Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Gary-UK

Default AOD in to a 57

Hello...

I have a 57 Ranchero project that I am just getting started on, the original engine and trans has gone and I have a carb'd 302 small block for it. I fancy running an AODE trans but reckon I will have to modify the trans tunnel to clear it. Anyone done this who can confirm if this is the case?
Gary-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
ford1

Default Re: AOD in to a 57

get an aod out of a 1989 and down car, those are all hydralicly, controled, no wiring needed
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
JeffB2

It shouldn't require any mods,I have a 302 & AOD in a '54 which is smaller than your '57 there is plenty of room, use an Energy suspension trans mount part#4-1104G $21.95 at Summit.If you are running a Carb get the Lokar TV cable and bracket it makes it super EZ to hook up.Try to get a 1987-92 AOD which is non-computer the AODE is computer control for lots of info on AOD's check out www.clickclickracing.com.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
steve fritz

JeffB2......I am planning the same ford swap into a 51 Ford ragtop. Should I also get this Energy mount at Summit for my 51? Or does Summit have a different application number for the 51 chassis, probably a little different frame , cross member than the 57? What is your thoughts on 302 vrs 351??? I am not interested in racing application, just want a nice cruiser.
On a different subject, does aybody carry a complete wiring harness upgrade for this 51 ? I want to ditch the original 6 volt and convert everything to 12 Volt on the 51.
Thanks for any info you can give. This is my first real street rod project and I need to ask lots of maybe stupid questions. I have restored several 50's cars, 57 T-Bird, 57 Ranchsro, 54 Mercury, 56 Sord, but always just completely stock projects. Always admired the street rod guys, so I am going that route this time.
Thanks again,
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
parklane

The same combo is going in my 56. Easy install with a front sump pan.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #6
JeffB2

Steve,the Energy suspension mount is still a good idea to use, 49-56 Ford standard transmissions were the same length your '51 has a larger transmission tunnel than a '49-50 so the AOD will clear and should attach to the existing crossmember.It is easier to use a 302/5.0 than a 351 the later Fox Body Mustangs used a dual sump oil pan the center of the pan provides clearance for the existing '51 crossmember (same '49-53) you should get your front mounts from www.speedwaymotors.com if you install the engine and transmission as a unit loosely bolt the trans mount first then laying a level across the intake lower the front of the engine to where it sits level then mark the position of where the conversion mounts will be attached,remove the drivetrain and secure the new mounts then reinstall motor&trans.The 351W is wider which can present some issues, no problem with a 302/5.0.As far as the rewire contact member glenn33 on the H.A.M.B.and get a Rebel Wire harness kit from Him great prices,and bar none the best customer service around if you have a problem just pick up the phone and help will be there and parts are 100% USA made.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
steve fritz

JeffB2....thanks for the info. I had no idea about the 302 vrs 351 engine size problems. I'll go the 302 route. What years Ford or Mustang should I look for to find an engine/tranny? There are several salvage yards up here I can check with. Should I stick with just Mustang or would other full size Fords have the same set-up?
Steve
I just got a Speedway catalog, so I'll get the mounts there. And I'll contact glenn33 on the wiring harness. Thanks again for the leads on this.
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
JeffB2

The best years for an AOD are 1987-92 these are non-computer and have all the factory mods the earlier ones did not have that had issues.1985 and later 302/5.0 were roller cam motors most of these will have that dual sump pan,if you are going to run Carb instead of F.I. there will be a few other things you will need, pm me when you get your donor engine and trans and we will deal with that,the only difference in AODs is the full size cars are 1 1/2" longer but you will need to alter the driveshaft anyway so no biggie.With a mild 302/5.0 and auto trans. you could use your stock rear end if you are planning to swap let me know.