Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2020, 05:10 AM   #21
glennpm
Senior Member
 
glennpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wiscasset, Maine
Posts: 963
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Atmospheric pressure only, that's why whoever is helping doesn't let the pedal up until you close the bleeder and tell them to let up. If not you suck air back into the slave cylinder and/or line when they let up on the pedal.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:05 AM   #22
51 MERC-CT
Senior Member
 
51 MERC-CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Hartford, Ct
Posts: 5,065
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
Atmospheric pressure only, that's why whoever is helping doesn't let the pedal up until you close the bleeder and tell them to let up. If not you suck air back into the slave cylinder and/or line when they let up on the pedal.
The original poster has installed 'Speed bleeders' so sucking air back into the system is not a factor.
__________________
DON'T RECALL DOING SOMETHING FOR MYSELF BASED ON SOMEONE ELSE'S LIKES OR DISLIKES
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-25-2020, 06:23 AM   #23
mike42
Senior Member
 
mike42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gaylord, Michigan
Posts: 1,390
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Coopman...that Korbel note was funny as I had a guy in Germany who drank that and I always stayed with the Jack.

So....my brake pedal has gone to the floor several times in this long process. Have I created some damage in doing so ?

Drum is going on this morning and I'm going to start the process over again.

Once again.....you fill the master.....pump the pedal.....and turn off the speed bleeder as you refill the master and then turn on the bleeder while I pump the pedal again ? Am I getting that correct ? It's 33 here now and I hope I don't have to start drinking again this morning !!

Thx much..... Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:38 AM   #24
51 MERC-CT
Senior Member
 
51 MERC-CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Hartford, Ct
Posts: 5,065
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike42 View Post
Coopman...that Korbel note was funny as I had a guy in Germany who drank that and I always stayed with the Jack.

So....my brake pedal has gone to the floor several times in this long process. Have I created some damage in doing so ?

Drum is going on this morning and I'm going to start the process over again.

Once again.....you fill the master.....pump the pedal.....and turn off the speed bleeder as you refill the master and then turn on the bleeder while I pump the pedal again ? Am I getting that correct ? It's 33 here now and I hope I don't have to start drinking again this morning !!

Thx much..... Mike
With the Speed bleeder open, pump the pedal 2-3 times, close the bleeder. (do this just once)
You should not have to add brake fluid at this point but check it and add if necessary.

NOW go to opposite side and do the same.
__________________
DON'T RECALL DOING SOMETHING FOR MYSELF BASED ON SOMEONE ELSE'S LIKES OR DISLIKES
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #25
bbrocksr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yakima Washington
Posts: 628
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Ok, I will modify my post. I have never attempted to bleed brakes without the drums on and the way I bleed them it would not work. I put a lot of pressure on the brake pedal, and thus the hydraulics, and it would over power the return springs.
Bleeding brakes without the drums on is pretty risky, Easy to blow your wheel cylinders apart.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #26
JSeery
Senior Member
 
JSeery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wichita KS
Posts: 15,291
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
34PKUP: How much pressure is being is being exerted on the wheel cylinder when the bleeder is open and the brake pedal goes to the floor?


You seem to use a different method of bleeding brakes than I do. I have never used speed bleeders or any other aids like that. Been doing brakes from the time I was around 14 and have never had the slightest problem bleeding them. The way I have always done them you apply a lot of foot pressure on the brake pedal, crack the bleed screw, then retighten it. I'm sure there are other ways to go about it, but so far I'll stick with what has worked 100% of the time for me.

Last edited by JSeery; 10-25-2020 at 04:31 PM.
JSeery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:10 AM   #27
rich b
Senior Member
 
rich b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,262
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Never having used Speed-bleeders; how do you tell when there are no more air bubbles?
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #28
51 MERC-CT
Senior Member
 
51 MERC-CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Hartford, Ct
Posts: 5,065
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
You seem to use a different method of bleeding brakes than I do. I have never used speed bleeders or any other aids like that. Been doing brakes from the time I was around 14 and have never had the slightest problem bleeding them. The way I have always done them you apply a lot of foot pressure on the brake pedal, crack the bleed screw, then retighten it. I'm sure there are other ways to go about it, but so far I'll stick with what has worked 100% of the time for me.
By all means, you should continue using whatever method works for you.
'Speed bleeders' are a different animal.
The pedal is depressed while the bleeder is open and without pre-pumping to build up pressure.
Then, after a few pumps and with the pedal in the return position, the bleeder is closed without ever putting pressure on the wheel cylinder.
This is possible because the bleeder has a check valve built in so that on the back stroke no air is allowed to be sucked back into the system, like standard bleeders that have to be closed after each stroke.
__________________
DON'T RECALL DOING SOMETHING FOR MYSELF BASED ON SOMEONE ELSE'S LIKES OR DISLIKES
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:21 AM   #29
51 MERC-CT
Senior Member
 
51 MERC-CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Hartford, Ct
Posts: 5,065
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
Never having used Speed-bleeders; how do you tell when there are no more air bubbles?
By looking at the clear drain tube, if you choose to.
__________________
DON'T RECALL DOING SOMETHING FOR MYSELF BASED ON SOMEONE ELSE'S LIKES OR DISLIKES
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #30
19Fordy
Senior Member
 
19Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 8,288
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Mike 42: When you get done bleeding you'll probably want to adjust your brakes for optimum performance.
This thread tells how. I use a 2 x 4 and a bathroom scale as a pedal jack.
Don't forget to also adjust your emergency brake.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...40+ford+brakes
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:49 AM   #31
Kube
Senior Member
 
Kube's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 6,388
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34PKUP View Post
How much pressure is being is being exerted on the wheel cylinder when the bleeder is open and the brake pedal goes to the floor?
To reiterate my post #11:
I believe my quote is perhaps the best way I am able to respond...
__________________
"I can explain it for you. However, I can't understand it for you".
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:27 PM   #32
1931 flamingo
Senior Member
 
1931 flamingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: new britain,ct 06052
Posts: 8,770
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

I think BEFORE I bled the brakes I would adjust them??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #33
bobH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: so cal, placerville, vegas
Posts: 1,131
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

W O W..... 32 posts, just to bleed f-n brakes? I just finished brakes on a 52 Willys, starting with a completely 'open', 'empty' system. Took about two of those small cans. Never knew I had to know all that is posted here. Whew... I'm exhausted.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:08 PM   #34
V8COOPMAN
Senior Member
 
V8COOPMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Shore of LAKE HOUSTON
Posts: 7,265
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
W O W..... 32 posts, just to bleed f-n brakes? I just finished brakes on a 52 Willys, starting with a completely 'open', 'empty' system. Took about two of those small cans. Never knew I had to know all that is posted here. Whew... I'm exhausted.
Funny/Sad/Spot-on! WHEW....I feel kind'a 'whooped' now, too! DD
__________________
T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

It's interesting that so many people know SO MUCH stuff....that just ain't so!
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #35
mike42
Senior Member
 
mike42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gaylord, Michigan
Posts: 1,390
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Guys I worked on it today and it’s getting better but we have snow coming in northern Michigan the next couple days. Barn not heated so I think this will have wait til Spring. I appreciate all the help and I’ll be back in touch. I saved all this info to refer to in Spring.

Thx.....Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #36
19Fordy
Senior Member
 
19Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 8,288
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Mike, Wow, i looked on the map and you are pretty far North. Can you buy a little space heater and get the job done before spring?
I know that's easy for me to say living in FL where its 78 right now.
Any neighbors who could help you?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:34 PM   #37
JSeery
Senior Member
 
JSeery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wichita KS
Posts: 15,291
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
W O W..... 32 posts, just to bleed f-n brakes? I just finished brakes on a 52 Willys, starting with a completely 'open', 'empty' system. Took about two of those small cans. Never knew I had to know all that is posted here. Whew... I'm exhausted.
Can't disagree with that!
JSeery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #38
mike42
Senior Member
 
mike42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gaylord, Michigan
Posts: 1,390
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Fordy..... I live on a big Lake up here and only have a couple of neighbors through the Winter season. In fact we have 2 ladies pass away this last month and there’s really no one around. I’ll probably try to work a little bit with the heater I’ve got but it’s pretty cold and snow tonight and morning. I’ll advise.

Thx........Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #39
Talkwrench
Senior Member
 
Talkwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 2,546
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

speedbleeders are one of the best things I ever bought. After reassembling the diff and installing it I pumped the pedal slowly, always slowly and not all the way to the floor on a single circuit system. Cracked the far RHS bleeder open and I heard a rush of air, then a further 5 pumps making sure the clear tube has fluid with no air lock it off over to the other side 5 pumps done! Didn't even worry about the front, nice hard pedal and all done myself, easy.
__________________
"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
Talkwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #40
V8COOPMAN
Senior Member
 
V8COOPMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Shore of LAKE HOUSTON
Posts: 7,265
Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
speedbleeders are one of the best things I ever bought. After reassembling the diff and installing it I pumped the pedal slowly, always slowly and not all the way to the floor on a single circuit system. Cracked the far RHS bleeder open and I heard a rush of air, then a further 5 pumps making sure the clear tube has fluid with no air lock it off over to the other side 5 pumps done! Didn't even worry about the front, nice hard pedal and all done myself, easy.
I believe pushing pedal SLOWLY is the 'key' element here. DD
__________________
T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

It's interesting that so many people know SO MUCH stuff....that just ain't so!
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.