Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #81
glennpm

Default Re: LED Headlights

Hi,

I bought and installed the Sealight HB5 9007 LEDs in place of my quartz halogens yesterday in my 1932. Great light and cut off. No flicker and instant high/Low light change without delay. I checked them within my garage for the cutoff. I don't drive the 32 at night but will give it a try. I wanted them for daytime visibility and less amperage than the quartz.

The instructions included were lacking but found a video online after the fact.
https%3A%2F%2Fd2y5sgsy8bbmb8.cloudfront.net%2F96dd 950b-5527-4c2a-9849-903daac12174%2Fdefault.jobtemplate.mp4.480.mp4.mp4

Glad I made the switch to LEDs.

Last edited by glennpm; 08-12-2019 at 10:55 AM. Reason: specified year of my car, 1932
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #82
History

I read on this forum that the headlight reproduction reflectors aren't shaped as the originals??? My (I ASSume) original reflectors need replaced as they are not very shiny and have corrosion on them that I do not believe will clean up.

What/where should I purchase replacement reflectors.

I believe I will also go with led lights. I'll re read the thread but I'm 6 volt, what's the best led setup????
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #83
glennpm

I don't have answers for the best replacement reflectors, perhaps Bratton's? With the stock bulb socket, you want to look at Logo Lites, http://www.logolites.com/.

Glenn
Old 08-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #84
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
I read on this forum that the headlight reproduction reflectors aren't shaped as the originals??? My (I ASSume) original reflectors need replaced as they are not very shiny and have corrosion on them that I do not believe will clean up.

What/where should I purchase replacement reflectors.

I believe I will also go with led lights. I'll re read the thread but I'm 6 volt, what's the best led setup????
You can clean the silver oxide off your originals with salt and vinegar. If there's not much brass showing through you can resurface them with a rub-on product like this -
https://medallioncare.com/product/me...liquid-silver/

It tends to combine with the brass and discolors the silver, but isn't too noticeable if only 10% or so. If more than that, you can nickel plate over the brass (not hard) before you apply the solution.

Of course the sane thing to do is buy new aluminized reflectors from Bratton's - Mac's and Snyder's sell the same thing. They all sell the Logo lights too, I believe.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #85
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
Of course the sane thing to do is buy new aluminized reflectors from Bratton's - Mac's and Snyder's sell the same thing. They all sell the Logo lights too, I believe.

If you do buy new, make sure to look for the correct reflectors that Bratton's developed as some vendors do still carry the incorrectly shaped ones. However, this doesn't matter as much with the LEDs as they really can't be focused properly.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #86
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
If you do buy new, make sure to look for the correct reflectors that Bratton's developed as some vendors do still carry the incorrectly shaped ones. However, this doesn't matter as much with the LEDs as they really can't be focused properly.

I guess this one is one I'm still having an 'understanding issue'. I liken this to someone who is using a rifle at target practice telling someone you can't accurately hit the target with a machine gun because they cannot mount a scope onto their machine gun.

The same applies to these bulbs. With a single filament incandescent bulb, you need to be able to focus the bulb to throw the one light beam the furthest. With a LED bulb that has multiple diodes throwing light beams at the reflector in multiple angles, there is not a need in focusing. All you need to do is aim the headlight to keep it out of oncoming driver's eyes, and the LEDs fill in with more lumens and greater distance. Ultimately, the goal of the headlight is to provide as much usable light as possible without blinding oncoming motorists. From my experience with using the LEDs, they perform this goal well.

One other topic to discuss, ...people keep mentioning using the Bratton Reflectors. While that is what I happen to be using also, I am beginning to question if it is the shape of the reflector that makes the LED's work well, -or whether its is Uvira's aluminized coating that makes them project light well. I personally believe it is the Uvira coating or the electroplated Silver when used with the LEDs, -and not the parabolic shape. If someone is using the single filament bulb that needs to be focused, then I do think the reflector shape matters.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:49 PM   #87
Conaway2

Glenpm - sorry it’s taken me this long to respond. I snapped a pic tonight while driving - sorry it’s not sharper, but the LogoLites LEDs put out a lot of light. Huge improvement over the original style bulbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2D9B8A12-8BED-4A5C-85AA-5C00870CFE7D.jpg (39.4 KB, 82 views)
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #88
Garagekulture13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaway2 View Post
Glenpm - sorry it’s taken me this long to respond. I snapped a pic tonight while driving - sorry it’s not sharper, but the LogoLites LEDs put out a lot of light. Huge improvement over the original style bulbs.
Looks great!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Garagekulture13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:35 PM   #89
Bill G

oops I replied to an old post in error.. disregard
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #90
glennpm

Quote:
Thank you, they look great!

Glenn
Old 03-11-2021, 02:08 AM   #91
bt34

Hi all.

As it is now March 2021 what is the latest news on Model A headlights.
I have 12volt system with an alternator.
At the moment I have 32/50 bulbs with new Synders reflectors and also a set of Halogen bulbs with matching reflectors.
What do you guys recommend.

Cheers
bt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:02 AM   #92
jak

These are now offered in positive and negative ground. I know that Bratton's has the negative ground led bulbs in stock #17795
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:25 AM   #93
Badpuppy

bt34 - With a 12V alternator, you have sufficient output capacity for any bulb type. Halogens are brighter than incandescents but use more power. LEDs use very little power and are brighter still, so you're less likely to overdrive your headlights at higher speeds. Best choice depends on how you drive.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:15 PM   #94
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
REALLY lets see you top this on a 6 volt standard bulb.. I can light my backyard with the LED but NOT Focus it or aim it at all in anyway....This was taken at 4:30 am on a very dark street...Note the light focused and aimed as per the FORD Service bulletins.. This is also the dim setting.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Standard bulbs.jpg (20.1 KB, 51 views)
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #95
glennpm

No problem Mark. there are so many finished threads so good closure.

Your beam pattern and depth look excellent. Couldn't ask for better than that!
I'm very happy with my "Sealight HB5 9007 LEDs". Excellent daytime visibility. They see me!

Glenn
Old 03-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #96
Gene F

Maron just to be clear:
Your photo shows the $2 bulbs we have been using for years, clean reflectors, aimed and focused as directed in the service bulletins, on low beam, right?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:12 PM   #97
Joe K

I Googled "Model A LED Bulbs" after reading the May-June 2022 "Restorer" Magazine article about a competition between original and LED bulb types.

This thread came to the top of the Google search.

Recommend anyone to read the article which addresses quite well the light patterns and comparison.

I was surprised to learn that the "focused" LED bulbs (www.logolites.com) DOES NOT REQUIRE A REFLECTOR - and will work equally well with or without. This LED bulb was declared "winner" of the lighting competition.

Not as reasonably priced as some have indicated above, at $50 each they may be your solution to your lighting AND reflector problems.

Joe K
Old 05-16-2022, 01:52 PM   #98
Keith True

I've tried all the LED headlights I could find as they came out.A couple of years ago I got the info for some from Australia,and while they were pricey,my friend wanted to try them.He loves them.I tried some others that weren't worth the postage.I had a low mile A with pristine reflectors,and nice vintage bulbs.Those were the best original style lights I've ever seen on an A.I could see reflective things almost a half mile away.If I turned the focus screw an eighth of a turn you see the focus change.Now I bought a set of the new Logolites LED's,put them in,and tried them for about 20 minutes.Then I went in the house and ordered two more sets.They delineate things close up that the stock bulbs don't.I can clearly see the deer and bears crossing the road,with the old lights they just kind of blend in with the background.I can see no reason to go back to oxcart lights.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:22 PM   #99
ndnchf

I installed the Logolites focused beam bulbs a couple weeks ago. I think they are great. Using these and LED tail lights, I run the original cutout and generator with 3rd brush set to its lowest output position. With the lights on, I still get a slight positive charge on the ammeter. I'm very happy with them.
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:13 PM   #100
Keith True

I think a lot of people get hung up on the fact you can't focus.You do NOT focus forward firing LED's.The same idea as not trying to focus a sealed beam headlight bulb.They are focused,you just aim them.With bulbs and reflectors the light bounces off the reflectors,and you adjust the bulb in and out to toss that light out into a point.With the forward firing LED's the only thing you do is to adjust the levelness of the beams.That is done by loosening two little allen screws and twisting the bulb until the stripe is on the top.That will make your beams levelIf your sockets are twisted,or your headlights are canted,if you set that stripe on the top your beams will be dead level.Your reflectors do not come into play at all,except,as a thing to hold the sockets.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote