Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
duffer

Default Anti-freeze Question

I have anti-freese in my 30 coupe right now and a guy from my club said ,for the summer, i should drain the anti-freeze and put in water with a bottle of (GUNK anti rust with water pump lube) because the anti freeze is bad for the engine...Is that true....
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Anti-freeze Question

I'm not sure what he means by 'bad'. If he means the coolant is bad for bearing material/babbitt then he is right. If no coolant is getting into the base, no harm done. Water will cool better than a 50/50 coolant mix. I use distilled water with a rust inhibitor and just drain it for the winter.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

did you repair your coolant in the oil problem? never heard the update or missed it.

to answer your question NO
i run 50/50 all year
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Karl

If antifreeze gets diluted beyond a certain point it apparrently can cause acclerated corrosion . Fortunately I live in a climate where we rarely get freezing temperatures and if we did it would be over night when my car is in its nice warm garage. So I run a rust inhibitor and water only.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I use antifreeze in all my cars and leave it in year round.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
V4F

i live in a none freezing area & only use "water weeter" . when i lived in the cold i used antifreeze with no problems . -45* , so it was more than 50/50 .
Old 04-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Tiny

I like antifreeze. I buy two gallons and two gallons of distilled water. This make 4 gallons of mix at 50/50. Your A takes 3 gallons. This gives you an extra gallon mixed for the trunk and 3 empties for the used. My dad has run antifreeze for 40+ years with no issues in Model A's. that being said I did have a GM motor that preferred hose water! Go figure?
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
duffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
did you repair your coolant in the oil problem? never heard the update or missed it.

to answer your question NO
i run 50/50 all year
I filled the oil back up after i drained it and i found no more coolant in the oil, also there is no oil in the radiator so i'll wait and see . I'm watching it though.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Rich in Tucson

I live in a "non-freeze" area and because of that I think I am surrounded by the greatest concentration of cracked block water jackets and rusted out heads and blocks in the country!

In my experience old type ethylene or propylene glycol antifreeze kept at the proper strength (meaning don't try to get 5 years of use out of it) provides the best corrosion protection available for any coolant. Prestone no longer offers this type of antifreeze in Tucson.

I have heard from owners of various old car makes that "extended life" antifreezes, and particularly the green one from Prestone, eats through various gasketing materials and causes leaks. If true, it appears that it offers poor corrosion protection for old cars.

O'Reilly Stores offers a store brand, old-fashioned ethyelene glycol antifreeze labeled for "all cars" that I understand is made by - Prestone!
Rich in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer View Post
I filled the oil back up after i drained it and i found no more coolant in the oil, also there is no oil in the radiator so i'll wait and see . I'm watching it though.
definetly retorque the head and dont put anti in till your sure. keep cracking the oil drain plug loose looking for h20
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
I'm not sure what he means by 'bad'. If he means the coolant is bad for bearing material/babbitt then he is right. If no coolant is getting into the base, no harm done. Water will cool better than a 50/50 coolant mix. I use distilled water with a rust inhibitor and just drain it for the winter.
Anti Freeze has a higher boiling point than plain water.....
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
glenn in camino

While working on my one Model A that I use antifreeze in because of an aluminum head I drained the radiator. The antifreeze ate the paint off my painted engine pan. Is powder coating resistant to antifreeze?
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
While working on my one Model A that I use antifreeze in because of an aluminum head I drained the radiator. The antifreeze ate the paint off my painted engine pan. Is powder coating resistant to antifreeze?
NO, I powdercoated the bottom water pipe, inside and out, thinking it would make it last a very long time. Within weeks the powdercoating had all peeled from the inside of the pipe and was in the top tank of the radiator.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
Joe K

Be VERY careful on how you dispose of used anti-freeze. Something about the taste/smell something that attracts cats and dogs and other animals. They lap it up and it tastes sweet to them or something. And ingesting anti-freeze causes them to die a horrible death with liver damage IIRC.

Joe K
Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
35Allen

I run 50/50 coolant year round in MT.

Al
35Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #16
marc hildebrant

50/50 water and antifreeze does boil at a higher temp than plain water, but it also doesn't transfer the heat as well as plain water.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Well, Duffer, My Friend, "they" got you covered with every kind of advice imaginable!! Just close your eyes & pick!!
I wish I had all the $$$$$ that's been spent on WATER WETTER, or WETTER WATER, or however you say it! I could be RICH! Even if it was great MAGIC stuff, that small amount wouldn't matter much more than a cat's whisker in your sandwich or a Dandruff Flake in your Falafal! Each time your gas attendant tops up your radiator, and it seeks it's "HAPPY LEVEL" again, (just above the tubes), shortly your "MAGIC POTION" is GONE Did you tip him for the GREAT SERVICE?
So, are all "MODERN" cars slowly being destroyed by using that DREADED Anti-Freeze year around?
Buster just asked, "Whatcha' doin typing all this nonsense, when you should be gettin' Vermin runnin' for my FIRST ride"?? Bill W.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #18
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffer View Post
I have anti-freese in my 30 coupe right now and a guy from my club said ,for the summer, i should drain the anti-freeze and put in water with a bottle of (GUNK anti rust with water pump lube) because the anti freeze is bad for the engine...Is that true....
In a properly working engine, no that is not true. If you have an engine that leaks antifreeze into the oil, yes I've been told it will damage babbit.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #19
JBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Joe, same thing happening to humans who use ibuprofen, it rots out your liver.

A girl two years ahead of me in school just died last week from liver failure. She had been taking ibuprofen daily for arthritis, for a number of years She suffered a great deal.
How did we get from anti-freeze vs. water to this? Just askin'.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #20
duffer

So i guess just plain water would be the way to go , as long as it's not gonna freeze outside.