Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #1
jerry shook

Default 31 s/w

Looking for a left rear door latch for my Slant window the one in my car wont lock. I have had it out and don"t see anything wrong. you can hold the inside handle up and it is harder to open from outside but it will still open. any one had this problem.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:57 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: 31 s/w

Jerry it is either the latch or the remote. when lifting the handle to the lock position the rod move into the latch and dead bolts the latch. if the rod is to short for some reason it will not move far enough to do its job. also look at the remote and see if on the back side if it has a little dog that stops the movement. the right front doors remotes on all slant window bodies are make so can NOT lock them from the inside.and the right front and left rear will interchange, except for the little dog and length of the rod.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:25 AM   #3
jerry shook

Thank"s JW. WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR I NOTICED THAT DOOR HAD A WARPED PLACE AND I FIGURED IT HAD WENT BACK TO FOR. ALSO WHILE APART I SAW THAT THE INSIDE OF THE DOOR LOOKED WARPED A LITTLE THAT COULD BE CAUSING THE ROD NOT TO MOVE FOR ENOUGH. THE DOOR OPENS AND CLOSES GREAT SO I NEVER FIXED IT. ALSO THE WINDOW REGULATOR I BOUGHT FROM YOU A FEW YEARS BACK LOOKED LIKE NEW AND WORKED GREAT.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #4
jw hash

Jerry
unbolt your remote and pull it out of the hole in the inner panel now grab on to the rod and shove back toward the latch when it stops, now try and see if it is locked from the outside. that will point you in the right direction.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Sounds as if the remote rod "might" be twisted, altering its' proper action???
Bill W.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
jerry shook

If it don"t go far enough to lock is there any adjustment. I did not see any wear to the remote. as old as it is tho im sure there is some but only minor. I may try pushing the inter door fram in a little to see if it helps.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
jw hash

Jerry
there is no adjustment. if the rod is to short. cut it in two and add a little more to it.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:00 AM   #8
jerry shook

Jw My right front door will lock with the inside handle. Some one before i got the car put the wrong one in it . So am i correct that the R/F and the L/R will interchange. Do i swap everthing or just the rod. Thank"s for your help.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #9
jw hash

the rods are different lengths so you just can not swap them, the latches are the same RF & LR. someone might have forced the right front inner handle and bent the little dog over. I cut the one off on my Victoria because the wife wants to lock the door from the inside. she feels safer.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #10
MrBruce

Jerry, it's taken me over an hour but maybe this will go through this time. I will also try to download a picture. I was told 30 years ago when we bought our 31 S/W that you could swap the R/F with the L/R and vise versa. So, I did it since the back doors didn't get the use the fronts did. One tour the R/F door locked by itself (the locking lever just flapped) and so when it was shut it locked. The problem it wouldn't unlock with the key. I broke the windshield trying to get into the car. I was more careful and didn't think much more until last year someone on the forum had the same problem and one of our great members knew exactly what it was. He said you can't put the R/F door latch on any other position other than R/F. He sent a picture showing a tab (he highlighted it w/a magic marker). I will try to download the picture and you will see his point. I will be changing my F/R back to what it was as soon as our weather gets warmer. Hopefully I can get this picture to work. Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: bmp SWDoorLockmm.bmp (3.5 KB, 44 views)
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote