Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #21
TomO

Default Re: 39-48 Rear Wheel Cylinder Problem

I prefer the Wagner brake cylinders sold by a local parts house.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:44 PM   #22
dixiedelux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
I think we better hold on to our old American wheel cylinders and have them sleeved with stainless steel. I would think they would never need to be done again. Marv
Wll Tim, I read your thread and now am scared to death. I'll be expecting for them to leak. did you ever figure out why it was always the left front cylinder leaking in your situation? Marv reminds me that my brake restoration with new parts works well, but not as well as Jim Hall's 49 chevy job. He had all 4 cylinders borde and re-sleeved!
dixiedelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #23
GEOFFNZ

Have had the same problem with new cylinders with input hole half way along the cup.Used the old ones reconditioned in the finish. Geoff
GEOFFNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #24
johnh7

I am going to be testing my newly installed hydraulic brakes for leaks in a few days, but now I am worried! However information I read here does give me hope that I can find a solution if I have leaks. Wish me luck.

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #25
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith View Post
First to let all know that I have not worked on this vintage of brakes until now. I was asked to replace the rear wheel cylinders since I had the drums off checking the condition of the shoes. The front cylinders were replaced before, the rears were not. I replaced them with new that I was given. After starting to bleed the lines I found that the right cyl. was leaking on the front side. The left side had a small leak, not sure were it coming from. I made the decision to purchase a new set of cylinders, thinking that I did something wrong or there was a problem with them. I installed them today. I took my time making sure everything was done properly. Started the Bleeding of the brakes on the right rear, same problem again with a larger leak of fluid. Please HELP! What I'm doing wrong?
Your not doing nothing wrong. The problem is these cheap replacement cylinders. I had 8 or 10 do the same thing. replaced the rubber cups with Wagner cups and no more leaks. G.M.