Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2019, 10:56 PM   #1
PalAl

Default Hot Driver

This year in the midwest it was either raining or we had extream heat, both limited my Model A drive time. After being hospitalized twice for heat stroke I just can't handle the heat. At the risk of starting a purest battle I will ask this
How many of you have converted to 12 volt and installed AC? I understand it may be common in the Texas area. If you have done this conversion how is it working, how did the install go, how much power does it rob, where did you get it from, cost and lastly would you do it again. I have seen a window AC unit stuck in the back window of a Sedan...... that's not the route I would like to take. My car is a driver so I'm not worried about points.
Thank you
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:31 AM   #2
daveymc29

Default Re: Hot Driver

I bought a kit from a guy in Tx. Name is (Ed?) Davis. It went into my 31 coupe fine and we found the instructions on wiring a bit confusing so I went to a friend who has a unit in his car and found the reason is that the power is split so that only half of it goes through the ammeter. When we understood that part it went together fine. I opted to shorten the parking brake handle to give room for the evaporator I will eventually order an accessary release handle to use on it as it is about useless now. My friends unit was move toward the passenger side, 3 inches or so, and the mounting bracket was "let into"the evaporator to raise that part toward the dash for more foot room, something I would do next time.The cooling might not be as good in my car as it would be if I had been restoring the interior and a new top, but it is pretty good on those 100 degree days and I have noticed no robbing of power or increase in fuel use since the installation.Another bit that took some doing was to make changes to the mounting of the Compressor, alternator and drive belt so I could adjust the slack out of the pulley and not ruin my belt. Tomorrow I will try to find the number of the belt I used, which I bought locally. I will send that to you and a picture or two if you PM me your email address, My bride is a victim of scleroderma, the mummies decease, which has stolen her natural ability to control her body temperature. This has helped her to enjoy rides in the coupe on days which would have been denied her without the a/c unit. Cost was a little over $1100.00, plus I paid a shop to chase a and repair a leak (my fault) and fill the unit to specks. That was $250.00 and has held up for two summers so far. So all told, under $1500.00 and took me a couple of days of actual work. I did have a younger friend here the first day as he is much better than I on figuring out electrical things, Even so we did make a trip across town to see another installation and create a readable wiring diagram. Good Luck

Last edited by daveymc29; 11-10-2019 at 12:45 AM.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
PalAl

Thank you for your information on the AC unit. I have my car pretty well insulated, and sound deadend which I was told is a good help in cooling. I would appreciate any information, pictures, wiring digram etc. from you and any friends that would be kind enough to share what they have done. I have a 29 Fordor, wonder if the larger interior would cool as good. Please check your PM for my e-mail address Thank you
Alan Pedersen
Rock-Ford-A's
MARC
MAFCA
MAFFI
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (81.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 11-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
kenparker

I have installed my own self built system in 3 model a's (2 fordors and one 31 coupe. The coupe is my regular driver and has been in and running for over 5 years now. I build my own brackets.

Cost of my three ran around $800 to $1000 for all tthe parts. Time consuming to build the brackets.
]The more insulation you put into the cabin the better the systems work. Especially the firewall.

Dont worry about the HP pull of the compressor on the engine. Probably less than 2 hp. At idle my engine makes no difference in rpm's when the compressor kicks in.

I also installed one of the Ken Davis kits in a friends fordor. The Ken Davis kit is complete with all the brackets, pre measured hoses, clamps, compressor, electricals, etc. Not to bad installation job, but the electrical diagrams/instructions that were sent were confusing. This could have changed .'cause this kit was installed three years ago. You will have to contact Ken Davis to get pricing.

I am currently designing a system larger more robust for my woody - see pix.

BTW dont mix up Ken Parker (me) with Ken Davis (the Ft.Worth A/C guy. We are both from Texas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10 26 2019 a.JPG (336.0 KB, 32 views)
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #5
PalAl

Thanks for the info Ken, I have the firewall, cowls, floor and under the seat insulated quite well this has helped with the heat, but like Jerry Reid said" When your hot, your hot"! I'm finding out AC is not as uncommon as I thought. Did you and your passenger loose much leg room? Good to hear there is no real HP loss
Old 11-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #6
kenparker

Driver does not loose any space and a long legged passsenger, like me could loose some knee room. See picture and you be judge. In this instaaall I built in some vertical adjustment and the evaporator could be moved up 3/4"
, but is not necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a c and big feet.JPG (328.0 KB, 122 views)
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:07 AM   #7
Herb Concord Ca

I installed a Ken Davis A/C unit in my 31 slant town sedan in 2010. Best thing you can do if you want to drive long distances in your A. Ken has made these kits for over 20 years. They are complete with brackets and custom made hoses made for your Model A. You have to convert to 12volts. Has run great, you never notice the compressor cycle unless you watch the ammeter. Keeps the car very cool even in a sedan.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #8
Jordan

You cannot go wrong with a Ken Davis kit. That is who EVERYONE uses. It is cost effective and high quality. The condenser is in the back of the car so you don't have to worry about that effecting the cooling of the car with it in front of the radiator, like in some of the other kits sold. You will not regret it and you won't find a better deal. Just order yours now.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:02 PM   #9
PalAl

Ken, Herb and Jordan Thank you for the feed back and pictures.
Jordan I like your advice "Just order yours now" I have always been one to research until what I am researching is outdated!! I take a beating from my kids for that...LOL
I guess it's as good as time as ever, a good winter project
Old 11-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #10
Dave in MN

I installed a Ken Davis unit in my '31 Slant Windshield. I am well satisfied with the way it works. I only notice a drop in engine RPM at idle. It was not difficult to install.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:31 PM   #11
PalAl

Thanks Dave, this is what I was hoping to hear. "Not difficult"
Old 11-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #12
30 Closed Cab PU

1st time I opened this thought it may be a discussion of women drivers like Courtney Force and Danica Patrick.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #13
PalAl

That's funny.......... I never thought of that!
Those girls do set some incredible records..........