Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2019, 10:01 PM   #1
Cool Hand Lurker

Default Sticking windows

I had new glass put in my 47 Ford Coupe along with new channel linings. The windows in the doors worked smooth at first but after awhile they became hard to crank up. Then one of them cracked. They seemed to be jamming between the door panel and the inner window trim pieces as they came up out of the door. Is there an adjustment inside the door to align the path of the window?
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
Cool Hand Lurker

Default Re: Sticking windows

Hello
Anybody out there?
Old 08-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #3
Shu47

Sorry I don't have an answer for you but didn't want you to feel alone.
Shu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Lurker View Post
I had new glass put in my 47 Ford Coupe along with new channel linings. The windows in the doors worked smooth at first but after awhile they became hard to crank up. Then one of them cracked. They seemed to be jamming between the door panel and the inner window trim pieces as they came up out of the door. Is there an adjustment inside the door to align the path of the window?
Since you had new glass instilled it's possible it was not exactly where the old glass in the channel. Try moving your regulator left or right and see if it improves. Mark
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #5
fordwife

If the problem seems to be in the window trim try loosening the screws in the trim and see if It makes a difference. Since it worked well at first, I'm inclined to think there may be a problem in the cranking or lifting mechanism.
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:52 AM   #6
FortyNiner

Quote:
Um, the channels align the glass path. I would remove any panels on the door so you can see the regulator work. The problem and fix usually are quickly obvious.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:34 AM   #7
34PKUP

Quote:
If as you say you "had" new glass put in, why don't you return to the installer and have them correct the problem and perhaps provide new glass at no cost due to faulty installation.?
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
big job

May have to adjust the vent window channel and the channel on the striker side of the
door, another words, the channels must be square with the glass. (the path) or measure
the other door glass - to be the same, you can belt sand the glass while spraying water or
they will belt sand it for free.....
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:49 PM   #9
Cool Hand Lurker

Thanks for the ideas. A couple of things come to mind. First, the windows were very hard to crank up when I got the car but they loosened up a bit with use, but not well enough.

I had the glass replaced by the upholstery shop when they were putting in a new interior. All the glass was replaced except the back window. It seemed to crank easily and work well when I first got it back from the shop. It has gone stiff again through the summer until the passenger side window became so tight that the window broke while it was being cranked up.
When I think back, the installer said they used "a lot" of WD40 in the shop. They probably used WD40 to get the window regulators loosened up and the seat rack too, which is also sticking again. Someone on Fordbarn pointed out that WD40 was not a lubricant and it dries out. Maybe this is the problem?
Also, when they installed the windshield panes I saw the guy trying to get the SS trim into the rubber gasket by ramming it with a hammer handle. The trim had to be replaced because of the damage from the hammer and he also scratched the glass surface so that had to be replaced. Their upholstery work was very good but I will not be taking the car back to that shop.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #10
1931 flamingo

Try some silicone spray in the window channels (felts). FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote