Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #1
B-O-B

Default Never know what is next

I had an extreme wakeup call on Oct 4th. I came in from working on the car Delete repeated word getting, it ready to head south, when I told Peggy that I wasn't feeling up to par. Within minutes I went into a severe pain in my stomach area & went into shock. Peggy dialed 911 & the ambulance crew took me to the hospital. They took a CS & determined that I had a dead bowel, read dying here, So they loaded me in the ambulance again & transported me to Boise. The Dr. spent about an hour on me & had all my bowels out but could find nothing wrong. He stitched me up with 30 staples & I spent the week in the hospital. Never did find the cause of the severe pain. While their I had a lot of time to reflect on my life & determined that the things I thought were so important to me were not all that important at all. My wife ,family & friends come first & of course my health. The rest is just icing on the cake.
Peggy & I have traveled on 85,000 miles across this country & border to border & Canada in the 32 roadster meeting many good friends along the way. We have had a wonderful life hunting, fishing & touring in our classic cars. In Dec we will celebrate being married 45 years.
My advice to all here is get your ducks in a row as is always said, YOU never know what tomorrow will bring". Get your bucket list in order & work on checking the things off that are near & dear to you.
I'm 83 & the Doc said I'm in really good health & can expect at least another 3 years barring an accident.
SO boys & girls step back take a good look in the mirror get your priority's in order & "GIT er DUN".
Burn Out Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg latest roadster.jpg (68.7 KB, 96 views)
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
roadster36
BANNED

Default Re: Never know what is next

Glad you are OK now. Thanks for the wake-up call.
I have had 6 friends/relatives pass in the last few months. It is hard to answer the phone these days.
Hope you make it to 100 and beyond
-Dennis
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:31 PM   #3
40cpe

Glad you are better and have your priorities in order.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #4
Talkwrench

Wow they ripped your guts out had a peekaboo and threw it all back in and said "she'll be right mate!" Pfft?? Very lucky ! I think you'll kick on for a bit longer ; ) .. Funny isn't it everyday life has us getting angry about things that are so unimportant, enjoy life. God knows I came too close to going a few years back..
Go well Bob.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:47 PM   #5
petehoovie

A "dead bowel"???....Can't be any worse than our next President....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #6
37 Cab

Glad you are ok and thanks for the wake up call.. We get too wrapped up in everyday life sometimes and lose sight of the things that mean the most to us.
On another note.. Doctors are PRACTICING medicine.. Funny how Mechanics don`t get the same benefits a doctor does.. Can you imagine taking your car in for a problem and the mechanic says it is serious, possibly terminal, so he takes your engine out.. takes it all apart and finds nothing wrong... puts it all back together and says hmm.. didn`t find a thing.. here is your bill.. What would you tell him?

Hope that made you smile. Prayers for your complete recovery.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
Mike in AZ

good news, B-O-B.....gotta watch that Mexican food....lol....keep on healing.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #8
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. Hey B-O-B, I never caught that your handle was so cool. Nice. You give some very wise advice!

October 4 was deusy here too. I just bought my second ten-day pass to the parking garage at a DC hospital. Things are looking up but bridges to cross ahead.

Hug the ones you value and love!

Keep 911 ready to dial quickly!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #9
Craig CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B View Post
I had an extreme wakeup call on Oct 4th. I came in from working on the car Delete repeated word getting, it ready to head south, when I told Peggy that I wasn't feeling up to par. Within minutes I went into a severe pain in my stomach area & went into shock. Peggy dialed 911 & the ambulance crew took me to the hospital. They took a CS & determined that I had a dead bowel, read dying here, So they loaded me in the ambulance again & transported me to Boise. The Dr. spent about an hour on me & had all my bowels out but could find nothing wrong. He stitched me up with 30 staples & I spent the week in the hospital. Never did find the cause of the severe pain. While their I had a lot of time to reflect on my life & determined that the things I thought were so important to me were not all that important at all. My wife ,family & friends come first & of course my health. The rest is just icing on the cake.
Peggy & I have traveled on 85,000 miles across this country & border to border & Canada in the 32 roadster meeting many good friends along the way. We have had a wonderful life hunting, fishing & touring in our classic cars. In Dec we will celebrate being married 45 years.
My advice to all here is get your ducks in a row as is always said, YOU never know what tomorrow will bring". Get your bucket list in order & work on checking the things off that are near & dear to you.
I'm 83 & the Doc said I'm in really good health & can expect at least another 3 years barring an accident.
SO boys & girls step back take a good look in the mirror get your priority's in order & "GIT er DUN".
Burn Out Bob
Hi BOB; I'm very glad you're OK. Your story reminds me of an old joke about a guy that goes through a lot and in the end he finds out his underwear was too tight. Could it have been a slingshot kick back? I hope my comments gave you a smile. I'm lucky to call you my friend, Craig.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #10
Binx

B-O-B, go easy on the cheese and have oatmeal every morning. Forget that doctor said 3yrs. That's BS. You decide when your time is up and get busy living!!

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:07 AM   #11
40 FourDrDlx

Best wishes B-O-B, hope to see you in AZ. this winter.
Bob
40 FourDrDlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:56 AM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Bob, thank you for the update on your condition and the good advice. Glad to hear you are okay. Life is short so enjoy every minute of it that's possible.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:21 AM   #13
19Fordy

petehoovie: DELETE your post or it will be toasted by the moderator.
Politics and old Fords don't mix.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:26 AM   #14
zzlegend

Get well soon Bob. Mark.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #15
deuce_roadster

Get better and get back at it.
I had a near death experience in 2005. What it taught me was there are 2 kinds of problems--Life and death-and everything else. If it isn't a life and death problem it is just something that CAN be dealt with. These kinds of things do set your priorities in order.
Hope the origin of your issue is found and taken care of.
deuce_roadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #16
Steves46

B-O-B, I hope that you are feeling better and thank you for sharing your thoughts. The are no promises in life and I try to count my blessings everyday. Steve
Old 10-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #17
Newc

Hi; I hope not to offend, But All of us should think of the Clubs, RG's, foundations ect. that have supported us in this Hobby. A dispersal in our estate planning will always be welcome to these organizations. Many RGs have a bank account of less than $1000 and can not even afford a news letter. Mine is generous to two RGs locally in Oregon. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #18
Vic Piano

Hang in there Bob, there are a lot more roads for you and Peggy to travel.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #19
Ben38

Bob, I hope you feel better soon.

My Dad is 84 and with arthritis is having more and more difficulty getting around. In spite this his favorite saying is "IGNB" (I got no bitch), with the good life, wife and family he has had.
Ben38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:53 AM   #20
Paul Bennett

Diverticulitis - surprised you're doc didn't know. Hope to meet and not discuss health issues. I'm about ur age and hate those health talks. Abt the 3 yrs, that's ridiculous as 13 is more likely statistically. I would suggest changing your diet tho, zero glutens, sugar and milk products. So, my final word is to super-appreciate your wife and she you. Lost mine 2 yrs back (54 yrs together) and it turns traveling into crapola. Take care and ... say, you know Rich in LaGrande? Gotta do a picnic.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote