Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2020, 10:47 PM   #1
tommyleea

Default valve cover gaskets

272 Y block...Ordered new valve cover gaskets, and the ones I received have tabs on them. My valve covers don't have any cutouts for the tabs. Do I just trim the tabs off, and why would they be there? Thanks
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:15 PM   #2
fordor41

Default Re: valve cover gaskets

just trim the tabs. most sheet metal valve covers have slots in the outer edge to lock the gasket in place.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:33 PM   #3
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
just trim the tabs. most sheet metal valve covers have slots in the outer edge to lock the gasket in place.
Ok..Thanks..I thought mine might have the slots, but they are just smooth edges. Thanks again..
Old 02-04-2020, 03:44 AM   #4
Daves55Sedan

All the repro parts suppliers are now discontinuing the plain valve cover gaskets without the tabs. They are now only supplying the truck valve cover gaskets which do have the tabs.
In the last 3 decades, both types were included in a full engine gasket set, but not anymore.
They expect you to get an Exacto-knife and cut the tabs off if you are using them for a car.
Same thing with carburetor rebuild kits. They are no longer supplying the 1954/1955 Ford EBU/Holley 2100 intake manifold gasket, only the 1956 ECG carb manifold gasket. No hole punching or cutting is required here though, but the gasket sticks out a little more in the back (and the venturi holes are larger than they should be for use with an EBU).
You can expect to see many more things going this way in the future, as the manufacturers cut costs while raising retail prices.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
tommyleea

[QUOTE=Daves55Sedan;1848379]All the repro parts suppliers are now discontinuing the plain valve cover gaskets without the tabs. They are now only supplying the truck valve cover gaskets which do have the tabs.
In the last 3 decades, both types were included in a full engine gasket set, but not anymore.
They expect you to get an Exacto-knife and cut the tabs off if you are using them for a car.

Thanks for the info..Another indication that I have a car engine in my truck!
Old 02-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #6
TedEaton

Actually the 1954 thru 1959 valve cover gaskets do not have the tabs whether its a car or truck. Starting in 1960, the Ford Y covers be it a car or truck started using the tabbed valve cover gaskets. As a general rule, if the tin covers are plain, they are non-tabbed. If the covers have 'FORD' on them, they are tabbed. Ted Eaton.
TedEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #7
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: valve cover gaskets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedEaton View Post

As a general rule, if the tin covers are plain, they are non-tabbed. If the covers have 'FORD' on them, they are tabbed.

Ted Eaton.

... I did not know that ...

First learned factoid of the day ... THANX!

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:34 PM   #8
Alaska Jim

The last gasket set we got recently had 2 sets of Valve cover gaskets. a thick set with no tabs for the Aluminum bird covers and a set of thinner ones with tabs for the sheet metal covers.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:20 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Post Re: valve cover gaskets

Try here for a gasket source - https://bestgasket.com/

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 02-05-2020, 10:16 AM   #10
tommyleea

I ordered mine from Dennis Carpenter. I ordered them for a 55 Ford F100 V8.
B4AZ-6A506-A is the part number, and they came in original Ford packaging. I was quite impressed.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #11
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: valve cover gaskets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedEaton View Post

Actually the 1954 thru 1959 valve cover gaskets do not have the tabs whether its a car or truck.

Starting in 1960, the Ford Y covers be it a car or truck started using the tabbed valve cover gaskets. As a general rule, if the tin covers are plain, they are non-tabbed. If the covers have 'FORD' on them, they are tabbed.

Ted Eaton.
It's fascinating what little obscure factoids you can pickup following some of these forums.

Shown below -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VALVE COVER GASKETS - 1960-62 FYB.jpg (48.7 KB, 14 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 02-05-2020, 06:26 PM   #12
Daves55Sedan

If you look at the bottom of one of the older Ford valve covers, you will notice that there is a metal ring resistance welded to the inside and it sticks down a little way so that the ring holds the inside of the gasket from protruding into the valve chamber, missing the gasket surface altogether.
Not sure if the newer ones had the ring, maybe they deleted it, but it appears that the original design of the tabbed gaskets was also to keep the gaskets properly aligned within the mating gasket surfaces.
I have only seen the tabbed gaskets in F100 pickups, but never paid much attention to car engine details after the '59 model year.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote