Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #21
hardtimes

Default Re: Turlock machine

Hey Ron,
Which 'engine builder' built your A engine without oil grooves on bearings ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #22
Ron/IA

Hardtimes - I wish I knew; it was done before I bought the car, and the previous owner had passed away.

My Dad and I bought the car at auction from the previous owners estate, and the family could not provide us any information about work that had been done.

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #23
Vic in E-TN

About 12 years ago I had a bad experience with an engine builder (Sturim) that did not put the grooves in the babbitt. It took an hour or so to fail after it was in the car. They said that they built race engines and never put the grooves in. The response was that they would redo the babbitt. My response was that they would never see the engine again.

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:15 AM   #24
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

WOW disagreements and no tempers or name calling. Way to go!! I found this was a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent discussion.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:25 AM   #25
turlockmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Maybe, but it does not change the facts. Buyer beware.
You are absolutely correct, it does not change the facts. The main fact being that ALL of the crankshaft bearing caps were designed to be adjustable with shims and NONE of them were made to have the parting line on the centerline of the crank. Yes, buyer beware, I stand behind my engines with a 2 yr warranty. Go find that somewhere else.
turlockmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:13 AM   #26
Franchise_24

Quote:
Maybe, but it does not change the facts. Buyer beware.
Why do you have such a bad attitude about this man?

*Edit: I see he now has deleted his message...

Last edited by Franchise_24; 03-03-2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Update
Franchise_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #27
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
Why do you have such a bad attitude about this man?
I'm pondering the same thing.

-------------

Mitch: That all depends. But I think you would be better off just going to Joe's shop and seeing one in the assembly stage for yourself.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #28
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post

Mitch: That all depends. But I think you would be better off just going to Joe's shop and seeing one in the assembly stage for yourself.
Lol
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:25 AM   #29
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
I'm pondering the same thing.

-------------

I'm with Franchise and P.S. in pondering why there are those that seem to want to crucify this engine builder,despite what's been stated here and other threads relative to this members business ..what is going on here
Mitch of Pa, have you purchased one of his engines or been to his shop and had bad experience ? He has told us that he has built A/B engines for fifty years and has tried to explain to those who do not know engine building...what his methods involve. He is a machinist with a machine shop dedicated to building A/B engines. He has built hundreds of such engines and that is exactly what WE need in this 'hobby' ! If you do not have direct knowledge and/or evidence to support disparaging him and his business, why are you doing it ? We need to drive another engine builder off of this forum and hurt his business...without ever having gone to his business and /or buying his product ? I guess that's a goal here, as we drove a real good head builder away among others.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 AM   #30
waxhead

forever4.....time to step up to the plate
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #31
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
I'm with Franchise and P.S. in pondering why there are those that seem to want to crucify this engine builder,despite what's been stated here and other threads relative to this members business ..what is going on here
Mitch of Pa, have you purchased one of his engines or been to his shop and had bad experience ? He has told us that he has built A/B engines for fifty years and has tried to explain to those who do not know engine building...what his methods involve. He is a machinist with a machine shop dedicated to building A/B engines. He has built hundreds of such engines and that is exactly what WE need in this 'hobby' ! If you do not have direct knowledge and/or evidence to support disparaging him and his business, why are you doing it ? We need to drive another engine builder off of this forum and hurt his business...without ever having gone to his business and /or buying his product ? I guess that's a goal here, as we drove a real good head builder away among others.
Hardtime,
i was only making a joke in my post #18 and not downiing anyone or saying anything detremental about his work. you took my post out of context i guess sometimes that happens over the internet. i didnt get the impression that P.S. did also, but for anyone else that did not see it as a chuckle lets loosen up our depends a little or get a larger size. (thats another joke) geez

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 03-04-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #32
George Miller

Quote:
Well, here is how he machines the bottom of the block and resets the up-down position of the main caps, if that floats your boat. Not mine.

I do not care for doing it that way, does not work for me. But each to there own.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #33
oldwoodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
I agree. I would hope that now some of his customers would step up to the plate and help this builder out. His explanation of his practice makes sense to me, but I guess the proof is in the pudding.
oldwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #34
MikeK

P.S., Why the direct attack on Forever4 ? Who said this is a scorable debate where someone has "lost the debate and now should concede"? Is there a rubric that I missed? Obviously you wish for a 'win' in defense of the rebuild you just purchased. Why? I'm sure it will run fine for you, but not everyone has to like or agree with an unorthodox approach to fixing a leak, nor list scorable points why. That doesn't make them wrong. It doesn't make them a loser because they do not like a modification done to a part.

Count me in your loser category because I also consider any modification of a part's datum plane a poor solution to a leak. For me, a tiny smear of sealer on assembly accomplishes the same thing without irreversible machining.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #35
hardtimes

Hey Mitch,
No, I did not take it as a joke and did not realize that, as I guess that I was thinking of a mans livelihood and business taking a hit ...no matter at this time whether a hit was intended or not. Think on that ! A person can do a million good deeds and (business) be taken apart by thoughtless words. I will try to pay closer attention to posts (yours/others) for levity going forward. But, I did not ask you if you have had any direct knowledge of ..to impune. I asked because I was looking for info ..one way or another that there's evidence that Joe's work is substandard. Heck, I don't want a substandard product either. To show proof of this last statement:

Years ago, I made the looong trip to Turlock (having to camp overnight)) to check out the A/B builder there. I'd heard stories..good/bad. The bad was heard mostly from major competitor. I liked father/son shop idea and decided to support that. I had no knowledge of Joe being this shops main brain support. My Russian B is still running strong.

Anyway, I respect ALL members of this forum and would never and have never shown disrespect during agreements and/or disagreements. I try to be helpful and especially to new members. I just go on evidence pro/con for my conclusions. Did not mean to offend.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #36
machine girl

We have a larry reed motor pitbull, that the build was done by joe, a few years ago( or more ?) he is top notch and knows his stuff. many on this forum are being very disrespectful to joe without a leg to stand on. time for ryan to end this .
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #37
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine girl View Post
We have a larry reed motor pitbull, that the build was done by joe, a few years ago( or more ?) he is top notch and knows his stuff. many on this forum are being very disrespectful to joe without a leg to stand on. time for ryan to end this .
What did I miss? I didn't find any disrespectful comments except TOWARD those that disagreed with Joe's methodology on one point of interest. Nobody inferred anything negative about the quality of his work.

I am another that would not choose that method and that's My choice. Should I be castigated for sharing that? I suspect Joe would work with me if asked and build a good engine to my preferences.

As I understand it the purpose of this forum is to share information which certainly should include preferences on any aspect or restoration. If we can't do that then there would be no point in participating.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #38
mike657894

Is jnoe at turlock still doing model A engines? I wanted to give out his name as a well known rebuilder. does any one have his number. googleing turlock machine dint yield. to some one asking to get a warranted short block shipped to Europe. I have recommended Antique in skokie. others to recommend will be helpful also.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #39
Jim Brierley

And the tabs on inserts are not there to prevent brg rotation, they merely locate the brg.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #40
Bob C

I found this, don't know if it is current.
Turlock Machine
Phone 209-495-1689
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote