Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #21
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Trailer tie-down discussion

I know this post mainly delt with how we strap down a car on a trailer, but was wondering what others do about setting their emergency brake and transmission in or out of gear. I usually have the emergency brake set "on", and transmission in first or reverse. Comments please.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #22
Bill's Auto Works

If it is your vehicle & you know the e brake functions properly then use it. I transport other peoples vehicles & would never take a chance of having it not come off at my destination. Stick shifts I put in first gear, autos in park.

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Amb. Cust. Lemans
1957 Pontiac Chieftain 2 DR HT
1964 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 DR HT
1966 Pontiac Catalina Conv
1966 AMC Ambassador DPL 2 DR HT
1966 AMC Ambassador Cust 2DR HT
1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Chevy Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe
2007 Cadillac XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Bill's Auto Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #23
blucar

The subject of hauling, towing, vehicles, especially what is the best tow vehicle is like talking about women... Everyone has their own feelings about what works best for them.
Over fifty years ago I learned that a 1/2 ton pickup is fine for carrying golf clubs, a couple of potted plants from the nursery, etc.
I could write a very lengthy book about all of the friends, neighbors, relatives, etc., that have asked my for my opinion as to what would be the best vehicle to purchase for an RV that they were thinking about buying, Almost without exception, within a matter of weeks, maybe months I noted my neighbor, etc. driving a shiny new pickup with a huge camper, or travel trailer, with the back bumper dragging the ground.
One neighbor bought a Ford F150, a week later he bought a 12' self contained camper, (I could not believe that the dealer installed that big of a camper on a F150} A couple of days later I heard a loud noise out in the street.. The neighbors outfit was stuck in the dip in the intersection, hung up by the dragging rear bumper.
When I questioned my neighbor about the truck he bought, it was all about price and the salesman told him the truck was a camper special, so there would be no problem. Da!
As I said in my previous comments, my tow vehicle is a 2001 Ford F350 Super Duty 7.3 diesel, it has 164K on the odometer. The truck is not a daily driver, I generally only use it to haul one of my trailers, an enclosed 25ft 12,000.lb GVW or a 20ft 8,k GVW flat trailer.