Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
31 A4door

Default High speed gears

What gear ratio's are you using out there?
Wanting to know if I can get away with high speed gears in today's road conditions and if anyone has a good used set.
31 A4door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
modelAtony

Default Re: High speed gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 A4door View Post
What gear ratio's are you using out there?
Wanting to know if I can get away with high speed gears in today's road conditions and if anyone has a good used set.
I run 3.27 in my 31 tudor since 2001 and 2003 added mitchell 26.7 od when running car in 2003 great race. see my avatar for info. have fun modelAtony Lafayette,LA.
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

3:54 w stock head
buy the usa made ones
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

50%/50% mix of 3.27 and 3.54 on the vehicles we do.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
kentdepe

I run a 354 to 1 instead of an overdrive. If your motor is strong, it can run highway speeds with no problem.
kentdepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
Joe K

3.54. Rebuilt but not speed augmented motor. Standard cam. 1929 CC Pickup.

When I moved to Cow Hampshire, Dad followed in the family car as we wound our way up Route 110 rationalizing (incorrectly) that the back roads would be safer and more available for towing should there be problems.

"You need to hold that thing back, son. You drive too fast. I can't keep up with you."

Joe K
Old 05-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAtony View Post
I run 3.27 in my 31 tudor since 2001 and 2003 added mitchell 26.7 od when running car in 2003 great race. see my avatar for info. have fun modelAtony Lafayette,LA.
Tony, what do you have in your Model A engine? 3.27 gears with an OD, man, that is some high gears. You must have a strong engine to pull that setup, unless your always going down hill on at least on the level. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
Tony, what do you have in your Model A engine? 3.27 gears with an OD, man, that is some high gears. You must have a strong engine to pull that setup, unless your always going down hill on at least on the level. Walt
Walt , hit my avatar and you can see the short info on 31 tudor. Have fun modelAtony Lafayette,LA PS only in the past year or so people are now seeing that the 3.27 gear is pretty good. In 2001 when I went to 3.27 people said you cant run these but people finally woke up , just ask the BIG DOGS like BRENT TERRY i THINK HE IS ONE NOW THAT SAW THE LIGHT. these gears will work.

Last edited by modelAtony; 05-29-2013 at 06:52 AM.
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

"BIG DOG" ............... .<gasp gasp>.............

Walt, my opinion is it really does not take a lot of tricks but some wisely chosen items. The key item you are looking for is low-end torque. Using an IB330 cam is a smart choice. Next is having more compression (5.5 is perfectly adequate) along with a free flowing exhaust where you are not wasting horsepower trying to push the spent fuels out.

The next item I feel is a good quality ignition system. Naturally one needs to have a good spark, but more importantly is having each spark timed at the same point on each cylinder. You cannot achieve this with a worn distributor or a worn distributor camshaft as there are too many variables that cause each cylinder to fire at random times. In a game of tug-of-war, 4 boys pulling simultaneously can outpull two men who are each pulling at random times. And also remember, just because you have the overdrive does not mean you must drive with it engaged all the time.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
larrys40

Just relaying my experience in my '30 Tudor...I put a 3:54 in my '30 Tudor back in 1980 when I did it... in the later 80's. I added a Ryan overdrive and decided to leave the 3:54 and see how it did. I thought at the time if it was underpowered I would switch back to the 3:78...never did, but Actually.. it has done well... although.. on my 2nd engine, admittedly my previous .125 overbore had more power than my current .030 engine. which runs a Snyder HC head. Babbitted engine, virtually nill leakage after 15 years with this engine. (Rich Falucca rbld)

The 3.54 does well for general driving... and when on the highway the ryan is great. It is not as quiet as the Mitchell ( I think they were just coming out about that time) but it does well. I have had no problems with it... and have had several trips to Colorado, climbed Pikes Peak, Canada, and countless other trips and states including the recent Blue Ridge Pkway tour. It might be geared a little tall but it sure makes for nice highway cruising and gear splitting when needed, and of course have lower gears when needed as well. Everything mechanical is up to snuff so I don't have to worry about poor front end or braking...
I cruise on the highway about 55-60..... of course have had much faster.. and did 75+ around Indy and texas motor speedway when there for meets.

I'm an advocate for keeping them stock... with the exception of the Snyder HC head and an overdrive.... It makes them cruise a little easier in today's traffic.. and is not as hard on the engine and components. In addition they drive a little more comfortably on the interstate and other higher speed roads. Knowing your car, it's speed/power range, and driving smartly is key... and as Brent indicated you use your overdrive when applicable.

Larry S.

Last edited by larrys40; 05-29-2013 at 10:08 AM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
Purdy Swoft

I use 3.78 gears with mine and believe they are the best all around gear ratio for the model A , stock engine or modified.. Forty horsepower needs all the help it can get, especially on steep hills. The risk of lugging the engine is much greater even with 3.54 gears. A lot depends on where you want the power to be. I really don't care to cruise at 65 mph with the small foot print of the 19 or 21 inch tires. My speedster or roadster is good for a quick burst of speed up to 70-75 mph or better If we feel the urge , with the 3.78 gears. If you want a little faster cruiseing speed at lower rpm, a pair of 5.50 tires on the rear will slightly up the ratio and cruiseing speed at a much , much lower cost.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
31 A4door

You guys need to drive a Model T sometime then you will know what " The lack of Power " Really is. LOL . My T not that anymore though... Running lightened flywheel, Ported, 280 touring cam, Aluminum Pistons, Distributor, 12 Volt, Alternator, Z Head, Model B intake and exhaust with a Zeinith A carb, Ruckstell rear with High speed gears. Will now pass Model A's uphill.
31 A4door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #13
columbiA

In my A ,I run 4.11 gears which I have been using since 1960 when I first installed a Columbia OD with 2.94 ratio.In my area with a lot of mountain driving,3.54 gears with the OD would be useless for me.The added power in 3rd coupled with the OD makes for low rpm at 60.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #14
Houston Rodder

How do I determine my ratio?
Houston Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #15
Milton

Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Rodder View Post
Put the tranny in high gear, jack one wheel off the ground, insert hand crank, and count the number of revolutions the crank makes to turn the wheel exactly 2 revolutions.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #17
ctlikon0712

Quote:
Some pickups, especially the early ones could have 4:11.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
Houston Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Put the tranny in high gear, jack one wheel off the ground, insert hand crank, and count the number of revolutions the crank makes to turn the wheel exactly 2 revolutions.
Thank you
Houston Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote