Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
ersatz

Default 6 Volt Alternator Install ? ? ? ? ?

I have a 1/2 ton 1946 Ford Flathead V8 pickup truck that is ALL STOCK. I'd like to buy a 6 Volt Positive Ground Alternator to replace the original generator.

I intend to buy the alternator from Quality Power in California which advertises their product to produce a Max of 60 amps, 40 at idle. However, there are NO installation instructions provided and I'm not too savvy with under-the-hood wiring of this sort.

Can someone provide me with the step-by-step instructions to install the alternator in my truck?

Also, if there is a better source for a 6 volt alternator w/bracket for my '46 flathead, I'd like to know. MANY THANKS!

Oh, by the way, MAC's counterpart produces a max of 30 amps at 15 RPMS and 18-20 at idle if this is of any value.
ersatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: 6 Volt Alternator Install ? ? ? ? ?

This is a direct quote from their ad.--

"This alternator has a 1-wire regulator so your only connection is a battery cable on the rear of the alternator to the vehicle's battery post"
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
gmc1941

Wiring the alternator is simple. First you remove the "Batt" wire from the old regulator and connect it to 10/32 stud on the back of the alternator marked "Batt." You can tape all the rest of the wires from the old voltage regulator back onto the orginal harness. How does work? By the use of a special regulator, the altenator uses the electrical current stored inside of the rotor to "self-excite" itself. This done when the altenator rpm reach above 1200 rpm engine speed, the internal current is released and the altenator will begin to charge. Hope this helps. Gordon
gmc1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
G.M.

Maybe Max's rating is a true rateing. 40 amps at idle on a 6 volt alternator sounds high to me. G.M.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:30 AM   #5
expavr

I'm using Ed Whitney's 6V positive ground alternator. It uses the early V8 generator shell with the guts of a tractor alternator. As I recall it is a 40 amp unit. Ed's instructions for hooking up the alternator to the system are attached. IMO the best unit out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alt1.jpg (59.7 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg alt2.jpg (45.3 KB, 186 views)
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
ersatz

I appreciate the input & help from you All! Sounds like any easy task. Just want to look into a few more possible sources for the 6 Volt Alt. If anyone knows of any other companies other than Mac's & Quality Power that offer 6 volt positive ground alternators I'd like to check them out.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
Bill Steiner

I think all the Model A parts houses sell them. Bill
Bill Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
If anyone knows of any other companies other than Mac's & Quality Power that offer 6 volt positive ground alternators I'd like to check them out.
As mentioned above, Ed Whitney does generator to alternator conversions that look and fit like the original. Just send him the generator end plates and he does the rest. I've been using one for 5+ years with no problems.

Ed Whitney
8612 Kendor Dr.
Buena Park, CA 90620
(714) 773-1611
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
ersatz

Well, after much consideration I've decided to go with Ed Whitney's 6 volt alternator. I spoke with Ed personally today and learned many details which the other 6 volt manufacturers don't mention, or offer. So, I ordered mine today (8/25) and I'm sure I'll be very pleased with maintaining the stock generator look, as well as having better lighting & battery maintenance.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
wga

ersatz - Ed Whitney's work is great, going on 3 years of no problems with
his alternator.

warren in san leandro
wga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:15 AM   #11
jimTN

Try Larry Becker Sr. at Antique Auto Electric in Norwalk OH 419-668-5986 I have his 6v alt on my 32 and all my T's. They work great and he is reasonable priced.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #12
G.M.

Jim I believe the one you are talking about is a Delco. Had a 24 volt stater installed and it realy worked. I had 2 someone gave me because they didn't charge at idle or low RPMs. I put in 24 volt stators and they charged at idle with a standard small Ford pulley. I don't like the small pulley's most converted alternators use. I also didn't like the looks of the Delco in my old Fords so I built 7 alternators in the Ford cases for my own cars. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0073.JPG (91.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0084.JPG (110.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0086.jpg (74.1 KB, 113 views)
Old 08-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #13
Bruno

Certified Auto Electric in Bedford, Ohio, has a great 6 volt positive ground alternator - 1 wire hookup. Phone is 440-439-1100
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 02:50 PM   #14
r-horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Well, after much consideration I've decided to go with Ed Whitney's 6 volt alternator. I spoke with Ed personally today and learned many details which the other 6 volt manufacturers don't mention, or offer. So, I ordered mine today (8/25) and I'm sure I'll be very pleased with maintaining the stock generator look, as well as having better lighting & battery maintenance.
Hi, I've got a 46 Ford running 6v pos too, and came across your thread on Fordbarn about converting from a generator to an alternator. Back in 2010 you decided to go with Ed Whitney's alternator. How has that unit held up for you all these years? Did you feel that making the switch from a generator to the EW alternator was worth the cost? Thanks also for posting the wiring instruction sheet.

Thanks,
RH
r-horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 05:04 PM   #15
cas3

ersatz has not been on the barn since july 2020. I'll bet some one else can help though.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 11:44 AM   #16
r-horn

Yes, I'm hoping someone who has been using one of Ed Whitney's 6v alternators can comment on how well it's been working and how well it's held up.
Thanks, RH
Old 07-04-2023, 02:55 PM   #17
cas3

I have a 12 volt whitney on my 34. Only been on for 6 or 8 thousand miles, so no durability bragging yet. They do not make a lot of amps, not sure the number. I run sealed beam headlights, which they do not recommend, and you need to be above idle to see a charge rate. I doubt at highway speed you could ever lose full battery with the lights on for long periods, but at low RPM maybe. I drive a lot at night, and I just figure it charges up next time I drive it in daylight. Overall...I'm happy with it.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 02:22 PM   #18
r-horn

Thanks, CAS3, for your experience. I'm running a stock 46 station wagon and only put on a few hundred miles a year. The car is 6v pos ground, has its generator, and I keep it on a battery tender when its not being driven. I'm debating whether I ought to change over to an alternator at all; I'm not sure the benefits would justify the cost. I typically don't drive the car at night, or in the rain. Might have the radio on for some drives.
Old 07-05-2023, 04:26 PM   #19
tubman

"cas3", do you have any idea why they recommend not running sealed beams? Ford ran sealed beams from 1940 through the eighties, both 6 and 12 volt and generators and alternators. I wonder if they have a good reason?

To the OP : I have been running my '51 with a stock 6 volt system for the last 36 years with no problems at all. I don't even think about it; I just get in it, start it and drive away. Short trips, long trips, day, night; it makes no difference. My opinion is that if you are having some kind of a problem, you have something in your system that just ain't right. I have heard that the 6 volt alternators are really expensive. From my experience, you'd just be wasting your money (which would be better spent on an Optima battery).
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 04:49 PM   #20
RKS.PA

Have to agree with Denny (tubman) above and can't speak highly enough about the benefits of a 6 volt Optima battery in our flatheads based on my experience with them since 2003.

Those PowerGen alternators that look like a generator are over $300 for the 6 volt version.

My '47 came with an 8 volt battery and conventional 8 volt alternator. I replaced the 8 volt battery with an Optima 6 volt and a stock 6 volt generator. Worked just great. But, because I was curious, I replaced the inverter in the alternator with a 6 volt one and put it on the car in the name of science!! That, too, works great. Any difference in starting, lights etc?? Nope!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote