small vintage protective wire looms sold by Model A vendors so that these small wires could not get damaged from flying highway gravel & debris -- our old boat trailer wires used to take a beating on gravel roads years ago accompanied by wires whipping in high winds.

2. Because the small Logo Lite green buttons on the Control Panel are difficult for one to "see" & find immediately on dark days or at night, under the dash on the Drivers Side, I installed a hidden toggle switch wired to a small, hidden 12 volt marker light equipped with a 6V "Wedge Style" light bulb listed in Mac's Catalog under light bulbs as part no. 13466-0147.

3. I painted this light bulb with a thin coat of red fingernail polish sold at Wal-Mart, so when lit, it does not ruin one's night vision at night. Works great for night driving.

4. I positioned the actual turn signals so they point directly fore & aft as opposed to pointing more outwards to fit the curves in the front & rear bumpers.

5. Try standing about 100 feet out front and in the rear at night while operating turn signals -- because LED's are directional, the ones pointing straight forward or straight rearward are much more visible from a distance.

6. I hear Logo Lite upgrades are available for their older models previously sold, but I have not yet investigated same.

7. Another good feature is that the Logo Lite turn signal lights are positioned on bumpers out in front of the front head lights & out behind the rear tail lights & are also mounted at a level further down low, which allows them to be easily seen as a forward, out-front type light element.

8. Ran all (4) Logo Lite wires & Town Sedan cowl light wires through the hard to find small sheet metal crevice opening left of clutch pedal, & continued running all wires behind driver's side kick panel prior to connecting same to the Logo Lite Control Panel mounted on the gas tank with a magnet.

9. Do it right .......... do it once & forget about it.

Hope this helps anybody who wants to consider Logo Lites.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-20-2014 at 12:10 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:02 AM   #11
DougVieyra

If cost is a concern, there is a way to have both an original signaling system - AND keeping it looking fairly original - at vertually NO COST ! I have been using these signals in all of my antique cars (including Ford Model As) for over fifty years and I can assure they work fairly well - not so much at night, however.

Our California Department of Motor Vehicles has a section in their Driver's Booklet, on how this system works. It should be faily close in other states as well.

When needing to make a 'Left Turn', the driver simply sticks his arm out the drivers window and leaves his arm fully extended straight out.

When making a 'Right Turn', he simply sticks his arm out with a 90 degree up-ward angle.

When wanting to signal a stopping action - the driver extends his arm out with a 90 degree downward angle.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:18 AM   #12
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
If cost is a concern, there is a way to have both an original signaling system - AND keeping it looking fairly original - at vertually NO COST ! I have been using these signals in all of my antique cars (including Ford Model As) for over fifty years and I can assure they work fairly well - not so much at night, however.

Our California Department of Motor Vehicles has a section in their Driver's Booklet, on how this system works. It should be faily close in other states as well.

When needing to make a 'Left Turn', the driver simply sticks his arm out the drivers window and leaves his arm fully extended straight out.

When making a 'Right Turn', he simply sticks his arm out with a 90 degree up-ward angle.

When wanting to signal a stopping action - the driver extends his arm out with a 90 degree downward angle.
That's a really good one, Doug! .......

(I stole those guys from Brent.)

Take a random poll of drivers under 30 and see how many of them know what those signals mean...

Most think you are waving "hello" to them and start waving back.

And, as you say, they really don't work well at night.

Last edited by Jim/TX/GA; 01-20-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:06 AM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Mike,

FWIW:

Not to offend anybody, but I was a passenger in a minor wreck which happened years ago as follows:

1. A senior sober farmer driving in front of us on a gravel road had an old pickup with non-functioning turn signals.

2. In knowing his turn signals did not work he stuck out his left arm to make a left turn into a vintage rural Grocery/Bar to get a few drinks.

3. In his knowing turn signals were more or less outdated, he tried desperately wiggling & waving his hand & fingers to get increased attention from the driver behind.

4. I told the driver, "Watch out, he's turning!", whereby the driver ignored me, tried to pass the truck, & replied, "He's just waving at the people on the front porch of the Grocery."

4. At the last minute, the farmer made a quick 90 degree turn to the left -- we crashed into him going about 35 mph on this gravel road -- both vehicle were totaled ...... no seat belts back then -- bruises, but thankfully no bleeding.

5. Driver called his rural insurance person first who advised not to call deputies because the driver was in the wrong & his insurance would have to pay for repairs anyway.

6. Best part was the old truck driver got several free whiskey drinks to calm him down before his son came to pick him up; & our local church organ player lived next door to the bar & she invited us youngsters to come in her house to drink a few whiskey highballs before the driver's Dad came to pick us up.

7. When the driver's Dad came, (a WWI veteran) & heard his son's story, he had one bit of advice: "Son, never try to pass somebody waving at his friends!"

8. In todays faster moving traffic on hard surfaced highways, with outdated vintage hand signals, we may not be here today to relate such an experience.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-20-2014 at 01:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-20-2014, 02:16 AM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

Arm signals DO WORK! I just signaled a LEFT turn in the hall, & the Dog beat me to the BED!!
Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DOG SLEEPING.jpg (6.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DOG SLEEPING CARTOON.jpg (11.7 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 01-20-2014 at 02:27 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:28 AM   #15
CarlG

I am using the SignalStat 900 unit that I got from Sacramento Vintage. They modify and wire their units specifically for Model A's. The wiring is "authentic" looking in cloth covered wire harnesses. Has worked flawlessly for the last 4 years. I use the regular Model A tail lights with LED lenses from Mike's, and in front I have dual filament bulbs in the cowl lights -- regular clear lenses. I have no problem with people being able to see the signals, and the SignalStat is a period correct accessory for Model A's. Others tell me that my lights are much more visible than the Logo Lights or other varieties of "between the bumper" lights.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:37 AM   #16
Mitch//pa
BANNED

hey mike are you still confused

i run hand signals

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-20-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #17
Lew

I've had turn signals on every Model A I've owned since 1967, and what I feel works best is using the turn signals along with hand signals when traffic is heavy. I think hand signals in themselves are not as effective, and turn lights alone just need a little extra help.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #18
Mike

Thank you all for your thoughts ! I should have stated these people are not concern about money they just want the best quality system.
I am leaning toward using the cowl lights & tail light set up. On the 29 pick up using logo liters and the l.e.d. Light in the back window

Thank you,
Michael
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #19
Growley bear

Logo Lites
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #20
H. L. Chauvin

Mike,

FWIW, for each individual customer's different choice(s), if you are trying to have satisfied customers, please remember:

1. Some hunters like to hunt with an over & under, some prefer pump guns, some double barrels, some semi-automatic, some single shot, & some like only cameras.

2. Then add to that, different gun brand choices, different gun gauges, different gun chokes, difference sizes & weights of shot in shells.

3. Also is desired length of trigger pull, gun pitch & drop, cast on or off, etc.

4. If cost is not factor, & satisfied customers are important, you may want to ask each person what does he or she want, unless you have enough time on your hands to install a few turn signal kits twice or more because your customers cannot make up their minds.

5. A last emotional wild choice for a Model A owner who is thoroughly confused may be to resort to suggesting "NO" turn signals accompanied with a minimum $5,000,000.00 Umbrella Insurance Policy, with at least one (1) Fire extinguisher & two (2) First Aid Kits under the front seat.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-20-2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo